Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2007, 11:12 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey, take a ~40k budget, remove taxes, utilities and oddball expenses and whatcha got left? I buy it at costco if they sell it. One of the few businesses that have never left me wishing I had a bag of poo and a match.

Saw an article last month...costco employees serving in iraq are not only guaranteed their jobs back when they're done with their service, but their benefits (including family coverage) is continued, costco pays the differential between their costco and military pay, and each warehouse sends 5 care packages per year to each of its employees that are in service overseas.

I can get behind a company that treats its employees well, because they treat me well as a customer.

Sort of the polar opposite of firing your customers who complain about the lousy service you're giving them.

Costco Connection - April 2007

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I can get behind a company that treats its employees well, because they treat me well as a customer.
Great stock. Board members include William H. Gates Sr. & Charlie Munger.

I think management actually listens to them, too.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:15 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Its true. The costco executive rebate is mutually exclusive of any credit card bennies you receive.

I'm getting 2% costco rebate and 1% on the basic crappy amex rewards card that used to pay 5% on gas but only pays 2% now.

Which card do you have that pays 1.5% plus on ordinary purchases?

One thing to note is that many rewards cards, including the particular amex I have, have a cap on the amount of rewards you can receive in a year. I think mine caps at $350. The costco amex product has no caps.

As a nice side benefit, I gave my dad the second "spouse" card you're entitled to for free with your membership. So I'm getting 2% back for all the stuff he buys as well and he does most of his shopping there. He gets a free membership and free lunch at my house 2-3 times a week.
CFB - thanks for the info - that's great to know...whatta ya know, those crazy scanner kids were telling the truth! I still need to figure out if it's worthwhile, I spend around 2-4K @ Costco each year, which is just at the cutoff.

I have the AmEx Platinum Cash Rebate card - it's tops off at 1.5% cash back on all purchases after your first $5K with no cap that I'm aware of (I got just under $400 last year). No annual fee, and the 'Platinum' in the name has nothing to do with the primary AmEx Platinum Card (as in pretty much anyone can get this card)
Old 07-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm...who issued the card and is it still available? My citibank issued amex rewards card only pays 1% and it seems they dont even offer it anymore, and the costco cash rewards card from amex also says 1%. And the one I have is capped at (IIRC) $350 a year and I hit that by about april or may.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CFB,

You might get the PenFed Visa card. It pays 5% on gas and 1.25% on all other purchases. The payment is in the form of a credit on your monthly statement for purchases in that payment, so it's a real no muss, no fuss, kind of card. I don't think there are any caps, but I only use mine for gas so I get about $5 back per month.

It sounds like the card skyline mentions is a tiered rewards card, which can make sense if you spend up through the tiers every year quickly.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:25 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I'd love to, but costco only accepts american express.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:41 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hmmm...who issued the card and is it still available? My citibank issued amex rewards card only pays 1% and it seems they dont even offer it anymore, and the costco cash rewards card from amex also says 1%. And the one I have is capped at (IIRC) $350 a year and I hit that by about april or may.
It's a plain old AmEx issued card, but one that doesn't appear to be open for new applicants...it's still on their website, but I was surprised to see that it doesn't appear as an option when applying for a new card:

https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...ype=intProduct
Old 07-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Thats the same formula that discover card used for their sams club rewards card. I did the math on it then and unless you spent a lot more than 15k a year you'd do better with a flat rate 1%/1.25% card.

I dont have my math brain with me today, so that may not be the case any longer.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

CFB, thanks for posting about the Costco limited-time free membership. I bought a George Foreman G-5 grill that Costco had as a special sale item. Shipping was free/included and fast.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

The only caveat with the Costco AMEX and the Costco Executive membership is that both rewards have to be spent at Costco.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:56 PM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

I was able to take the AMEX rebate to Costco and they gave me cash. The Executive Costco rebate is only usable at Costco