Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

While walking with my child and grandchild at a BigBox store one of the ladies demoing various cleaning wipes spotted us and tried to sell us a huge box of the wipes. I explained to her they were returning home on an airplane and did not have room to bring the box. She would not give up and actually followed us for about 30 feet trying to get us to buy the wipes. Finally, my child took a box and put it into the cart just to shut her up. We ended up ditching the box of wipes near the canned peaches.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Read that when asked for a phone number to use as a store member that a local area code and Jenny's number is a safe bet, as someone usually uses it when signing up. (xxx-867-54 oh nieeine). The one time I tried it at Harbor Freight it didn't work, but give it a shot for entertainment!
It's 867-5309! I use that a lot, especially on Web sites where a phone number is required so that you can proceed. They always have my valid e-mail address (the spamcatcher one) so they can contact me if there's a genuine need.

Another thought on pushy salespeople: I used to get cold calls at the office from stock boiler room types; I'm an actuary and directories were available for purchase. I was doing just fine investing on my own, thank you, but what really got rid of them was my sob story that my husband had been unemployed the last 3,4,5 years and we had a small child and, later, that I was a divorced mother trying to take care of my son with no child support. All of it was true, of course. If they concluded that that meant I had no money, it was OK with me.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
It's 867-5309! I use that a lot, especially on Web sites where a phone number is required so that you can proceed. ....
'splains things - thanks! my mind gets ... close on some stuff.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
It's 867-5309...
8-6-7-5-3-0-ni-e-i-e-ine

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
The worst offenders I run into periodically are the door-to-door salespeople for Jesus. Talk about won't take no for an answer. Guess with God on their side, the Beware of Dogs sign wasn't enough of a deterrent. One time a pair of orthodox evangelicals got past my usually locked gate, made it all the way to the door, before my 4 Rottweilers figured it out. I mentioned that the dogs out back would be coming around any moment. Problem solved.
I live in a non-solicitation state and when I get people at the door I ask them if they have a permit from the county and if the answer is no, simply tell them to hold on, and then call in to the county sheriff non-emergency number and report them all the while they stand there and listen. Most are apologetic and say they were unaware and I tell them to save it for the deputy.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I can sympathize with her. I'm always trying to move people over to Vanguard.
"Hello, Ma'am, have you heard the good news about Jack Bogle?"
Old 10-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

One thing about pushy salespeople is that they are self supporting, not on welfare which means not on the taxpayer's dime. A non-pushy salesperson is a former salesperson. So I'm fine with pushy salespeople, or anyone else who is not on my dime and is not going to violently accost me.

Ha
Old 10-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #48

Timeshare. 2006, learned something new that day. The titanic exhibit did seem to be a bit better knowing I had to endure an hour of high pressure pitches...oh wait, no it wasn't. Too bad groupon didn't exist back then.

Step 1, decline and state you are there for the free show tix.
Step 2. decline salespersons boss who is bigger, dressed nicer and has some jewelry
Step 3. decline third and final bosses boss salesman after hearing "Spiels".
Steo 4. Finally got those darn free tix.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:38 PM   #49

I selected a VCR to purchase back in the 80s. The salesperson wrote up the receipt and told me it would be X amount plus Y amount for the extended warranty. I told him I didn't want an extended warranty and he said, "but I've already included it." I told him to rewrite the receipt or I was leaving the store. I should have just walked out.

When I was buying my first car the salesperson told me he needed my car keys (I had a rental car) before they would let me test drive a car. Upon returning from the test drive I told him I wasn't interested in buying the car and wanted my keys back. He told me he had to get them from his manager who wouldn't give them to him unless I met with them both. I told him (while giving my best Charlie Manson stare) to give me the keys or I was walking to a pay phone and reporting the car as stolen. He promptly returned my car keys.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
...wasn't interested in buying the car and wanted my keys back. He told me he had to get them from his manager who wouldn't give them to him unless I met with them both. I told him (while giving my best Charlie Manson stare) to give me the keys or I was walking to a pay phone and reporting the car as stolen. He promptly returned my car keys.
I kept hearing stories about a dealership in another district (I was a police officer) that pulled that stunt. Inevitably the officer told the salesman that if he didn't get those keys right now they would be arrested. Inevitably they always managed to find the keys quickly.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #51

Many years ago when I was young and stupid a co-worker signed up for an insurance company retirement program. I made the mistake of telling him I would talk to the salesman who showed up at my home that evening. He gave his spiel and I told him I would look over his info and get back to him. I finally had to threaten to call the cops and have him removed from my home before he would leave. He was bound and determined that I would sign up for his program then and there. After looking it all over I threw all of his paperwork away.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

When i am confronted with someone pushy, especially on the phone, I will listen to their whole lengthy speil and then tell them I couldn't understand a word they said and would they please repeat s l o w l y. when they try again, I again say, sorry i still couldn't understand you. Frustrates the heck out of people. With my hearing loss, I use it whenever I am feeling annoyed. Often I will end the conversation by saying you'll have to e mail me your business and I'll take care of it that way. (they won't)
Old 10-16-2014, 01:30 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
While walking with my child and grandchild at a BigBox store one of the ladies demoing various cleaning wipes spotted us and tried to sell us a huge box of the wipes. I explained to her they were returning home on an airplane and did not have room to bring the box. She would not give up and actually followed us for about 30 feet trying to get us to buy the wipes. Finally, my child took a box and put it into the cart just to shut her up. We ended up ditching the box of wipes near the canned peaches.
Now I'm hungry for some peaches and clean.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Q: How many telemarketers does it take to change a light-bulb?

A: Only one, but she has to do 
it while you’re eating dinner.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:58 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

BIL on vacation stayed at a timeshare in Orlando, we visited and while we were there he had to attend the timeshare presentation to get something like $150 in perks. He said, hey come with me we'll get a free breakfast buffet, at least, so we joined in to keep him entertained while he was doing his time. First thing when meeting the salesman I told him my name was "Ginger", so BIL and DH had to remember to call me that the rest of the time. At the end we're in the room with the tables and all the other patrons getting the hard sell right along with us. We declined to purchase a share, and of course he won't take no for an answer, he's trying to show us more numbers, how it's so obviously a great deal why wouldn't you want to "invest". At this point I start ranting rather loudly about how the more things you buy, and PAYMENTS you have to make, the more things you have to WORRY about and I didn't need that kind of STRESS in my life right now. That pretty much did the trick and he wanted to sign us off as declining and get us away from the other patrons as fast as he could
Old 10-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

When the timeshare salesman wrote down the numbers on a piece of paper and shoved it across the desk at my wife and me, I wrote down $21,000 (which was higher than his number) and shoved the paper back at him. He asked, "Wha's this?" I said, "I just got the bill for my son's first year at college." The guy gave us our perks and we left.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #57

Here's one:

Was shopping for a used truck a decade ago. Was test driving my second one at a used dealership ... back after the test drive the conversation goes like this:

" How did you like the truck"

me: "drove as well as the last one"

" I'ld like to make a sale today ... does this work" (rights a number on a piece of paper and hands it to me)

me: "no"

" I'ld REALLY like to make a sale today ... what would it take"

me: " you're a few THOUSAND higher than the last truck and with more mileage. Drop the price."

"I can't do that!" (As he RIPS the paper out of my hand)

me: "Then we're done."

I bought the first truck. The second owner/shop clearly overpaid; the business went under a few years later.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #58

Went to big box home store to buy 2 $1 items that I need to finish a project today. Walking down the isle an employee with a clipboard stopped me and asked if she could ask me a few questions. I said no, but she blocked my path and proceeded to ask questions about my kitchen cabinets. After verbally and nonverbally expressing my annoyance she asked if she could have my name. I said absolutely not and walked away. Management forces their employees to do this to people, but the way she handled her job was quite offensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Went to big box home store to buy 2 $1 items that I need to finish a project today. Walking down the isle an employee with a clipboard stopped me and asked if she could ask me a few questions. I said no, but she blocked my path and proceeded to ask questions about my kitchen cabinets. After verbally and nonverbally expressing my annoyance she asked if she could have my name. I said absolutely not and walked away. Management forces their employees to do this to people, but the way she handled her job was quite offensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Worse yet that person is usually a contractor that BigBox lets into their store. (They basically sell rent to let the contractor work out of BigBox.)

I don't understand why BigBox does that. My experience was the same as yours. It caused me to go to the other BigBox with a different, more subtle, color theme as my primary BigBox store.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #60

We had a damaging hail storm two weeks ago. As usual, the storm troopers are out in full force. One called last week wanting to look at the roof. I explained that they were welcomed to inspect the roof, but I expect an estimate for roof replacement. He was here just a couple of hours ago. After the inspection (which only took maybe ten minutes -- not long enough) Mr. _____ came to the door. He entered the foyer and gave me his presentation, showed me the pictures he took, then asked me if I had any questions. I told him all I need to know at this point is an estimate of the cost. He told me his estimate would be the same as the insurance company. I said "OK, what is your estimate?". He said "The same as the insurance company. We use the same software." Again I said "What is your estimate?" to which I got the same reply. We stayed in this loop for several minutes with me asking the same question as many different ways as I could think of, like "Figure your cost and add profit and tell me the number." I kept getting the same salesspeak telling me how customer orientated they were, blah blah blah. I began to think of what might happen if I hired him and there was some kind of issue during the project -- how would that end? Then I opened the door. He didn't take the hint. I had to stop him mid-sentence and tell him this sales call was not going so well, then pointed to the door. That is the first time I have ever asked someone to leave my property.