Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Back in the water already--interesting that the triathlete who was killed yesterday was 66 and these brave souls are about the same age--who says the young ones have all the cojones...

Paddleboarders venture out after fatal SoCal shark attack - Yahoo! News
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We were at Solana Beach today and ventured to the area where it happened and saw a few hardy souls braving the waves. It is one thing when it is adults, however there appeared to be kids in the water at Del Mar which is not that far away.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:23 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Apparently that reporter doesn't surf, or they'd know that one of the few times that the break is uncrowded is the day after the shark attack. Macabre but fact.

For those of you who'd never go in the water again, well, try a surfing lesson or a SCUBA class. Chances are that the fun of these activities will be judged to outweigh the risk of dying enroute, during, or afterward.

If people died this way from eating cholesterol or saturated fats, I wonder if anyone would change their diets...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I dont know. If a 17' long slice of bacon with 3" teeth occasionally came out of nowhere and bit people in half, I think I'd skip it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I dont know. If a 17' long slice of bacon with 3" teeth occasionally came out of nowhere and bit people in half, I think I'd skip it.
Unless of course there was an open season for them. Theres good eating on one of them .

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #46

It's the price of gas that has been keeping me out of the water. With the surf being bunk for so long, my waves per gallon is getting too low!
Old 04-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've heard (this is part and parcel of "they say") that most shark attack victims never even saw the shark coming, because the attack is from below. So at least you're spared the anticipation of losing a limb and bleeding to death. Ugh. Like we always say, don't take anything out to the Ocean that you don't want her to have. (Usually this maxim applies to expensive sunglasses, but it's broadly applicable)

But you know what scares me? Copperheads. And all you Southerners are acting like that's no big deal. My grandparents lived in SC for a while and the day grandma woke up to find a copperhead in her Kleenex box on the veranda is the day they called a realtor and put the house up for sale. I love to garden but I don't think I could hack it if there were snakes in the bushes. At least the poisonous snakes out here (CA) have the good grace to rattle and warn you when you're too close (unlike the sharks)...

I know the great whites suck for you surfers, but boy, are they pretty! We saw one at the Monterey Bay Aquarium a few years ago ( a juvenile) and they're just awesome. In an aquarium. Behind very thick glass.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
... and they're just awesome. In an aquarium. Behind very thick glass.
... and with a little garlic sauce.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
... and with a little garlic sauce.
I see you like your mercury zesty. I try to avoid anything that eats Tuna (or surfers) -- too much bioaccumulation for me .
Old 04-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Many sharks excrete their urea by passing it through their tissues. Bon appetit!
Old 04-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Eh, put a little lemon on it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
But you know what scares me? Copperheads. And all you Southerners are acting like that's no big deal. My grandparents lived in SC for a while and the day grandma woke up to find a copperhead in her Kleenex box on the veranda is the day they called a realtor and put the house up for sale. I love to garden but I don't think I could hack it if there were snakes in the bushes. At least the poisonous snakes out here (CA) have the good grace to rattle and warn you when you're too close (unlike the sharks)...
Cottonmouths don't rattle either and their bite is a lot worse than a copperhead.

Out here we have a few rattlesnake species, scorpions and the occasional tarantula. No copperheads, no cottonmouths, no fireants, darn few mosquitoes, no fleas, no killer bees (yet) and no sharks. The Great Salt Lake does have brine shrip and a Killer Smell but that is about it.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #53

I have encountered black bears and rattlesnakes here in Southern California -
both seem more afraid of me than I am of them. The black widows around my
house are in a running battle with me - I am ahead so far, a couple hundred to zero.
I am a little more leery of the grizzlies I may see in my upcoming Alaska trip - I
will be cycling at each of the 5 stops, and 4 have grizzlies (none at Ketchikan).
I had no problem with the Killer Shrimp in Marina Del Rey.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

My ex-FIL had a place in Buckhorn, KY that was crawling with coppermouth rattleheads. I was out drinking with a bunch of good old boys fellows one night, and one of them commented that he wished he had "arn legs"...

The alternative was to wear sections of stovepipe on each leg...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I had a scary encounter with a water moccasin in Talledagga onetime.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I had a scary encounter with a water moccasin in Talledagga onetime.........
They are very aggressive, especially in water. One dropped into our canoe from an overhead tree and we let him have the boat.

I had one "eat" a whole stringer of fish once. I pulled up the stringer which had 4-5 good sized crappie on it and the darn snake had bitten and swallowed them all. In the end I won and wore his skin on a hat for a number of years. You don't mess with my fish.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #57

Another surfer (an American) was killed recently, this time by a gray shark at Troncones, a popular Mexican surf spot near Ixtapa. Shark attacks are reportedly very rare in Mexico. Of course, in the places I've surfed there, no one would generally have known if I'd been et.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #58

It's all a matter of taking advantage of the resources available.

Close Calls - AOL Video
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Nice. If the boat towing the guy and the fake shark had a little more line you wouldnt have seen the wake.