Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-03-2007, 02:53 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

As often is mentioned in these sorts of articles, the risk of being hit by lightning is much higher than getting attacked by a shark. Anyone here ever hit by lightning? I know two people who have been struck. One through his leg when mountain climbing. No long term adverse effects, just a dramatic burn scar. The other was hit on a golf course and survived but had serious heart damage.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

That is crazy. I feel like I would love to learn to surf but also know I would have a creepy feeling in the back of my mind that I'd be the lucky guy to run into a shark. Obviously I don't do so well in open saltwater.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:20 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There is a town in southwest Florida known as the Shark's teeth capital because shark's teeth are often found on the beach .They also have a restaurant called Sharky's which has stuffed sharks that were caught near there .It's Venice ,Fl. not many waves for surfers so Al you are safe.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:12 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
There is a town in southwest Florida known as the Shark's teeth capital because shark's teeth are often found on the beach .They also have a restaurant called Sharky's which has stuffed sharks that were caught near there .It's Venice ,Fl. not many waves for surfers so Al you are safe.
I used to live in Port Charlotte!! Venice is a happening town, but the Gulf of Mexico doesn't have big waves.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
As often is mentioned in these sorts of articles, the risk of being hit by lightning is much higher than getting attacked by a shark.
I question the validity of this statistic. Although I don't know for sure, I doubt that it has been adjusted for per capita exposure to either risk. If you figure how many people are in the ocean, surfers, divers, swimmers, whatever, versus how many people that experience thunderstorms, I'd think that there are billions exposed to lightening in their lifetime and, just guessing but, a million or less in the water. I don't worry about either. LA smog is a bigger threat. I avoid golf courses at all costs, though.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:45 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
As often is mentioned in these sorts of articles, the risk of being hit by lightning is much higher than getting attacked by a shark. Anyone here ever hit by lightning?.
DW and I were. Early autumn of 2006, we were in our little gazebo on the patio watching TV at dusk. The air was heavy with moisture and a few rain drops were falling from time to time. Then.......BOOM!......... An explosive, booming sound, the lights and TV went off. We looked at each other, smiling and silent, for several seconds before I came to my senses and asked DW if she was OK. I noticed my left leg was numb. She complained of severe pain in her left buttock. We calmly got up and walked into the house.

Turns out lightning hit a tree about fifteen feet from the gazebo. Bark exploded from the tree shredding the screens of the gazebo. Landscapping bricks forming a circle around the base of the tree were blown up from the ground landing around the yard. Electricity entered through my left heel and I now have a small scar there. DW caught a jolt through her left buttock leaving a scar resembling the state of Texas, and which I inspect from time to time to make sure everything is OK..........

The tree, although badly scared, is still alive and healing. We lost no electrical applicances, but the neighbor lost a big screen TV, all their telephones and some kitchen gadgets. I used a whole role of clear tape fixing the screens, which looks terrible, and DW is disappointed I haven't gotten around to doing better repairs.

The main after effect is that when I read that "you're more likely to get hit by lightning than have 'that' happen to you," we now figure that "that" happening is a real probability!

BTW, I do camp in areas (BWCAW, Quetico Provincial Park, along Ozark rivers, etc.) where having bears investigate your camp is fairly common, but, according to the experts, "your chances of being attacked are less than your chances of being hit by lightning!"
Old 10-04-2007, 12:35 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Something that most people don't realize about probabilities is that they are statements about our knowledge or our world, rather than about the world itself.

The probability that a given man will die within the next year is x.
If you find out that the man is only 25 years old, the probability is y.
If you find out that he has a terminal disease, the probability is z.

So, if you use the population of the U.S., the number of people struck by lightning, and the number of people killed by sharks, you come up with one set of probabilities. But that number may not be relevant for a guy with a death wish that surfs every day in an area known for shark attacks and routinely cuts himself shaving. Nor would it be relevant for the guy who lives on the top of a mountain and is afraid of the water.

Here's another non-fatal attack that was reported recently (from Pacific Coast Shark News ):
Marina State Beach — On August 28, 2007 Todd Endris, 24, was attacked by a White Shark while surfing off Marina State Beach, which is located 35 miles South of Santa Cruz in Monterey Bay. It was about 10:45 AM and he was about 50 yards from shore in water 5 feet deep with a foggy overcast.

The following was obtained from Wes Williams’ interview with Surfline.com. Williams recounted; “The surf was marginal but I paddled out by myself at about 10 AM. I surfed for a while and was joined first by my tow partner Brian Simpson and then Todd paddled out. Todd was sitting about 15 feet north and five yards outside us. There was one other guy surfing the same wave as us, and another guy further south on a different sandbar. Bryan started paddling for a wave when a bunch of dolphins swam by me and started circling Todd. I looked toward shore as Bryan finished off the wave, and then heard Todd yell and looked back towards him. He had been knocked off his board and the dolphins were still circling around him and thrashing. I thought, 'what did he do to upset the dolphins?'

Then he started yelling and I noticed blood seeping out into a circle in the water and I knew there was a shark down there. He yelled out, 'help me,' so I started paddling back towards him. The dolphins were still thrashing around. And then the shark came back, launching sideways at Todd. I saw its belly and a three-foot side fin - it looked about 12 feet long.

It latched onto him and started thrashing him around, pushing him six feet in one direction and then another, really fast.
Meanwhile, the dolphins were doing these big tail slaps on the surface of the water and it was so bloody the water splashes were all red. The blood pool around him was the size of a car. All of a sudden, one dolphin leapt full out of the air and swung its tail around, missing Todd's head by two inches. Todd got back on his board and we started towards shore. Joe Jansen paddled over to Todd and helped him to shore.”

Endris underwent emergency surgery at Valley Medical Center Hospital in San Jose. Officials have closed all beaches from Monterey State Beach to Moss Landing, a 15-mile stretch, and are prohibiting anyone from entering the water until Friday, August 30th.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #28

That was interesting dolphin behavior -- sort of a coordinated attack on the shark. Which sent me to google:

About Bottlenose Dolphins: Reproduction, Development, and Social Behavior - National Zoo| FONZ

... as many as 70 percent of dolphins bear shark-attack scars, and an estimated 15 percent of the population may be attacked each year. The exact mortality rate from shark attack is unknown. The risk of shark predation may have been an important factor leading to the evolution of group living (for protection) in bottlenose dolphins. More than 30 percent of Sarasota Bay’s bottlenose dolphins have visible shark attack scars, and seasonal population movements correlate with the abundance of sharks: Dolphins tend to move out of areas where sharks are abundant. In the presence of a shark, dolphin anti-predator behavior varies with the circumstances. Some simply swim away from the shark, others ram or bite it, and yet others launch coordinated group attacks to drive the predators away.

Have you surfer dudes considered putting jellyfish decals on your boards so they don't look so much like dolphin bellies?
Old 10-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Have you surfer dudes considered putting jellyfish decals on your boards so they don't look so much like dolphin bellies?
You can buy these things from Sharkcamo.com, that are supposed to make you look like a poison fish:

I think this one is more effective:

Old 04-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #30

A swimmer was just killed at Solana Beach in San Diego Co. only 150 yds offshore. Likely a great white. Last confirmed kill in that area --- 1956.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

All in all I feel much safer doing ocean swims even with sharks (saw a baby reef tip a couple of months ok.), than I feel with all of the financial sharks that are attracted to these forums
Old 04-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Glad I live in the MidWest, although a hunter shot and killed a four-foot alligator last weekend...........

Around here (Louisiana) that's called a lizard. Not really, but a four foot gator is just a baby. I've been within 10-12 feet of 12+ foot gators. I don't reccommend it, though!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Though my dream is to RE and surf costa rica... the thought of sharks always irks me - really need to face the fear!

Just watched BBC's Planet Earth documentary and the High Def super slow motion shots of great whites and seals off the coast of south africa was especially damaging for my fear conquering

Good to know the woman escaped.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

avoid murky water
don't go in the ocean with open cuts
try not to think about them
Old 04-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #35

Quote:
Overall, shark attacks are extremely rare. There were 71 reported worldwide last year, up from 63 in 2006. Only one attack, in the South Pacific, was fatal, according to the University of Florida.
The university's International Shark Attack File has counted an average of 4.1 people killed by sharks annually worldwide in the past seven years.
It would seem your odds of getting killed driving to the beach to surf is MUCH higher then getting et by a shark.

DD
Old 04-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #36

Ya its just the idea of having something eat you alive that sucks
Old 04-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
A vague memory (numbers may be off): Back in the '80s, there were several shark attacks around Hawaii. Some folks wanted to go out and kill all the sharks. A more rational person noted that during the time when there were two or three shark deaths, 40 people died by drowning in the surf; if you want to save lives, close the beaches.

That having been said, I saw this quote on a scuba forum:
Once we enter the water, we are no longer at the top of the food chain.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
It would seem your odds of getting killed driving to the beach to surf is MUCH higher then getting et by a shark.
Jumpin jesus. I didnt even know sharks drove.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Jumpin jesus. I didnt even know sharks drove.
They don't, the problem is when you pick up the hitch hiking land sharks
Old 04-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

They told me they were only dolphins.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote