Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-07-2018, 03:51 PM   #361
Recycles dryer sheets

Bob

Looking forward to many more updates. But I disagree that you’re not a financial success. I consider you a succeed on all levels. Thanks. tk
woodguy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #362
Dryer sheet wannabe

Bob:

It sure is a small world. Hubby and I live in Brunswick, Maine. I hope you’re able to make it to your next Bowdoin reunion. My boss’s two children both graduated from there. I guess she won’t be retiring any time soon. LOL

Rolling Green was one of the communities that DH and I were going to take a look at in Ocala. But we checked out Water Oak in Lady Lake first and fell in love with it. We bought a home there in March. We’re putting our Brunswick home up for sale in July and hope it sells fast. We both cannot take another Maine winter.
umograd83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:58 AM   #363
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by umograd83 View Post
Bob:

It sure is a small world. Hubby and I live in Brunswick, Maine. I hope you’re able to make it to your next Bowdoin reunion. My boss’s two children both graduated from there. I guess she won’t be retiring any time soon. LOL

Rolling Green was one of the communities that DH and I were going to take a look at in Ocala. But we checked out Water Oak in Lady Lake first and fell in love with it. We bought a home there in March. We’re putting our Brunswick home up for sale in July and hope it sells fast. We both cannot take another Maine winter.
Welcome to FLA. Moved here last year from NEast. We love the hot weather and all that comes with it.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:21 AM   #364
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
To all of the friends that I've made over the years, I wish you happiness and success in your future.
catching up and noticed your "Goodbye" note! I wish you well. I have so enjoyed your posts and wisdom. Blessings to you.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:28 AM   #365
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
To all of the friends that I've made over the years, I wish you happiness and success in your future.
Good bye to you and thank you! As a newbie here, your messages to the rest of us were so informative. I wish everyone would leave love letters here to the future retiree generations.

Wishing you the best and much love.
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:51 AM   #366
Recycles dryer sheets

Mr. Bob,
I to have just noticed your Goodbye note.

We joined the Forum in Sep of 2012 and your post was relatively new, July 2012 then.

It was instrumental to my wife and I learning about planning and educating ourselves on this and the Boggleheads forum to help us plan for retirement.

You were and are a inspiration and model for us, and I'm sure many folks.

All the best and we do hope you'll check in from time to time.

Thank you for your insight's and wisdom that you shared with us all.

gamboolman and Ms. gamboolgal...
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #367
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Same to you.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:13 AM   #368
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it is safe to say your posts have helped thousands of people. Thanks for sharing a lifetime with us.
PoorOldCountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:45 AM   #369
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love reading your posts and hope that you keep us updated on your life.

You and Jeanie have had a very successful life and it sounds like a great love story.

I am another one that goes back and rereads this thread. It always gives me something to reflect on. I also read them to my DH and he enjoys them too.

Thank you for all of the wisdom that you have passed on and I look forward to your next post.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:37 AM   #370
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mods, please consider "STICKYING" this thread, you have funny video etc, but this in my mind is well worth it. Yes i can search IMOLDERNU and find it. But there are new people who might never have seen this or seen some of imolders posts and this one is well worth it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am t-360ish days and will reread this as another example keeping it close to top....

thanks.
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:08 AM   #371

Bob, thank you for all the wisdom and life experience you have shared! This has been the best thread ever.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #372
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Are you in a type A, B or C contract at your CCRC?

The type A and B facilities that we looked at while deciding retirement choices, while safe and very nice, were beyond our financial ability.
We've been researching CCRC's and believe we fully understand the "all on one campus" concept and benefits. It's the choice between TYPE A, B and C plans that is causing the confusion for us.

Here in the Chicago area, we've found CCRC's with all types of physical accomodations (apartments, row houses, villas, low rise, high rise, etc.) available with any of the three types of contracts. That is, you can get the type of housing you want with the type of contract you want.

The real question for us is whether to consider the full coverage Type A places or not. We can afford them and like the idea that future costs, including full nursing care if needed, are fixed in advance removing a variable from our estate planning. But it seems that with type A plans you become so "locked in" to one place that it's extremely critical you pick the right one from the get-go. And, there's the timing issue. We're not ready to move out of our home yet (picture yourself 15 years ago) and would be unhappy moving into a CCRC now. Yet if we wait too long and one of us becomes incapacitated in some way, we might not qualify for a Type A plan....... We understand you have to be fully independent at move-in time.

Just wondering your thoughts on those issues. I understand the cost was beyond your reach so you likely didn't give it a lot of research. Still, you seem to have a lot of insight on these types of things.

I also note there is a "sticky" here on the forum on this subject which I need to go review (again).

Best of luck to you!
Old 05-31-2018, 07:14 AM   #373
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Thanks for a wonderful thread!

Guys, am I the only one a bit concerned and saddened by the apparent abruptness? Or did I miss a post somewhere?
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:50 AM   #374
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Thanks for a wonderful thread!

Guys, am I the only one a bit concerned and saddened by the apparent abruptness? Or did I miss a post somewhere?
Was thinking the same thing. Not sure what do to say.
Does someone closer to Bob reach out to him if everything is okay?
Old 05-31-2018, 09:09 AM   #375
Recycles dryer sheets

I was also thinking along the same lines - I do hope all is well with Imoldernu
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:29 AM   #376
Recycles dryer sheets

I wish you well and am sad to see your goodbye note. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. You have helped more than you will ever know!
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:28 PM   #377
Recycles dryer sheets

I do not think it was a "good bye" note. That is just his unique way of talking. I believe he is still posting from time to time on other forums, and, I believe he will return to this one as time allows.
DatumPoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:39 PM   #378
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatumPoint5 View Post
I do not think it was a "good bye" note. That is just his unique way of talking. I believe he is still posting from time to time on other forums, and, I believe he will return to this one as time allows.
Well, the title of his post was "good bye". I certainly hope he returns, but perhaps not. He certainly has added a lot of great information to this forum.
Conscience and Medicaid
Old 06-05-2018, 02:06 AM   #379
Gone but not forgotten

Conscience and Medicaid

First... thank you all for the kind words.
After 6 years of wordy posts, my instinct was to not overstay my welcome as my retirement experience may not be as applicable in today's financial environment.
A recent article about reduced support for medicaid triggered memories of older posts wherein I had outlined planning a safety net for extreme medical expenses in the later years. The last post concerning this was here:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1899979

This was preceded by two earlier posts, #146 and #150... which outlined the planning for handling potential long term care costs.. in short, where a married couple should keep ownership of the primary home, so that a long term care expense (commonly $70K to $100K for one year) would not cause the healthy person to have to spend the full amount, but that after depleting the couples assets, the partner could keep the home, and that medicaid would pay for the long term care expense... and that the state would not come after the (owned home), until that person passed away, and where the state would place a lien on the house, to pay for the medicaid expenses incurred.

Too complicated to think about now,....?right?... Hmmm... Maybe not.
My experience here in our CCRC has now seen a dozen or more cases, where
the "healthy' couple sold their home, and were forced to pay for long term care... selling down the $$$ assets from the house sale, and leaving the healthy partner with no place to live, and minimal Social Security payments, hardly enough to survive on.

Referring to the linked post, it appeared that there would be a change on State financing for Medicaid, sometime in the future. Now this is happening. and the outlook is bleak at best... per this recent situation in Maine, and Ohio, where legislation is threatening massive cutbacks in medicaid.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nat...ACL/story.html

The long and short of this problem means that a 10 year stay in a nursing facility, could cost from $600K to $1M. In the 69 units in our CCRC, more than half of the residents have been there for more than 5 years.

Here's a real-life article from the NYT that puts the problem in perspective

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/s...ing-homes.html

Medicaid pays for most of the 1.4 million people in nursing homes. It covers 20 percent of all Americans and 40 percent of poor adults.

Our admissions office is now recommending elderlaw and financial advisors be consulted to prepare separate assets trusts to reduce the risk of losing everything.

The point here is: That the legal protection must be in place for five years before the need... because of the 5 year lookback

If you're sitting on a nest egg of millions, and don't plan to leave anything to the kids, this is probably one you can ignore, but to put a point on the subject, two of my current friends (age mid 60's) are caught in this conundrum, with wives in the nursing home, and my friends' assets being spent at a rapid rate, and with no safety net, because they had sold their homes, and were renting... all of this while Illinois is still offering medicaid.
The warning is there, as more states are teetering on the massive reductions in medicaid spending.

The above is my interpretation only... but thought it important enough to bring an update. The number of persons now living in care units is growing by quantum leaps, and government financial help for the elderly is not only not keeping up, but quickly being reduced.
.................................................. .............................

For those were wondering if I might have passed away, not so, just slower and dealing with more memory problems, but still reasonably able to get around, and spending more and more time volunteering in the community running several weekly activities... (we're taking a try at Bocce Ball next week)... wondering if my friends will be able to play using their walkers an wheel chairs... going to give it a try...

regards,
bob
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:19 AM   #380

Thanks for the update, Bob. And for the "heads up":

"Our admissions office is now recommending elderlaw and financial advisors be consulted to prepare separate assets trusts to reduce the risk of losing everything.

The point here is: That the legal protection must be in place for five years before the need... because of the 5 year lookback".
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote