Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Share your DMV Horror Stories..............
Old 05-03-2007, 08:54 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I held my MI D/L until I got off active duty here in NJ. (no memorable probs with MI DMV either) There was a lot of hoopla over the info you needed to graduate from the old PHOTOLESS NJ Nriver's Licenses. I walked into a MVC with the following : passport, birth cert, mil ID, MI D/L, mail, bank statement, cash, credit/debit cards, wallet full of misc crapola....laid it all on the counter, and told the clerk, "It's me - and I need a new license - where do I sign" - the clerk laughed, picked what he needed to make the 6-point ID verification checklist...then worked my way from station to station to walk out with a shiny new NJ D/L. (about an hour for testing, photo, waiting) Renewals and ticket paying can easily be completed online here.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

My favorite DMV experience was in rural Ohio. It was an old stone building, very small, with just one woman working there. I walked in, and not seeing anybody else, didn't bother with the plastic "take a number" cards and went right up to the counter. The woman glared at me and said sternly, "TAKE A NUMBER." I looked around, smiled at the absurdity, then took a number and sat down on the old wooden bench. There was nobody else in the room besides her and me. As soon as I sat down, she called out "ONE!" I said, "Hey, that's me!" and put my number back on the peg, and returned to the counter.

Some people really can't handle any variation from their routine...

Old 05-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC
My favorite DMV experience was in rural Ohio. It was an old stone building, very small, with just one woman working there. I walked in, and not seeing anybody else, didn't bother with the plastic "take a number" cards and went right up to the counter. The woman glared at me and said sternly, "TAKE A NUMBER." I looked around, smiled at the absurdity, then took a number and sat down on the old wooden bench. There was nobody else in the room besides her and me. As soon as I sat down, she called out "ONE!" I said, "Hey, that's me!" and put my number back on the peg, and returned to the counter.

Regardless of your number they treat you like number 2
Old 05-03-2007, 03:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC

At least the number she called out was yours. If she had yelled, "FIFTY-SEVEN?", you might have been in for a long wait.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:42 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK - this isn't really a "horror story" - but it was pretty intimidating to me:

When I took my Class B driving test in our diesel pusher motorhome last year, a state trooper decided to come along for the ride!!!

Actually - the horror story would have been if they had required me to parallel park that 37ft motorhome - thank goodness they did not!!!!

Audrey

P.S. A lot of motorhome owners don't realize that many states require you to upgrade your license to drive a motorhome with GVWR exceeding 26,000 pounds. In these states many of the DMV offices don't realize this law either, and don't know what to do with you! It can result in many layers of confusion.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #26

Audreyh1's comment on the DMV not knowing what to do with people who don't fit into a predefined box reminded me of the time my wife tried to register an out of state corporate vehicle. They kept her waiting for two hours until they could find someone who knew what to do with the paperwork.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:33 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Some years ago I bought a motorcycle. The prior owner filled out all sorts of stuff (name, address, odometer reading) on the title transfer paper, but forgot to sign his name. I didn't notice and took the title into the DMV to transfer. The clerk noticed and said it couldn't be transfered without a signature. I said oh, no, he lives 200 miles away. She then coyly said, "it doesn't have to be notarized or anything."
Years ago here in Virginia I was told by the rural DMV lady in a completely empty (except for me) office that I should just go over to that desk and have my wife sign it, while she gave me a big wink. Well, I went over there, signed my wife's name, and brought the form back to her. She didn't say a word and completed the transaction.

It's not like that around here any more.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to say I don't have any.....

You can get your renewal here in Texas at a local store OR mail them in and wait... I think they last about 6 or 7 years before you need a new plate.. if so, I will be on my third plate on one of my cars soon...

You can even renew your drivers license by mail until it get 'old' and you then need to go in... for that great photo... I have not been in since '98
Old 05-04-2007, 01:20 PM   #29

TX is the best state to renew your license IMHO. While i was stationed there I lost my wallet and decided to get a TX license instead of dealing with replacing my CA DMV long distance. I was in and out in no time. Fast forward five or six years and it was time for me to renew my license and I ended up doing it online in less than 5 minutes. They didn't even care that my mailing address was now in GA. We did the same thing when we bought a vehicle from a dealer in TX and had it shipped to GA. I paid the TX taxes instead of GA along with the registration which was much cheaper than GA taxes. Never managed to get hassled by the GA police for an out of state tag because we were in a military town. BTW, the registration on the vehicle was about $300 in GA and $75 in TX!
Old 05-04-2007, 01:40 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

What Arif said. Get your license and register your vehicles in Texas, but live somewhere else.

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

California DMV has been fine, even though I'd dreaded it like the dentist.

I remember waiting six hours in line in a NY DMV when I was a teenager. Could it really have been that long? Then, they got the name wrong on the driver's license.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #32

In Mass, the DMV's I have been too worked great. Never had to wait more than a few minutes. Service is generally effecient and pleasant. They have a nice automated system whereby you come in, take a ticket/number and then sit and wait until you are called. In the old days (i.e. 20 years ago), you had to get in line and wait for a long-time to be served. The DMV has really improved quite a bit in the last decades.

No complaints here.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #33

Years ago I bought a used car from a dealer. The car had been traded through several dealers before it got to my dealer. As you may know vehicles that pass from dealer to dealer are not re-titled at each transaction. There is a short form. Only when sold and registered is the vehicle re-titled.

So the car I bought had a gap in the paperwork trail. One dealer sheet was missing out of the middle. So the thing looked like... TITLED car sold to dealer A, then to dealer B, to dealer D, to me. Dealer B clearly identified Dealer C, and dealer D clearly acknowledged buying said vehicle from dealer C. Would NY DMV register my car? Nooooooo. Further, dealer C had gone out of business. What to do?

That same day, I drove to the DMV in the next town and waited until lunch time when the place was packed and there were screaming kids running wild. Left with the plates.