Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Oh yeah for our 25th anniversary I wore no shirt (we splurged and went snorkeling in the caribbean). Later that day also had no need for a shirt. 😄
So for me it is T-shirts or no shirts.
Now that was the post I was waiting for

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by retireage50 View Post
in retirement life or after work what percentage do you wear:
1. T-shirt
2. Polo shirt
3. Button down shirt

for me it is:
99.9%
.1%
0%

for my dad it is:
0%
0%
100%

sent from my iphone using early retirement forum
1) 99.9%
2) 0.1%
3) 0%

Old 10-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd say 100% T-shirts except I have a few Hawaiian shirts for occasional wear.
I haven't worn a button-down shirt in years (while still working the company adopted the "business-casual" code, implying that they wanted everyone to wear polo shirts. Our department manager adssumed a "T-shirt and jacket" look so I went with that since the trail had been blazed.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Summers = t-shirts around the house. If I'm golfing then golf/polo shirt (collars required at most courses around here).

Winters = usually flannel shirts

Button down shirts only for weddings, funerals and other special events.

Overall guess = 60/35/5 which by coincidence is pretty close to my asset allocation
Now I'm no rocket surgeon, but this thread may have some scientific theory behind it. Does AA and SA (Shirt Allocation) correlate?
Old 10-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Now that I'm up north as weather permits.

1. I have a 35 yr old Mardis Gras T - purple green gold neck with a printed masks motif - complete with scattered holes due to age.
2. Assorted Pendelton wool shirts - including the wardrobe off the Beach Boys LP - board shirt, white pants and I add a pair of Huarache sandals.
3. Then of course bib overalls or Big Bill logger jeans with suspenders/galluses and long or short sleeve T or Henley.

heh heh heh - I live in a neighborhood overrun with students/young professionals - shorts and T's or dress slacks and polo's. My lefthandedness compels the bib overall outfit as a form of rebellion. Aka - 'screw you I'm retired.' With apology to Ray Wylie Hubbard.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My shirt AA is 100/0/0.

I suppose if you wanted to be picky, you could make the last figure a 0.1 for the very small number of funerals I go to. I haven't been to a wedding in a very long time.

I used to get plenty of free band shirts from work but since ER'ing about 5 years ago, have actually paid money for a few t-shirts. I even bought a rather pricey one a couple of days ago, as the proceeds went to help a cause dear to my heart - the opening of the first Cat Cafe in the US.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:08 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I'm female. Not fully retired, but I know the answer to this one. Summer--T-shirts (when not swimming), Winter--sweatshirts. When I need to "dress up" I wear sweaters in the winter, short sleeve sweaters or polos in the summer. Can't stand dresses or nylons.
I might wear a dress on a rare occasion, but I do believe I threw out my last pair of nylons in 1995.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:18 PM   #28

Only the best Polo (Golf) shirts... major brands Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer, Ping, Callaway, Nike etc.... that I get at my local resale store... as many as you can fit into the wire handle baskets @$5 per basket... Usually 7 or 8 shirts.
I always have several dozen on hand, and recycle regularly.
Worn on the outside (not tucked in).

No weddings, and funerals no longer require formal dress. Keep some ties... nostalgia... never worn in the past 25 years.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:07 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I wear t-shirts almost exclusively (my go-to is a plain, dark t-shirt). I don't like polo shirts and don't own any. And I reserve button down shirts for special occasions.

Same here. My "uniform" is a plain colored t-shirt and shorts (jeans when the temps dip down into the frigid 60s).

For the last 7 years I had a job where I could dress like that every day. Now, much to my dismay, I'm in a gig that requires long pants and button down shirts.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:39 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

1) ?%
2) ?%
3) ?%

I get up in the morning and put on what's handy. If I was to make a note of what I was wearing, it would be w*rk and I doubt I'd be paid. If you are offering payment (at consultant rates) I might be able to help.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:46 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Mr. A. wears a T-shirt or a sweat shirt, depending on the temperature. This is the way he has always dressed at home; retirement made no difference. If we go out, he wears a button-down shirt, which reminds me of how great he still looks.

In warm weather, I wear sleeveless tops and shorts. In colder weather, I wear knit turtlenecks and jeans. Only wear shirts with buttons (blouses) if going out. I still work part-time, and wear good jeans and nice knit tops to work (used to wear suits before retirement).

Now that I think of it, my retirement garb is almost an exact duplicate of my undergraduate school garb!

Amethyst
Old 10-29-2014, 05:59 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Button down and Polo shirts for me.

05%
15%

Personally, I don't think I look that good in t-shirts, though there are times when it does fill the bill better than anything else. When I say T-shirt I mean a colored one with no logo, cartoon picture or advertisement on it of any kind.

Keep in mind that the t-shirt and even the polo shirt look may not work well for those of us in the colder climates.
I am like you in this matter.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:05 AM   #33

95% T-Shirt, long sleeve T-Shirts in winter
5% Polo

I've worn button down shirts 3 times since I retired in 2008 so figured that wasn't enough to measure. Oddly, 2 of the 3 times were in the same week.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm like 95% / 0% / 5% . Off topic, but finding a 'tapered' button-down shirt now-a-days at a decent price seems impossible. Back in the day when I dressed 'fancy', tapered shirts were everywhere---guess everybody got fat and there's no demand for tapered shirts.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #35

Standard outfit is T-shirt and cargo shorts or synthetic travel pants.

Mother in-law is probably embarrassed but hasn't said anything outright.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 10-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Button down and Polo shirts for me.

05%
15%

Personally, I don't think I look that good in t-shirts, though there are times when it does fill the bill better than anything else. When I say T-shirt I mean a colored one with no logo, cartoon picture or advertisement on it of any kind.

Keep in mind that the t-shirt and even the polo shirt look may not work well for those of us in the colder climates.
I'm pretty much in this category right now, as well. I own a lot of button down type shirts. Things could change down the road, but for now, I like my button-downs. Even when I'm out on the water fishing.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #37
Administrator

t-shirts (grungy oversized mens' cotton t-shirts, around the house only): 60%
polo shirts: 10%
button down shirts: 0%
Solid color shell tops: 30%

Here's a photo from the internet showing what I call a shell top. They are womens' blouses made of polyester and I don't know if they qualify as t-shirts or not. Maybe?

I don't even own any button down shirts.

I kept one little black dress to wear to funerals and so on. Oddly, despite numerous funerals of friends and relatives before retiring, there hasn't been one in the past five years of retirement. So it sits there in the back of my closet, unused.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #38

Summer:

1. T-shirt - 90%
2. Polo shirt 8%
3. Button down shirt 2%

Winter:

0. Undershirt and Sweatshirt - 49%
1. T-shirt and Sweatshirt - 49%
2. Polo shirt < 1%
3. Undershirt and Button down shirt 2%

When DW gives me the "you're not wearning that!" stink-eye, or when I'm going to the doctor or dentist, I dawn the button-down.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #39

OK, someone has to be different:

2% t-shirt (for yard or auto work)
5% bike jersey
90% polo
3% button down

The big difference in ER is that shorts are the go-to rather than long pants.

In the winter just throw a sweater over the polo.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #40

Mostly T-shirts in warm weather, long-sleeve T-shirts and sweaters in colder weather.

About 7 years ago I started getting business clothing made by a local tailor. I'd planned on working till age 65 so was satisfied that it was a good investment. I quit earlier this year, at 61 instead. Oops. I have 3 shirts of the finest cotton, with French cuffs. I also own two sets of very good cuff links, one that's 14K gold with inlaid onyx and one of antique sterling silver. I could get away with dressing up to that extent for church, but most people don't so I tend to dress down, too.

I almost bought a pair of cuff links I really liked 3 months before the BS got so bad at my job that I quit. They cost $3,000. Darn glad I talked myself out of them.