Join Early Retirement Today

Shoes
Old 09-27-2007, 06:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Shoes

I want some shoes that look good with a suit, but are also comfortable for walking 4 or 5 miles. I know it is a tradeoff, but my Birks just won’t do it in the looks department.

I want to be able to walk downtown, do some business, maybe stop in a hotel bar before walking home.

My feet are normal, except that I do need good arch supports. Any suggestions?

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

These shoes are very stylish and should be very comfortable. The ladies should notice you too !

Old 09-27-2007, 06:29 PM   #3

always buy the best bed and the best shoes. if you are not in one you are in the other.

besides the rare nonsecular business luncheon that i couldn't avoid and a yearly vanity, i mean, awards ceremony, i have never dressed for anything but my own comfort. though this year's 50th b-day party/high school reunion required jackets to board the dinner cruise. one of the dumbest things i ever did. you put on your jacket to board the boat and then they are hung on the backs of chairs for the rest of the cruise. in protest i "accidentally" left my blazer in new jersey. ooops. never to be worn by me again.

i don't understand substituting comfort for fashion. but even if you absolutely feel you have to wear a dark suit for some ungodly reason, i don't see why you can't find yourself a nice pair of comfy black sneakers, or the masterblaster's bunny shoes. if anyone says anything i'd claim a bunion.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I used to wear Joseph Seibel's and Ecco's until I developed a bunion. Now I swear by SoftWalk since they come in wider widths. (I add some padding to coddle the bunion.) Also, I still wear Ecco sandels, they work beautifully as walking shoes; I cut one of the straps off to let the bunion out. Who let the dogs out?
Old 09-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
Administrator

If you have a SAS shoestore in your location, they are great.

Unfortunately, due to the company's eccentric owner, they are not available online and so they can be hard to find. But if you see such a store, they are worth investigating. They make shoes for both men and women.

I wore some to a formal meeting in June, and walked 4 miles (2 miles beforehand, and 2 miles during the lunch hour). By the time I returned after lunch I was hot, but my feet didn't hurt.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I want some shoes that look good with a suit, but are also comfortable for walking 4 or 5 miles. I know it is a tradeoff, but my Birks just won’t do it in the looks department.
My feet are normal, except that I do need good arch supports. Any suggestions?
You might find a good model in the sports or casual wear departments. Rockport or Nike used to make a good basic black leather-upper walking shoe with foam/gel soles. They looked great with everything up to a three-piece pinstripe, and I had a pair for nearly a decade before they wore out. If they're not enough arch support on their own, you could add a pair of slip-in orthotics.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:55 PM   #7

ditto on the SAS ones. I used them when I was trying to avoid surgery on my feet. They along with some exercises did the trick. I wear one pair for outside and one pair for inside the house. Have been wearing them for about 6 years now.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Timberland - I usually get sick of them before they wear out. May be too casual for you.

Rockport.

Clarks.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I think the two best choices are Finn Comfort and Birkenstock. Birkenstock does make standard shoes. Both Finn Comfort and Birks can be very expensive but sometimes good sales can be found.

Sierra Trading post sometimes has good deals on superior shoes:
Men's & Women's Shoes and Boots - Save 35-70% on Famous Name Brands

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'll add approval for Rockport, but I haven't tried those other ones.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Suit? Your retired. Forget the suit.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:35 PM   #12

Old 09-27-2007, 07:36 PM   #13

I second Ecco! I have some sandals that I wear all the time. They really are comfortable and wear well too. Ecco has many styles for men.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:55 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Rockports, they can be formal enough for wear with a suit and nearly as comfortable as tennis shoes. I wore plain black ones with my USAF uniform for 12 years (had one pair re-soled three times), and relegated my hot, stiff, blister producing Corfams "plasti-shoes" to parade-use only. Which was, effectively, never.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:11 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for all the suggestions. Since I'm used to wearing Birks, I'll look first at their offerings in the dressier styles.

And OAP, I'm not sure of the conection, but laughed my way all through the video. Sent it to a friend with an Indian ex husband.

Ha
Old 09-27-2007, 08:22 PM   #16

Look at Red Wing shoes. Some are really great and look excellent with a suit and are as comfortable as running nike shoes!

Red Wing Shoes
Old 09-27-2007, 09:27 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, what Rich and SamClem suggested: Rockport.
You can run comfortablly in them if necessary.
For a time I had trouble finding any without "Rockport" written on the outside somewhere - but they make 'em.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:00 PM   #18

My SO also wears rockport and they look fancy enough and are comfortable.

I don't know if this applies to mens shoes...but i have found wearing them a half size larger and putting insoles helps too...

the green ones at footlocker are pretty great...i am not a fan of the gellin' crap from dr. scholl...
Old 09-28-2007, 04:45 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I wear almost nothing but Clarks these days. Very comfy and style ranges from extremely casual to fairly dressy. All are comfy. Best part is that they have outlets, so I can buy $120 shoes for $50.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:35 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Ha ,Listen to Brewer ! He not only knows stocks but he knows shoes .If you stop in a bar with a suit and black sneakers women will laugh at you , maybe some desperate women won't but trust me the rest will .Go with Clarks or Rockports !