Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had a 1/2 lb burger at the local Red Lobster today for lunch, and ordered it medium. They didn't seem to care how I wanted it cooked, it was up to me entirely. I normally order my steaks medium or medium-well.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
That's easy for an adult to say. What about my three year old godson? Would you hold him responsible for his own kidney failure? What's more, he was the child of very responsible parents who would never knowingly do anything to put him at risk.
I agree with you. The regrettable situation you describe sounds like a clear case of negligence on someone's (not the parents or child) part. I assume there were law suits as there should be.

My point was about those taking known risks from uncooked meat to sky diving. I wasn't talking about children getting (apparently) accidentally undercooked meat from a vendor who should know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I thought the original post was about London, England.
Sorry, that was my way of being "political" without bringing out the pig. My bad.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

We don't eat beef (I very rarely fall off the wagon for a grass fed steak), so its not an issue for us. Salmonella in poultry, however, is a major concern. After reading in Consumer Reports that something like the majority of supermarket chickens are contaminated, I am very careful about thorough cooking and cleaning prep surfaces.

Maybe the best solution is really simple. We were at my in-laws for dinner with a large group. My SIL asked my youngest what letter her favorite food began with. "S" was the response. Squid? Spaghetti? "Squirrel!" she shouted. DW was not pleased in the slightest, but I find it on land that is not contaminated, I kill it, I process it, and I cook it. Organic and free range, too.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It does seem burgers are a greater concern than other cuts of beef. I would imagine those other cuts, like steaks, are generally safe once they are seared on the outside even if they are still light red inside.
You also need to be aware that injection marinated meats of any type and cut/formed steaks carry the same risk as ground beef/turkey/pork/chicken/other and should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #25
Administrator

Since it is only central London that the news item refers to (Westminster Council) maybe they are thinking that it would be really bad for tourism if someone got sick or died from a hamburger.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I sat in on a talk looking at health safety of beef and the speaker basically said that it was unavoidable to get feces on the outside of the meat during processing. Given this, I'm surprised that more people don't get sick from rare/medium hamburgers.

Personally I like any red meat well done (no pink please). But I will happily eat sushi.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Since it is only central London that the news item refers to (Westminster Council) maybe they are thinking that it would be really bad for tourism if someone got sick or died from a hamburger.
When I go to the British Isles, it's Fish and Chips along with a pint.
Or, Bangers and Mash along with a pint.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Me too, but it's amazing the number of Americans I know that go there and look for burgers and fries.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Me too, but it's amazing the number of Americans I know that go there and look for burgers and fries.
Something I will never understand.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #30

Too (sadly) true.
With the explosion in the number of really good gastropubs in the last ten years, England's reputation for food has practically done a 180 IMHO. It's not Belgium yet, but I've had some really marvelous meals there, in many different cities and towns. They're in no danger of losing this tourist's custom!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:47 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I think I ate a couple of steak and kidney pies there at the height of the mad cow problem in 1991. They didn't know it was the height of the problem at the time! I guess I would know by now if......

I'm just not a burger eater and really don't care for ground beef in any form - it always lack flavor to me. Give me a steak! Actually, I do great steaks at home so I never bother to order them in a restaurant. Well, OK, fajitas - give me fajitas! (arrachera here - awesome!)
Old 12-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
With the explosion in the number of really good gastropubs in the last ten years, England's reputation for food has practically done a 180 IMHO. It's not Belgium yet, but I've had some really marvelous meals there, in many different cities and towns. They're in no danger of losing this tourist's custom!
Well that is great news. Other than a lovely restaurant in Fotheringhay which was quite reasonable, we avoided the finer dining establishments (famous for being pricey) and ate pub grub on our cross-country B&B forays. It was - edible. But that's OK, we had many fabulous afternoon teas and the desserts were very good.

Had a great fish and chips at a diner in Whitby, but it was the trifle for dessert that made the day!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #33
Administrator

hmmmm.... trifle... preferably made with sherry

Old 12-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now would we call that trifle a dessert or pudding?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Now would we call that trifle a dessert or pudding?
Depends where you live. Some call it pudding, some call it dessert, some call it afters, others just call it delicious

Apologies to those Brits whose regional terms I have missed

Old 12-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All over the world sadly. I remember seeing a McDonalds in Nassau full of Americans, and thinking, why come this far to pay a premium to eat a (substandard) hamburger? They're not good hamburgers in the US! I'll never understand...I want to experience as much of the local culture, including local food, as possible when I travel - even in the US (regional culture and food).

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Difference being that you have to eat a lot of overly cooked beef for you to increase your chances of cancer.

One burger with live e-coli can be deadly. From October this year in N. Carolina. (note that the source of the bacteria was never determined, but is an example of what a batch of contaminated food can do)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/16/us...d-to-fair.html
Of course, under cook any meat and you could risk having a problem.

What ever we do in this day and age, there are risks and probably over reactions making headline.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I like my steak cooked medium rare to medium, but am too chicken to have hamburger anything other than well done.

About eating hamburgers abroad, we do not eat fast food when in the US, but several times in Europe, would look for a McDonald . Yes, the local cuisine was great, but sometimes left one wanting some "comfort" food from home.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I don't eat much red meat anymore, and poultry scares me - though we eat more chicken than any other protein. I guess I need to learn to exist on carrots and celery...

Just curious how long it will take, and who it will be, for someone to post a warning about carrots and/or celery?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Oh, I'm sure it was sherry trifle, and really the best I ever had.

Whitby was a delightful seaside town and the abbey ruins spectacular - what a view! It was cooooooold even in July with that wind coming in off the North Sea, but we totally enjoyed our visit. Venders were out selling cockles - I wasn't brave enough to try those.

The biggest conflict we had with the British culture was wanting our coffee WITH our dessert, not afterwards, LOL! It just seemed so odd to our waiters.