99.9%
.1%
0%

For my dad it is:
0%
0%
100%

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

In the summer it is either a T-shirt or for formal occasions a polo shirt (which MUST have a pocket) over it.

In the winter it is a long-sleeve flannel shirt.

"95% 4% 1%" is my shirt AA.

Quite often, my wife has nagged me to upgrade from the T-shirt when we go to a sibling's home for dinner.

When a T-shirt gets all worn out, I say I want to keep it for doing yard work, painting, etc... Then, I forget and wear it around the house, and one time a niece came for a visit, stayed for dinner, and saw me with the T-shirt full of holes. :) And she said something to the effect that one had to be rich to be so confident.

As I am on my 3rd year of retirement, more T-shirts have bitten the dust. So, the other day my wife pulled out from storage souvenir T-shirts we bought in our travels. I am wearing one that I forgot that I bought in Canada more than 10 years ago. Ah, these T-shirts bring back memories.

Last edited:
I'm female. Not fully retired, but I know the answer to this one. Summer--T-shirts (when not swimming), Winter--sweatshirts. When I need to "dress up" I wear sweaters in the winter, short sleeve sweaters or polos in the summer. Can't stand dresses or nylons.

1) 95%
2) 5%
3) 0% (unless you count the henley style tees with 2-3 buttons)

My guess for current after work with little anticipated change post ER:
60%
20%
20%

Button down and Polo shirts for me.

05%
15%

Personally, I don't think I look that good in t-shirts, though there are times when it does fill the bill better than anything else. When I say T-shirt I mean a colored one with no logo, cartoon picture or advertisement on it of any kind.

Keep in mind that the t-shirt and even the polo shirt look may not work well for those of us in the colder climates.

Last edited:
In summer I like a short-sleeved cotton camp shirt or a plain good quality cotton tee shirt. A "better" tee shirt is not so sheer and has some weight and tends to be longer also. I will leave it to the young girls to expose their midriffs.

In winter I wear a tee shirt with a flannel, jean shirt or corduroy shirt over it. If I am walking outside I wear a hoodie or polartec fleece over a tee shirt.

Mine is about: 90% 9% and 1%

And I have NEVER worn a tie since ER! Love it! I wonder how long I can keep the streak going?

In retirement life or after work what percentage do you wear:
1. T-shirt
2. Polo Shirt
3. Button Down Shirt...

Summers = t-shirts around the house. If I'm golfing then golf/polo shirt (collars required at most courses around here).

Winters = usually flannel shirts

Button down shirts only for weddings, funerals and other special events.

Overall guess = 60/35/5 which by coincidence is pretty close to my asset allocation :facepalm:

I'd guess 60% - 35% - 5% for myself. The only reason I don't wear dress shirts more often is because then DW (still working) would have to iron them. My priority has more to do with what's wash & wear (without needing ironing) than any other factor. And we both avoid clothes that require dry cleaning as often as possible.

I do ALL the cooking and ALL laundry in case you were wondering why DW does all the ironing. :)

And I have NEVER worn a tie since ER! Love it! I wonder how long I can keep the streak going?

Since I retired about the only time I wear a tie is weddings (one coming up this spring) and funerals.

Oh, I did wear one when I took DW out to a nice restaurant for our 25th anniversary.

After work:
Summer, tanks and tees
Winter, long sleeve tees and long sleeve denim shirts
Sweaters and sweat shirts year round if going out to stores/restaurants. Summer the a/c is always too cold in stores/restaurants.

Whether i'm working or not, i'm 100% t-shirt. I wear a t-shirt every day. If it's cold I put a hoodie over it. If it's Very cold I put a jacket over the hoodie with a t-shirt under. Going forward, the only reason I can think of to wear something more "dressy" than a t-shirt is if I go to a funeral. Then I wear a button down shirt.

1)97.8%
2)0%
3)2.2%

I've been to 1 wedding and 3 funerals since I retired 6 months ago. I've worn a t shirt every day since retiring, but wore button down shirts on those 4 days. I have 2 button down shirt days on the horizon within the next 3 months. I need to get a few more sweatshirts and flannel shirts to get me through the winter

Last edited:
Oh yeah for our 25th anniversary I wore no shirt (we splurged and went snorkeling in the caribbean). Later that day also had no need for a shirt. 😄
So for me it is T-shirts or no shirts.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Since I retired about the only time I wear a tie is weddings (one coming up this spring) and funerals.

I've worn a tie 3 times in my life. I will never wear another one. I don't expect to go to any weddings and a button down shirt is dressy enough for a funeral.

I wear t-shirts almost exclusively (my go-to is a plain, dark t-shirt). I don't like polo shirts and don't own any. And I reserve button down shirts for special occasions.

Oh yeah for our 25th anniversary I wore no shirt (we splurged and went snorkeling in the caribbean). Later that day also had no need for a shirt. 😄
So for me it is T-shirts or no shirts.

Now that was the post I was waiting for :)

in retirement life or after work what percentage do you wear:
1. T-shirt
2. Polo shirt
3. Button down shirt

for me it is:
99.9%
.1%
0%

for my dad it is:
0%
0%
100%

sent from my iphone using early retirement forum
1) 99.9%
2) 0.1%
3) 0%

I'd say 100% T-shirts except I have a few Hawaiian shirts for occasional wear.
I haven't worn a button-down shirt in years (while still working the company adopted the "business-casual" code, implying that they wanted everyone to wear polo shirts. Our department manager adssumed a "T-shirt and jacket" look so I went with that since the trail had been blazed.

Summers = t-shirts around the house. If I'm golfing then golf/polo shirt (collars required at most courses around here).

Winters = usually flannel shirts

Button down shirts only for weddings, funerals and other special events.

Overall guess = 60/35/5 which by coincidence is pretty close to my asset allocation :facepalm:

Now I'm no rocket surgeon, but this thread may have some scientific theory behind it. Does AA and SA (Shirt Allocation) correlate?

Now that I'm up north as weather permits.

1. I have a 35 yr old Mardis Gras T - purple green gold neck with a printed masks motif - complete with scattered holes due to age.
2. Assorted Pendelton wool shirts - including the wardrobe off the Beach Boys LP - board shirt, white pants and I add a pair of Huarache sandals.
3. Then of course bib overalls or Big Bill logger jeans with suspenders/galluses and long or short sleeve T or Henley.

heh heh heh - I live in a neighborhood overrun with students/young professionals - shorts and T's or dress slacks and polo's. My lefthandedness compels the bib overall outfit as a form of rebellion. Aka - 'screw you I'm retired.' :D With apology to Ray Wylie Hubbard. :greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom