Join Early Retirement Today

share your summer camp stories
Old 01-10-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

share your summer camp stories

how fun! my old summer camp is online www.camplakota.com

looks like our head counselor, gilly, now owns the place. i've got to visit on my next roadtrip north.

every summer for 8 weeks mom got rid of us kids sent us off to camp. i still remember crying the first time. mom saved many of my letters from camp so i have them now. "send money" "send food" "here's a list of things to send me" "when are you coming to visit" "when you visit bring food & money" pretty much sums up my letters home.

for the last few weeks of summer, camp divided into teams. "the blue is for honor and the grey is for glory and they both unite lakota" song still sings in my head. neither team wanted me on their side. they had all these rules and i was never good with rules so i tended to lose my team points. they actually expected me to show up for planned activity. and then when i'd show they'd expect me to participate. i've been coming here for years, have you met me yet?

during color war we'd have these silent meals and i'd be like "pass the ketchup." and some large counselor would run over and point and me and yell, "what team!" and my team would lose 5 points. amazing though i always managed to get the ketchup.

here's me at summercamp sporting my black hightops and laughing at the system...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lakota-web.jpg (58.4 KB, 27 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb lakota-web.jpg_thumb (16.5 KB, 0 views)

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: share your summer camp stories
Old 01-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Duh - talk about interesting memories.

YMCA, Boy Scout camps, Dear old Dad taking family over the years fishing/picnicking on Spirit Lake/Mt St. Helens. Even as late as Junior College went tubing with the girls/guys on the Toutle(Early 1960's).

Glad the volcano waited till May 1980. Vaguely remember some mention that it was considered an active volcano growing up.

Heh heh heh heh - I noticed last summer Kelso had a 'Gateway to the Volcano' sign near one of the I-5 exits. I guess it's no longer the Smelt Capital of The World - a little fish I was never impressed with.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I remember this fat kid that we always used to beat up.

Then he went home and threatened to shoot us so we didn't bother him anymore.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #4

Until my black lab died in '94, Camp Joslin (diabetic summer camp) was the worst experience of my life. I went there for three weeks between second and third grade back in 1962. I still can get tears in my eyes just thinking about it.

I miss my dog.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I used to be a camp counselor here http://www.capecodseacamps.com/default.htm many, many years ago. I used to teach sailing, soccer, archery and marksmanship. Occasionally I'd do some beginner tennis lessons.

That was a great summer job, which ended quite abruptly when the camp director discovered me teaching his daughter the finer points of CPR down by the pool late one warm summer evening.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
I remember this fat kid that we always used to beat up.
that's kind of funny but i'm gonna respond with this instead: aw zipper, you poor thing. everyone knows that's a lie. you would have needed friends for that.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Re: Share Your Summer Camp Stories
Old 01-10-2007, 08:55 PM   #7

Re: Share Your Summer Camp Stories

As a teenager I went to a great camp in the Pocono Mts. run by the Big Brothers Association. Many of the campers were boys without fathers from tough city neighborhoods. This suburban boy had to pick up some street smarts real fast! The camp was heavily sports oriented. We played baseball (not softball). We had a full court basketball game every day. Swimming was in the Delaware river. The junior counselors were all highschool athletes and the senior counselors were college varsity jocks. I loved it. After three years as camper I moved up to being a junior counselor.

During college I worked three summers as the waterfront director of an overnight camp for retarded and emotionally disturbed children. The first summer I began a romance with one of the female life guards. We were married 1 week before the start of our third summer at the camp and have now been married for 37 years.

Grumpy
Old 01-10-2007, 10:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
That was a great summer job, which ended quite abruptly when the camp director discovered me teaching his daughter the finer points of CPR down by the pool late one warm summer evening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
The first summer I began a romance with one of the female life guards. We were married 1 week before the start of our third summer at the camp and have now been married for 37 years.
grumpy, what a great story. isn't it something the difference a summer can make. you got a wonderful 37 years, and el guapo got 37 years to life.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:53 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
YMCA, Boy Scout camps, Dear old Dad taking family over the years fishing/picnicking on Spirit Lake/Mt St. Helens. Even as late as Junior College went tubing with the girls/guys on the Toutle(Early 1960's)
Heh heh heh heh - I noticed last summer Kelso had a 'Gateway to the Volcano' sign near one of the I-5 exits. I guess it's no longer the Smelt Capital of The World - a little fish I was never impressed with.
The smelt are still running strong. As a kid we dipped them from the Cowlitz and then grandma would smoke them Finnish-style and we'd eat 'em by the bunches. Just a couple years ago they ran so thick that my nephews and nieces could catch them by reaching into the river and closing their hand. But now we just do catch and release.

4H camp at Mayfield Lake in Mossyrock! Also did tubing down the Toutle. But I would have been a little girl playing on the river banks when you were a free-wheeling young adult in the early 60's. All good memories for me too. After 15 years away in San Jose / Silicon Valley, I came back "home" to this area a few years ago.

(Dang but it is RAINY and COLD right now. I somehow seemed to have forgotten about those parts....)
Linney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:19 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to a church camp for 2-3 summers. They had a brutal water-ball game where the counselor threw a ball way out into the lake, and about 20 teams of 4 guys would swim out and pummel each other for an hour trying to get it to shore--whoever was in possession when the ball finally got to shore won. So I turn to my 'nerd' buddy and say, I'm a great swimmer--you stay on the shore. Game starts, I swim out and beat everybody to the ball, throw it over everybody's head to my buddy, he walks onto the beach--game over in about 40 seconds. Counselors were really p#ssed. Still get a chuckle when I remember this--thanks for the thread.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:26 AM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

I went to day camp in Frackville,Pa. .$1.00 a day to do arts & crafts plus swimming lessons in the morning . Those were the days .
Actually I think being retired is kind of like being a kid when school lets out .Endless freedom !!
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:02 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I went every summer as a kid, then as a teen worked summers at a Y camp in Texas. On a big lake (Possum Kingdom Lake) with 150 foot high cliffs at the water's edge. It was half a mile across the lake from the camp to the cliffs.

On the last night of what I knew would be my last summer at the camp, me and two friends swam across the lake to the cliffs in the pitch dark with a waterproof bag of M-80s, climbed to the top of the cliff, and dropped lit M-80s over the edge. The booms and flashes at the rock wall reflected back at the camp, and we had enough to carry on like this for 10 minutes.

The next morning, somehow everyone knew we had done it. We had broken every rule in the book, but the camp director was not only stunned but also absolutely powerless. I like to think they still tell stories about us, but doubt it.
dt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt123
I went every summer as a kid, then as a teen worked summers at a Y camp in Texas. On a big lake (Possum Kingdom Lake) with 150 foot high cliffs at the water's edge. It was half a mile across the lake from the camp to the cliffs.

On the last night of what I knew would be my last summer at the camp, me and two friends swam across the lake to the cliffs in the pitch dark with a waterproof bag of M-80s, climbed to the top of the cliff, and dropped lit M-80s over the edge. The booms and flashes at the rock wall reflected back at the camp, and we had enough to carry on like this for 10 minutes.

The next morning, somehow everyone knew we had done it. We had broken every rule in the book, but the camp director was not only stunned but also absolutely powerless. I like to think they still tell stories about us, but doubt it.
Gawd, I love M-80s.

Mike D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m80.jpg (6.2 KB, 44 views)

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:26 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
I guess it's no longer the Smelt Capital of The World - a little fish I was never impressed with.
Our family used to "smelt" when the fish ran wild as a kid. Of course, my uncle would drink a lot, and bite the heads off them to annoy bystanders.........

Smoked smelt, or deep fried battered? YUM!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:43 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I went to three different types of summer camps. One was your traditional Camp Iwannagohome that was a terrible experience of angst ridden boys looking for weakness in others so they could pounce on it. After the first time I got picked on ( I was 8 at the time) I became a ghost and just avoided everyone. Mom picked me up after two weeks. :P

Second summer camp was YMCA, and I had a great time, there was a real hambone councilor who everybody liked and made everything fun. Later I find out he gets arrested on child molestation charges. My Dad does that whole, "It's o.k. to tell me if anything happened..." conversation, and my thought was, "Dude! I would kick him in the n*ts if he tried anything!", I was ten at the time and didn't understand. :P

For the rest of my youth I was an attendee of Boy Scout camp, and that was the best of all. When I got older I became a Boy Scout Camp Councilor myself. Boy Scouts was a wonderful experience. To this day I can still tie knots I don't remember the name of.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Smoked smelt, or deep fried battered? YUM!!
Same cornmeal batter I use on fried clams and deep fried.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:40 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
Same cornmeal batter I use on fried clams and deep fried.
Here where the smelt run each spring people use a beer batter. Basically stale beer, flour, egg, baking powder, salt and pepper.

The alcoholics fry them in crumbled cheese crackers which is excellent (though poison) as well.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:44 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Beer wash - Then Zatarain's Seasoned Fish Fry.

heh heh heh heh - and yes in ancient days I've eaten smoked smelt - BUT I didn't inhale.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:04 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Here where the smelt run each spring people use a beer batter. Basically stale beer, flour, egg, baking powder, salt and pepper.
I always liked a very thin, crunchy batter on my fried seafood.

# 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
# 1/4 teaspoon pepper
# 1 egg, well beaten
# 1/2 cup half-and-half or milk
# 1/4 teaspoon salt
# 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
# 1/2 cup flour
# 1/2 teaspoon baking powder