Join Early Retirement Today

Shelf life of a trader?
Old 03-06-2019, 01:39 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Shelf life of a trader?

So you see it in the movies... Wallstreet for instance "Get out while ya can, kid". etc etc.
I just read that 75% of Goldman's staff are Millenials/GenX. That means, that only 25% of the staff are older than 37. So basically 3 out of 4 people over 37 lose there jobs at Goldman.

I'll never forget my dad a retired engineer rumbling around in his early 50s about age discrimination. One of my motivating factors for ER.
So I guess the saying is true... "Get out while ya can, kid!"

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

But are they happy?
Old 03-06-2019, 01:49 PM   #2

But are they happy?

Perhaps they score so much $$ in a short time, they're already retired at 37?

Old 03-06-2019, 01:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post

Totally plausible! With those 1%+ fee's a couple hundred million under management over the career and they are done I suppose.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #4

Depends on how good the trader is, or how lucky in the short term. Goldman supposedly dismisses the lowest 10 % performing , non administrative staff every year. So that is a good amount of turnover beyond normal attrition reasons.

It's up or out in some places.

EDIT: I hear being fired at Goldman is somewhat a rite of passage , just look at Jim Cramer.
He " Left Goldman" as he describes. Not sure how his hedge fund did, but it's long gone. Overall, he has done well, post Goldman.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

They get greedy and leave to start hedge funds.
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Totally plausible! With those 1%+ fee's a couple hundred million under management over the career and they are done I suppose.
Wall Street is a young person's game for the most part. The traders are trading the firms' portfolios and are not involved with the asset management part of the firm.
Goldman is one of the best paying of the classic Wall Street firms and if one is good, they can can out with millions in their 30's.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
So you see it in the movies... Wallstreet for instance "Get out while ya can, kid". etc etc.
I just read that 75% of Goldman's staff are Millenials/GenX. That means, that only 25% of the staff are older than 37. So basically 3 out of 4 people over 37 lose there jobs at Goldman.

I'll never forget my dad a retired engineer rumbling around in his early 50s about age discrimination. One of my motivating factors for ER.
So I guess the saying is true... "Get out while ya can, kid!"

If 75% are Millenials/GenX, then 75% of them are between 22 and 54!!! You have done the math a tad wrong here.

Generation X: Born 1965-1980 (39-54 years old)
Millennials: Born 1981-1996 (23-38 years old)

A lot more than 25% of the staff is over 37.

25% of the staff is over 54, 75% is between 23 and 54.
DenverGuy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:38 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Well Goldman staff may not be traders. Technically traders work at the exchange.

Once I chatted with a trader with CBOE, he was an old guy but just retired.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
or even 33, I understand.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountry View Post
Well Goldman staff may not be traders. Technically traders work at the exchange.

Once I chatted with a trader with CBOE, he was an old guy but just retired.
Not necessarily. Traders at Goldman can work at Broad Street trading the firms' proprietary positions.
I supported many Wall Street traders who sat and traded in the same building as the support staff.