Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
If you are from a humid area, like Houston, you may have to change your tires within a 2 years span. When I was driving from Houston to Chicago, two of my tires had dry rot from the weather there. It just would not be safe going so many miles with the possibility of a blowout.
Interesting since my 10 year old tires were in Houston 9.9 of those years and Texas all but the shipment when I bought the car...

Replaced them because I finally wore them out after 66K miles...

As for the OP... you got some high rated tires... would have bought them, but they did not have them and I did not want to wait..

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2007, 04:12 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've done some more looking and it appears 6 to 10 years is when you should replace tires due to age. Anything beyond 10 years would be pushing it.

Just called up the Discount Tire folks, and apparently my tires are on back order and won't be delivered for 2-3 weeks. I just checked my original equipment tires, and they have a serial number ending in "0800", so they were manufactured around Mar 1, 2000. In other words, 7.5 years old. I'll have to make sure the new tires aren't too old...

Old 10-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
I've done some more looking and it appears 6 to 10 years is when you should replace tires due to age. Anything beyond 10 years would be pushing it.
Well this is very encouraging. Thanks. This is a very timely thread for me. My tires are about 5 years old, and have about 20K-25K miles on them. Maybe I can nurse them along for another year or two (another 9000 miles or so). By that time I will be ready to buy a new car.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Call me crazy (go ahead, do it), but I always buy my tires from Costco. They seem to have decent tires at good prices and they rotate/balance for free whenever I want. The tires work out to be about $70-$80 each and they last about 50k miles usually. DW and I drive our cars about 12k/year so it's less than $80/year. I've seen ads for "4 tires for $99" but from what I've heard, these aren't exactly the safest tires.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:49 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I buy michelins from Costco as well. Nice that they'll balance and rotate them for you while you're in shopping, and repair flats for the life of the tire.

Not replacing tires until you see steel is certainly an option. You could probably run across the highway naked with a bag over your head a few dozen times with nothing bad ever happening to you. But I wouldnt recommend it.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll have to make sure the new tires aren't too old..
You're going to make sure before they ship, right?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
You could probably run across the highway naked with a bag over your head
I will never get that image out of my head and will need several years of therapy.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:53 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Isn't that an urban myth? Remember, air is ~ 80% nitrogen already. If the other 20% actually did leak out, and you topped it off with regular air, you would be at 96% Nitrogen. A second top-off puts you at 99.2%, about as pure as the stuff in the tanks.
Good points. I didn't research it very deeply, but here's what one site ( Tampabay: Nitrogen in your tires: an inflated idea? ) said:

"Nitrogen-filled tires stay inflated about three times as long as than air-filled tires, advocates say, and while a typical tire inflated with compressed air might lose 2.7 pounds of pressure monthly, one filled with nitrogen loses 0.7 pound."

Notice that they didn't quote a source.

I wouldn't pay $10 each to have my tires inflated with nitrogen. OTOH, it does sound like they'll leak slower and there's also the fact that there will be less O2 free radicalizing/oxidizing the tire from the inside out. Some high-performance airplanes and race cars use nitrogen, but that appears to be largely an attempt to reduce the risk/consequences of a wheel/brake fire.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:30 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Notice that they didn't quote a source.
That's the trouble. I've seen it repeated a zillion times on this here internets, but never an actual source.

If I did lose #2.7 (on average - some worse?) per month, my tires would be noticeably low when I went for an oil change. I rarely top them off, if I need to I usually find a leak - and I don't think N would help with that.

Another common 'reason' given is that pro race car drivers use it in their tires - must be better, right? Nope. The reason pros use it is that they found a tank of N was a convenient way to run their air tools. Dry and clean, no big heavy compressor to move around, plug in and wait to come up to pressure. Hey, as long as we have this tank here, why not fill our tires, too?

Might be something to the lack of O2. I'd love to find a source for that.

-ERD50
Old 10-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Another common 'reason' given is that pro race car drivers use it in their tires - must be better, right? Nope. The reason pros use it is that they found a tank of N was a convenient way to run their air tools. Dry and clean, no big heavy compressor to move around, plug in and wait to come up to pressure. Hey, as long as we have this tank here, why not fill our tires, too?

-ERD50

What I had heard on one of the races I watch... it is because they can get the pressure more precise... their car handles differently with only a 1/4 or 1/2 lb difference... don't know why they could not do it with air, but hey, what do I know?
Old 10-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
I will never get that image out of my head and will need several years of therapy.
You're right! I've never seen a cute fuzzy bunny with a bag over its head.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
You're right! I've never seen a cute fuzzy bunny with a bag over its head.
Sorry about that bad mental imagery. I guess the good news is that theres absolutely no charge!!!

I dont have a handy rabbit with a bag on its head, how about this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat head bag.jpg (5.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 10-20-2007, 02:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Sorry about that bad mental imagery. I guess the good news is that theres absolutely no charge!!!

At least it still has it's clothes on.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:34 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
At least it still has it's clothes on.
Hmm...naked cat?

Devil made me do it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat not amused.jpg (52.9 KB, 39 views)
Old 10-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You're going to make sure before they ship, right?
Nope. Won't even attempt to verify their age before I buy. My tires aren't even in the possession of discount tires right now since they are on order for their factory. If they show up at my doorstep and are "old" (over a year old), then I'll complain and ask for a partial refund, and ultimately charge back if discount tires won't make things right. They'll make things right, from all the consumer reviews I've read. BTW, Discount tires is a major chain with a ton of B&M stores around here and I also bought my DW's tires there 2 years ago with good results.

edited to add: I think there's an implied warranty of merchantability in this transaction. That is, the product should be fit for it's intended purpose. A product where a significant portion of it's life has already expired without notice prior to sale would violate the implied warranty of merchantability, thereby allowing me to repudiate the contract or seek damages.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:00 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
Nope. Won't even attempt to verify their age before I buy. My tires aren't even in the possession of discount tires right now since they are on order for their factory. If they show up at my doorstep and are "old" (over a year old), then I'll complain and ask for a partial refund, and ultimately charge back if discount tires won't make things right. They'll make things right, from all the consumer reviews I've read. BTW, Discount tires is a major chain with a ton of B&M stores around here and I also bought my DW's tires there 2 years ago with good results.

edited to add: I think there's an implied warranty of merchantability in this transaction. That is, the product should be fit for it's intended purpose. A product where a significant portion of it's life has already expired without notice prior to sale would violate the implied warranty of merchantability, thereby allowing me to repudiate the contract or seek damages.
Don't you think that they have disclaimed any implied warranties?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:36 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Someone let the cat out of the bag...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Don't you think that they have disclaimed any implied warranties?
No?? Why would I think that?? I didn't see any "conspicuous" disclaimers (as required by the U.C.C) to disclaim the implied warranty of merchantability. As far as I can tell from a search of their website and purchase process, there is no disclaimer. Maybe when the tires arrive there will be some sort of contract boilerplate language which disclaims the warranty of merchantability - which is fine, I'll just cancel the contract and return the product.

Worst case, if they refuse to make things right, I'll just charge back the purchase with my credit card. But like I said earlier, all the reviews and my own past experience indicate this is a stand up company such that I won't be arguing details of the UCC w/ them.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:59 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't realize tires had a shelf life, if you just store them on the shelf.