Join Early Retirement Today

Share your DMV Horror Stories..............
Old 05-02-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Share your DMV Horror Stories..............

Here's mine:

I had to recently renew my license as mine had expired. I waited the customary 40 minutes in line until my number was called.

A very cranky lady who looked bored started "helping" me. When I went to pay, she told me they don't accept VISA credit cards. That's ok, I said, it's a debit card. We don't accept those either, she said, only cash or check. I had neither, so I left to hunt around for an ATM to get cash out of because DW keeps the joint checkbook under lock and key..........

I come back 15 minutes later, and there are only 2 windows open, because there's a TOUR GROUP of HS kids going through. I waited another 45 minutes before my name was called...................

The ONLY place it said they took only check or cash was a little placard at each station by the agents............NOWHERE ELSE................. :P

To top it off, my agent (different one) was "locked out" of my online profile because the other lady had put me in "hold status", so they had to get a nameless moron supervisor to "unlock" the computer..........

So I lost 2 hours of my life trying to get a stupid license renewed.......... :P

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Share your DMV Horror Stories..............
Old 05-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

When spouse and I were on active duty we were Florida residents in absentia for nearly 20 years on military orders to various duty stations. We kept renewing our driver's licenses by mail and I think they were due to expire in 2004.

When she left active duty in 2001 some databases apparently swapped the information and Florida cancelled her driver's license. As my spouse she was still eligible for her FL license so we never thought that would become an issue. (USAA never noticed a problem.) She never received any mail or other notification and she remained blissfully ignorant.

I retired in June 2002 so in July we turned ourselves in reported to the Hawaii DMV to obtain our state driver's licenses. They gave us the multiple-choice test, we passed, they finally snapped our photos and gave us our shiny new Hawaii driver's licenses. We were outta there in a couple hours.

The databases must've updated overnight. Next morning all hell broke loose-- phone calls, faxes, and threats to arrest my spouse for fraudulently obtaining her license. I drove her down to the DMV (they actually interrogated me in order to verify that she wasn't driving) where they shredded her license. They were about to kick her out of the DMV (to start over with an eye exam and a learner's permit) when we pointed out that FL must've made a mistake and wouldn't our local TV station like to help investigate the problem? After a management huddle it was agreed that spouse should retake the test (same test, she wasn't going to ask questions) and a road test. There was some bickering about "all the other people who were already waiting for their road test" and we pointed out that it was their decision to shred her license. They finally decided that it was better to get rid of her now than to let the TV station problem fester any longer.

We have to renew our licenses next year. I can't wait to see what they have waiting for us.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

About the worst I can say is that my DL pictures are not flattering. I have never had any trouble with DMV in FL or CT.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Share your DMV [non] Horror Stories..............
Old 05-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: Share your DMV [non] Horror Stories..............

The Maryland MVA (motor vehicles administration) office I've dealt with has been very good. Sluggish at times, but I received a helpful tip about taxes when I moved into the state a few years ago. Saved about $300.

Washington DC, on the other hand, has a really bad reputation. Fortunately, that's 4 miles from here.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My renewals in CA have been wery quick (5-10 minutes) since
they started allowing appointments. What is particularly funny
is the huge crowd of people waiting around inside for hours
that ignored the big signs extolling the virtues of making an
appointment first, with a simple phone call. While some of those
people may have a more complex problem, the ones called
while i waited (I got there a few minutes early, and they were
called with a different number system than those of us with
appointments) all got sent to the renewal station after paying.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #6

An interesting event in my life, I had relocated from Great Lakes IL to Mechanicsburg PA and went to the local DMV to get a local license. All went well until a few days later I receive a summons to immediately return my license as (this is before social security numbers were used in the interstate data base) someone with my exact first, middle & last (uncommon) name, born on the same day (!!!) had a serious felony record (!) in Maryland. I went to the staff attorney for advice and was able to resolve the issue with an affidavit & copy of my passport showing I was out of the country (and of another birth place) during the time of the fellonies.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:27 PM   #7

Years ago, I had a clerk argue with me on the price of a thrashed used HYUNDAI that I bought for $400. He didn't believe me (and who the hell was he to question the sales receipt signed by the previous owner). I really did pay $400 dollars for the piece of cr@p too! He decided this was his day to be an jerk, so he nit picked the title (even took out a guideline book ) and refused to register until the owner signed an affadavit that her name was legally Jane Doe NOT Doe Jane as stated on the title. I wanted to punch him in the nose.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Some years ago I bought a motorcycle. The prior owner filled out all sorts of stuff (name, address, odometer reading) on the title transfer paper, but forgot to sign his name. I didn't notice and took the title into the DMV to transfer. The clerk noticed and said it couldn't be transfered without a signature. I said oh, no, he lives 200 miles away. She then coyly said, "it doesn't have to be notarized or anything."

Minnesota requires the engine number (in addition to the VIN) be written on the title when tranfering a motorcycle. I went in to transfer title to yet another motorcycle and told the clerk that I looked and looked and couldn't find the engine number. And I know where to look. The clerk said she would try to do the transfer anyway and was successful.

The waiting used to be a pain, but they now offer both appointments and a take a number system. Works pretty good. Sometimes though you do feel like the clerks are far from breaking a sweat. But they have always been nice and tried to be helpful.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:40 PM   #9

My experiences with the Arizona MVD have been okay. The employees don't seem to smile much, but I've never had any problems or overly long waits when I needed something.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:05 PM   #10

Anyone that believes in a single payer healthcare model should read this thread. The DMV-style treatment is what you are asking for.

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:34 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I Love working in BFE (okay, a medium sized semi-rural town). I work in the county seat, and the DMV is 5 minutes from the Uni. If I take an early or late lunch I can get in, get out, and still have time to swing by subway on the way back to work. One time I was renewing my tag I didn't know the cash/check only thing and had to run to the ATM across the street. they were about to close for lunch, but a teller offered to hang around for an extra ten minutes so I didn't have to make another trip the next day.

No, I'm not kidding. I don't ever want to live more than 45 minutes from sushi, but the country life definitely has its perks.
OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:48 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterblaster
Anyone that believes in a single payer healthcare model should read this thread. The DMV-style treatment is what you are asking for.

In Ohio, the sites are franchises run by private companies.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I stood in line for over 2 hours once -- I thought I might find a slow time (!) and go in without an appointment, but once I was there, I just stayed to get it over with.

While we all waited we watched the clerks give hard times to just about everyone, including a poor old Asian man who had his grandson there translating the paperwork for him. The clerk kept shouting at him: "Cain't you speak no English?"

The ultimate irony -- there was a sign at every counter informing us that we were not allowed to offer gratuities to the employees!

The next time I went I got an appointment. I had the flu that day and I look like a corpse in my picture, but I wasn't going to miss that appointment for love or money.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #14

Quote:

What do healthcare and drivers licenses have in common? It sounds like the set-up to a bad joke.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:35 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha

She then coyly said, "it doesn't have to be notarized or anything."

Minnesota requires the engine number .... The clerk said she would try to do the transfer anyway and was successful.

But they have always been nice and tried to be helpful.
Helpful? It sounds to me like they are not doing their job. A wink and a nod to a forged signature on a title? I imagine you have an honest face, but the best 'cons' have an honest face and a good story too.

How did they do a transfer 'successfully' without the 'required' information? Very professional.

I could probably fill a page myself with my negative experiences here in Illinois.

-ERD50

ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #16

Quote:
I renewed my car registration Monday night around 11PM. It took a few clicks and about 5 minutes.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:14 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus
I renewed my car registration Monday night around 11PM. It took a few clicks and about 5 minutes.
I did the same in Sep '06.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:17 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
My experiences with the Arizona MVD have been okay. The employees don't seem to smile much, but I've never had any problems or overly long waits when I needed something.
You were in a DMV? In Arizona licenses expires when you turn 65 and you can renew your car registration over the internet.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
You were in a DMV? In Arizona licenses expires when you turn 65 and you can renew your car registration over the internet.
It hasn't always been that way. We used to have to renew every 3 years, and I also used to have to go in and get my vehicles inspected every year.

Recently, I had my wallet stolen and went in to get a replacement license. You don't really have to go in for a replacement license either as long as you have a valid credit card, don't mind using your old photo, and can wait for them to mail it. It can all be done via the internet. Since my stolen wallet also had my credit cards in it and I didn't want to be without a license for a week or so, I decided to go in and pick up the license.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:53 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

When I first came to DC the DMV was awful; long waits, poor service. About 10 or 15 years ago they improved the IT and went on a successful TQM jag. Now service is pretty good. I can usually get everything done online and in the rare event that I go into the office the lines are quick.