Join Early Retirement Today

Shift Happens...
Old 06-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Shift Happens...

glumbert.com - Shift Happens

The statistics broken down in this format are startling!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting presentation although I had heard a lot of the stuff before. Of course, at this MegaCorp, our SVP is Chinese and our Group President is Indian-American. And we create and analyze terabytes of data on a regular basis. And the computer in the microwave is smarter than me.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:05 PM   #3

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ens-27641.html
Old 06-02-2007, 05:09 AM   #4

Right, bssc.. it only takes a $100 DVD/VCR player to exceed the capability of my human brain!

Seriously, it starts out interestingly, but ends up kind of mixing the metaphors without calling attention to that (which is in the end most interesting of all). What I mean is, it starts out along nationalistic lines and then waxes on technological.. the way I see it the challenge will be to define "nations" in the future. Also, despite comparisons to China and Luxembourg, I think the US will be in the lead for content generation and consumption for a looong time, as well as leading in making web-based sites and apps actually work for people; the fact that Luxembourg is more "wired" doesn't automatically give them a productive status, just a passive one.

I can't think of any generation that wasn't "trained" based on existing, rather than future, technology.. so I can't see the point of hand-wringing over that. Just to go back 10 or 20 or 50 years and look at the predictions of what would be happening now, as described in Popular Science or Wired.. we can see that a lot of assumptions are to be taken with a grain of salt.

And, can anyone explain MySpace to me? What is the appeal over a regular blog? I have only looked at it a couple times and find it impossibly ugly, confusing, and off-putting. Seems like a lot of wasted energy, but I'm just an old curmudgeon (47). ;-)
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was born in 1948. I remember when we got the first TV on the block, and later on I remember how difficult the concept of TWO television channels was after only having one for so long. I grew up reading Tom Swift and dreaming that someday man might even conquer outer space.

The younger members of this forum would probably think it boring if I went on and on about what things were like in the early 50's. But though I am occasionally nostalgic, I consider it to be a huge and precious privilege to be alive and to see and experience today's magnificent world, as well.

Dealing with a changing world has been a lot like surfing. Nords and others here might know what I mean, even if they mainly use longboards. You have to constantly balance and adjust, and be aware and have a little foresight.

Many years ago, when I was completing my B.S. in electrical engineering at Texas A&M, I was impressed by the emphasis on developing problem solving skills as opposed to rote memorization. Problem solving skills can be so helpful in dealing with rapidly changing technology. They have been helpful in dealing with shifts in all facets of life.

Surfing these changes has even helped in developing my retirement plan. Who would have thought that we would have to deal with the obstacles we may face, and unexpected opportunities we may have, in comparison with retirements 50 years ago?

Life has been a series of delightful, challenging, often surprising, and sometimes tragic changes. What a wave this one is. Long live all of us.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote