Join Early Retirement Today

Shopping for a laptop
Old 12-26-2006, 07:57 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Shopping for a laptop

Anything obviously a problem with this one: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11173190&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N= 4017753&Mo=5&pos=6&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=29 722&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&ec=&topnav=

This machine will be a workhorse that will occasionally be dragged around, but mostly will be sitting on a table in the house.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Shopping for a laptop
Old 12-26-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Native screen resolution of 1280 x 800 seems miniscule to me for a 15" laptop. I like the finer pitch and more screen real estate afforded by the 1400 x 1050 that I am using with this 14" laptop that I am typing on now.

Also MSWorks is not the same as MSOffice. I would need to have XP Pro and MS Office with powerpoint for the kids.

Our company no longer buys Toshiba because it could not get them repaired in a reasonable amount of time (it took a couple of months).

I promised my daughter a laptop, so I am shopping now. We've had good luck with Dells at home and at work, so that is probably the way we will go.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:46 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

check out Lenovo - they make IBM laptops - I've had one for 7 months - works great - good price
Old 12-26-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
check out Lenovo - they make IBM laptops - I've had one for 7 months - works great - good price
Brewer, I've been "through" almost 10 notebook computers in my short working career.

Never again will I buy another one that isn't an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad. My current machine is 3 years old, is still very quick, durable, nice screen, and although I have never needed it I hear that their service is great.

Sadly I know how aweful the service is on Dells, Toshiba, and Compaq. :

Old 12-26-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
Brewer, I've been "through" almost 10 notebook computers in my short working career.

Never again will I buy another one that isn't an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad. My current machine is 3 years old, is still very quick, durable, nice screen, and although I have never needed it I hear that their service is great.

I've had good experiences with Dell's products. I will never, ever buy a Compaq or HP after having multiple machines of that make blow up at various workplaces. I've had a good experience with a Toshiba. IBM/Lenovo have a good reputation but the machines are significantly more expensive. So I think it will either Dell or Tosiba. I think the Toshiba linked above mght suit our needs. Don't want to buy too much machine for something taht will be mostly a web appliance.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9

I've also had experience with a lot of brands of Laptops. My most reliable has been Sony!
Old 12-26-2006, 09:11 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Too rich for my blood - Bought DW a Lenovo with the same basic machine ( except for less Ram and smaller HD) for 650 after rebate - it's quick and very useable.

Got it off the shelf at Office Depot - Staples also usually stocks Lenovo

Good shopping!

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:11 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Anything obviously a problem with this one: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11173190&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N= 4017753&Mo=5&pos=6&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=29 722&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&ec=&topnav=

This machine will be a workhorse that will occasionally be dragged around, but mostly will be sitting on a table in the house.
The only obvious problem I see is that it's too expensive for a 1.66 GHz proc and 15" screen. You can get a 2GHz proc and 17" screen for that if you shop around a bit more.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:47 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!

Also MSWorks is not the same as MSOffice. I would need to have XP Pro and MS Office with powerpoint for the kids.
Try Open Office

http://www.openoffice.org/

It's free. I've been using it for several months and so far it has handled all MS Office files without a problem. I have a Dell Desktop and three Dell laptops and haven't had a problem (knock on wood).
Old 12-26-2006, 10:30 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had better luck with Dell than with Toshiba recently (key tops kept coming off on one and the touch pad went out on another) but these are all really more or less commodities at this point and any reputable company using decent components can screw one together.

You would need more than this if you were a game player, but I am guessing that isn't your main interest and this will certainly work for a business system. The only thing I can think of that you might want to check is whether or not there is a docking station or port replicator available for this. That's not necessary, but it is convenient if you want to add peripherals, especially if the system moves frequently.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:16 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I got a lot more bang for my buck by buying a refurbished. Mine is indistinguishable from new.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
If you're looking for a portable desktop replacement, I'd recommend going with a 17" notebook instead of the 15.4. Something like the Dell E1705 is a great DTR.

You'll get a strong/light Magnesium alloy case instead of the plastic cases you'll find on most 15-inchers.

You'll get better cooling (two fans instead of one, and very quiet).

You'll get *much* better sound with the integrated subwoofer.

You'll get more screen real estate (especially if you get the WUXGA resolution).

You'll get more I/O ports, including a DVI port which is much better for driving external displays with DVI (and HDMI) connectors.

In any case, follow T-Al's advice and check out Dell's outlet (and existing coupons for new machines) before you buy.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:43 PM   #13

when my 4-year-old hp desktop pentium 4 died a few weeks ago i replaced it with a 17" laptop (big screen for use on desk, laptop so i can take it on roadtrips).

i got the toshiba satellite p105-s6104 & upgraded the ram. http://tinyurl.com/y4fdnc

so far i like it. and i'm surprised at how much faster it is than the dead one.

edit: just checked price at compusa. looks like they dropped it $50 from when i bought. looks like i'm getting a walk-in rebate thanx brewer

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:07 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Deal Alert! Sony laptop $750 after rebate, Core Duo Processors T2050 (thanks, TH), 1 GB Ram, 80 GB HD, Film reader, wireless adapter, 15.4" Screen

Free Shipping at Office Depot

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...=y&keyword1=od

JohnP
(BTW, I'm retired, never worked for OD or know anyone who works there - just looking for the best deals)
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #15

My experience seems to be consistant with others - very bad experience with Compaq, very good experience with Sony.

I bought the lightest, fastest VIAO available about 3 years ago - and it is still serving me well. If you don't plan to carry it around much it may not be worth the investment, but after hauling the brick that was my Compaq for a couple years, my right shoulder was about an inch lower than the left. The Sony fits in such a small case no one even knows it is a laptop.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:54 PM   #16

Just some thoughts on brand loyalty for laptops:

Unlike, say, car companies, most laptop companies these days are simply marketing companies. They don't make any of the products they sell.

Even Lenovo, who used to be the ODM for IBM, are now using the same Taiwanese ODMs as the other guys.

You've probably never heard of the major laptop manufacturers. Names like Compal, Quanta, and Wistron.

And the components of the laptops also come from several different vendors. For example, the LCD for a given model might come from LG Philips, Samsung, Sharp, AUO, etc. You can't even generalize about the quality of a single *model* of laptop, much less about a brand of laptop.

Of course, some brands do have some proprietary intellectual property they use. For example, some of Sony's laptops use a two-lamp system in their 17-inch notebooks to make them brighter. IBM/Lenovo have the trackpoint. Stuff like that.

Before you buy online, try to get your hands on the exact model. Even then, the model you end up receiving may have lots of variation at the component level from the one you demoed in person.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:58 PM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

Unlike, say, car companies, most laptop companies these days are simply marketing companies. They don't make any of the products they sell.

Even Lenovo, who used to be the ODM for IBM, are now using the same Taiwanese ODMs as the other guys.

You've probably never heard of the major laptop manufacturers. Names like Compal, Quanta, and Wistron.

Does that apply to Dell ?
Old 12-27-2006, 02:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMAN
Oh, yeah. Dell basically pioneered the computer company outsourcing model. I think they still assemble desktops in the US, but laptops are 100% outsourced.

Edit: oops, correction. Dell does use the same ODM's as the other guys for laptop design and manufacturing, but it looks like they still do final assembly themselves at company-owned off-shore plants in Malaysia and Ireland.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMAN
Doing some Googling I found this from an article dated June of 2001.

Component Sourcing

Dellís main suppliers come from the same group as those of other PC makers, e.g., Intel for
microprocessors; Seagate, Quantum, Maxtor and IBM for hard drives; Samsung, Toshiba and
Micron for DRAM; Sony, Phillips, Nokia, Samsung and Acer for monitors; contract
manufacturers (CMs) such as SCI and Solectron for printed circuit board assemblies; Hon Hai
for box builds and connectors; and a variety of Taiwanese original equipment manufacturers
(OEMs) for other components and contract manufacturing.

Dellís lower-end notebook computers are manufactured entirely by Taiwanese suppliers (mainly Quanta and Arima), whereas only the base units of higher-end notebooks are outsourced as Dell now does final
configuration itself.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:29 PM   #20

I used to work for Intel and I worked at a site where we had a small manufacturing operation building mostly servers, but we did do 1 desktop as I remember.

Anyway, to make a long story short, they would build the computers and at the last station on line 1 they would slap on a HP sticker and line 2 would be an IBM sticker, etc. It was the exact same machine built with parts shipped in from overseas. Only difference was the company sticker on it.