Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #421
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Congratulations to you and your bride. It does take two! Regarding your meeting:
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
This week, it was marriages and honeymoons. I thought ours was kinda wild and crazy, but the best story was from Milo who's 93... looking for a motel with no luck, they came upon one that seemed to have vacancies... checking in, they learned that the rate was $3 for 2 hours. Back in 1946.
In Mexico, they still have Notell Motels for rent by the hour. They are recommended when travelling across country because they offer individual garages for every patron. To prevent your mobile possessions from B&E!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Congratulations on 60 years of marriage
Old 07-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #422
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on 60 years of marriage

Imoldernu - the photos are lovely!

I read your autobiographical post with great interest. You retired the same year that my DH and I were married! We now are targeting retirement in 2021, and you have given us much to consider (and frankly act upon).

Keep up your memory work -- aerobics for your brain!
cynicalbuthopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #423
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats!
Old 07-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #424
Gone but not forgotten

Alzheimer's and Dementia

The current issue July/August AARP Bulleton has an excellent article on the subject of Alzheimer's and Dementia. Excerpts here:

https://www.aarp.org/health/dementia...lzheimers.html

Since this had special meaning for me, I thought I'd post the link here, for those who do not belong to AARP and for anyone who has read parts of this thread detailing my personal situation. Currently, more than 6 million American are afflicted, a serious number, but nothing compared to the number of projected cases by the year 2050... Sixteen Million.

The article itself covers statistics, to the nature of the disease, down to the differences between AZ and Dementia, and how it is diagnosed as well as the outlook for the future.

It also details the cost, the number of Pharma and Medical corporations that have withdrawn research funds due to those extreme costs and the limited progress to date, and some forward looking plans to deal with what looks to become the most expensive health problem ever.

While this has personal meaning to me, the eventual cost for care or cure looks to affect most old(er) people to one degree or another. Even now, most of us are dealing with, or know others who are currently facing the emotional and dollar damages from this health crisis.

We have dealt with this by being open and sharing of concerns, and have included the probabilities that we are facing in the coming years... psychologically and financially. Always a bubbling fear but eased by mutual understanding. Fortunately the onset is moderately slow, but at that, completing daily tasks and things like writing, which used to be easy, are now slowed... searching for words, spelling and maintaining a continuous thought process. Most difficult is dealing with frustration.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:15 PM   #425
Give me a forum ...

One has to wonder why so little has been accomplished against these diseases.
Quote:
The current issue July/August AARP Bulleton has an excellent article on the subject of Alzheimer's and Dementia. Excerpts here:

https://www.aarp.org/health/dementia...lzheimers.html

Since this had special meaning for me, I thought I'd post the link here, for those who do not belong to AARP and for anyone who has read parts of this thread detailing my personal situation. Currently, more than 6 million American are afflicted, a serious number, but nothing compared to the number of projected cases by the year 2050... Sixteen Million.

The article itself covers statistics, to the nature of the disease, down to the differences between AZ and Dementia, and how it is diagnosed as well as the outlook for the future.

It also details the cost, the number of Pharma and Medical corporations that have withdrawn research funds due to those extreme costs and the limited progress to date, and some forward looking plans to deal with what looks to become the most expensive health problem ever.

While this has personal meaning to me, the eventual cost for care or cure looks to affect most old(er) people to one degree or another. Even now, most of us are dealing with, or know others who are currently facing the emotional and dollar damages from this health crisis.

We have dealt with this by being open and sharing of concerns, and have included the probabilities that we are facing in the coming years... psychologically and financially. Always a bubbling fear but eased by mutual understanding. Fortunately the onset is moderately slow, but at that, completing daily tasks and things like writing, which used to be easy, are now slowed... searching for words, spelling and maintaining a continuous thought process. Most difficult is dealing with frustration.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:28 PM   #426
Give me a forum ...

A good friend of mine had it by 50. Really sad. Finally ended up in a home at 63 when her husband was dying. Fortunately her cancer came back and took her in 16 months. She was miserable, in diapers, scared, depressed and finally couldn’t talk. We visited a lot and it was heartbreaking.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #427
Give me a forum ...

DW’s mom has Alzheimer’s and her step-mom has dementia. Her dad is with her step-mom from 7:30-5:00 everyday, except when we can talk him into taking a break. The step-mom is soon going into a Medicaid nursing home. DW’s mom is in memory care with a maximum retention of five minutes of recent events.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:01 PM   #428
Full time employment: Posting here.

We are the baby boom, and we are living longer. I'm sure that's part of the recipe for the dementia explosion coming our way.

I've worked in assisted living and nursing homes. Good care for dementia patients is difficult - changing diapers, confused (and sometimes angry, even violent) patients, watching all your patients get worse . . . it's a very demanding job and doesn't pay well. Not that it isn't rewarding, as well. Some of the kindest, most interesting people who are struggling with severely impaired memory are wonderful to talk to, and work with. (As a psychologist, I wasn't involved in changing diapers or trying to safely help someone shower.) I worry for our future, though. That's a lot of workers who need big hearts and great patience.
trumpeting_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Taoism
Old 09-30-2018, 06:41 AM   #429
Gone but not forgotten

Taoism

Every once in a while, I come across an article that goes a little deeper into life... that puts the world in a different perspective. The link posted below is one of those.

Most will say it's very negative and depressing, and will likely disagree with the author's conclusions. Others will totally disagree with the thesis and feel that it like crying "wolf" ... where nothing that is happening is out of the normal. For those who feel that way, probably not a good read.

A brief preview:

Quote:
Everyone wants to change their lives for the better (or preserve what's positive), and this is relatively straightforward in a healthy system with positive incentives and a transparent, productive set of rules and feedbacks.

But what if the system is broken? How do we change our lives for the better in a dysfunctional system of unearned privilege and perverse incentives? Needless to say, it's difficult, and this is why we see a rise in inward-directed solutions.

If we can't change the external world we inhabit, then the "solution" is to nurture an inner tranquility. It's no wonder that Taoism--perhaps the ultimate inner-directed philosophy--arose during the Warring States era in China, when social unrest and conflict were endemic.
The article is from Charles Hugh Smith, a daily financial blogger with whom you may be familiar.

It's meaningful to me, in that it's a perspective that helps me see many things that seem unfair, but can't influence or change. Subjects that are not discussed in the normal course of events, or in the news.

In short... a bit of philosophy that will be calming to me in my dotage.

https://www.oftwominds.com/blog.html
Old 09-30-2018, 07:04 AM   #430
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Every once in a while, I come across an article that goes a little deeper into life... that puts the world in a different perspective. The link posted below is one of those.

Most will say it's very negative and depressing, and will likely disagree with the author's conclusions. Others will totally disagree with the thesis and feel that it like crying "wolf" ... where nothing that is happening is out of the normal. For those who feel that way, probably not a good read.

A brief preview:

The article is from Charles Hugh Smith, a daily financial blogger with whom you may be familiar.

It's meaningful to me, in that it's a perspective that helps me see many things that seem unfair, but can't influence or change. Subjects that are not discussed in the normal course of events, or in the news.

In short... a bit of philosophy that will be calming to me in my dotage.

https://www.oftwominds.com/blog.html
Great link! I think this guy got it right. [emoji3]

https://youtu.be/BofvfVPFbiM
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:08 AM   #431

I enjoyed the article and agree about limiting media and social media as much as possible. I hardly watch the news at all nowadays, but used to watch it every night. I have recently "snoozed for 30 days" friends on Facebook because of some political things that they post and I disagree with. I have decided that there is no use for me to read their posts and get upset.

I will go back and read some of his articles that are in archives.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:13 AM   #432

Murf2-I just watched your link. We have liked John Prine for many years and have seen him in concert. I have never seen him that young though. What a trip!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #433
Give me a forum ...

https://youtu.be/MmjnQjRvPUQ

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
CCRC Fitness Center
Old 12-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #434
Gone but not forgotten

CCRC Fitness Center

I know this properly belongs in the health and esrly retirement, but I wanted to share this as one of the things to look for, if and when you are considering a CCRC when the time comes. (We made the happy move @ age 68).

Finally, after 14 years of walking and exercise biking at home, we took the big step, in our 83rd year, to go into a free exercise program that our Liberty Village offers.

I realize that many of you go to fitness centers on a regular basis, but for us, it was an amazing experience. WOW!

Some details... and maybe something to look for (when the time comes).

The exercise rooms, (2) total about 2000 s.f. and with more tha 30 pieces of equipment (more later).

To start, we needed our Dr.'s okay. After that, an hour evaluation of current fitness level, measuring heart rate, oxygen, ten minute walk, balance, and several minutes on each of ten different exercise machines, to check for flexibility, and stamina.

The center is open 8 hours a day 6 days a week, and employs 6 registered full time physical therapists, and another 7 assistants.

Next... the equipment. For more detail on the types of equipment, look up "Scifit" and "Hur fitness". My guess, several hundred thousand dollars. Every piece provides exercise for specific muscles or muscle groups. My current schedule is for about an hour on 9 different pieces of equipment.

In the beginning, a therapist works with you all the time... instructing on how to "mount" the machine, and adjusting the equipment for the proper fit... seat height, reach for arms and legs. Also specific instructions on safety... stepping up and getting off. (Sounds like a lot of detail. but for older folks, the key is safety.) Something to consider when looking for a CCRC for a loved one.

So... about the machines. You may already know about this... anyway:
As a result of the initial evaluation, you receive your own personal card.. Like a credit card... That contains your current exercise program. The machines you'll use, and the specifics of what the machines will do. Usually, it sets the amount of resistance, the time, and the number of repeats. so, for the recumbent stepper, the initial settings might be resistance 5, 3 sets of ten, and one repeat. Your exercise program sets the program for each machine, and then based on the recorded result, will project the settings for the next time you use that same machine. As you exit each machine, the screen tells you where to go next. FWIW, (below) a pic of the typical info screen on each piece of equipment.

The fitness center is usually quite busy. Particularly for patients who are in the recovery section our our CCRC... Called "Bounce Back". A separate section tied in with the assisted living section , and there for persons who are there for health evaluation, or for those who are recovering from any temporary condition.

An interesting sidenote that has particular meaning for me. It seems that exercise has a positive effect on people suffering from early stages of dementia.

In any case, jeanie and I go together now for an hour, twice a week. Too early to tell about the long haul, but we enjoy it very much... nice people, and a pleasant experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen.jpg (28.3 KB, 539 views)
Old 12-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #435

Quote:
In any case, jeanie and I go together now for an hour, twice a week. Too early to tell about the long haul, but we enjoy it very much... nice people, and a pleasant experience.
This sounds very similar to the gym that DW and I go to. I make it more of a priority than she does (but she's six years younger) and I find that making sure to go every other day makes a huge difference in energy levels. Taking a week or more off and then going back makes the atrophy very visible, much more so than decades ago. Scary how fast that sets in now!
Old 12-22-2018, 03:49 PM   #436
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
we enjoy it very much... nice people, and a pleasant experience.
Yes. I, too, enjoy going to the gym very much. I aim to go 4 times a week, any less frequent and I may tend to lose motivation to go at all!
Old 01-04-2019, 07:17 AM   #437
Gone but not forgotten

There have been many post regarding retirement communities, and the different kinds of plans that may be available.

An often heard comment goes something like this:
"I would never move in to a CCRC. I plan to live in my own home forever."

And that's understandable. Early on, it was my idea too. I loved my house... knew all my neighbors and was comfortably ensconced in my community. As stated earlier in this thread, we moved to our Liberty Village home back in 2004, and are still living in our villa... not yet ready to take the next step to move into whatever part of the community will serve us best.

I believe that some of the reluctance to move comes from not understanding just what some CCRC's offer. While you will not be moving into our community here, you might want to know just what options may be offered in communities in your area..

The link below, is to an FAQ that covers the benefits and options that should be a part of what you may want to know about the different parts that can answer some of the misconceptions about moving into an "old folks home".

At the very least, whether for yourself, or perhaps your parents, this could provide a broader view of what to expect, and what to ask when moving into a long term care facility.

For whatever reason, I had never gone to the FAQ page, which covers much more than my limited explanation. Here's the link
https://simplythefinest.net/faqs.php
Old 01-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #438
Give me a forum ...

We have some 55+ housing communities but they don’t have apartments and assisted living. Also they are ridiculously expensive.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #439
Give me a forum ...

We have two huge new facilities being built on each side of our town. Both CCRC. Have not looked into costs yet, nothing is on their websites!
Something we may consider in the future, but at this point, plan to age in place as long as possible.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:38 AM   #440
Give me a forum ...

At 94 my aunt lives alone in her own apartment. My mom did the same. Hope I am that lucky.