Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We bought a front loader and two years later the motor went out. We found out that they don't last very long and nearly all repairs require the whole washer to be taken apart as a unit. Just about any repair starts at $650-$800. On the advice of several repairmen, we went back and bought and old style top loader with agitator for $600. We find that it is getting our clothes much cleaner than the HE machine did. Plus repairs will be much easier and less expensive.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Ah, it's that time again!

Consider a Staber washing machine. It loads through the top, but functions like a front loader (i.e. it has a horizontal spin axis). Uses little water, gets the clothes very clean, and doesn't beat them up with an agitator.

It's not perfect (I've had to replace bearings in mine now), but everything in the machine is designed the easily serviced and replaced if necessary. Here's a link to my previous (long) writeup on the machine.

No flashy LCD displays, no beautiful cabinet colors. No chrome at all. It just washes clothes efficiently, is built strong, and is designed to be fixed easily when something breaks.
Can you update us on the bearing replacement? Cost? Easy DIY? Time to get parts?

thanks -ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

We bought the Maytag industrial top loading washer ....love, love, love it! It is a beast of a machine and clothes come out fantastic.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

We thought we were going to have to buy a washer a few months ago so I began research, but I fixed the old one after all for $23 (YIPEE). I was planning on a no-agitator top loader.

Hopefully you've checked out the latest Consumer Reports, performance and reliability don't necessarily go hand in hand. If you believe CR (I generally do), some of the big names are low on reliability.

One of DW's girlfriends bought a top of the line LG front load washer. It had a few minor problems in the first year and then died altogether after a little more than a year. The service folks told her it could not be repaired for less than the cost of a new one. Needless to say, she was furious... Only one data point, so FWIW.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets

Check out SpeedQueen. They have top load models with 'old' style controls. In my investigations, they had a lot fewer negative reviews than any of the newer HE washers. Not exactly inexpensive, I feel it was worth the money. The wife was skeptical at first (who buys a SpeedQueen!!?) but really loves it now. If you like the familiarity of washing machines from just before the HE rules took effect, you will probably like these. I ordered online and got free shipping. Local dealers are hard to find.

zip605
Zip605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #26

Here's my experience with HE machines: fantastic! Both the washer and dryer, and I have had them for a year.

For now, I wouldn't consider an "American" brand name, GE, Whirlpool, Maytag, etc. They just do not understand the technology: washing machine parts with electronic controls. There are too many reports of failures from these brands.

Do consider either Samsung or LG. Both get excellent reviews. For in depth reviews, I suggest visiting Amazon and Lowe's. Lowe's gets a feed of reviews from the manufacturers. Amazon gets quite a bit of conversation between users.

I bought a Samsung pair at Lowe's. They do the install and if you feel uncomfortable, a 3-year warrenty extension is very reasonable, and completely serviced by Lowe's techs.

The smell many report comes from the gasket on the front loader. Samsung recommends taking a towel and wiping the inside of the gasket after you have finished washing. Then leaving the door open for 24 hours. I don't do laundry every day, but do find that wiping down, including the tray that holds the soap has eliminated any opportunity for mold. After 24 hours or so, I just close the door. But in Seattle, we don't have nearly as many opportunities for mold or mildew as humidity is lower.

The soap is expensive, when you compare similar weight for non-HE detergent. HOWEVER, you don't use nearly as much. Compare the number of loads on the bottle, as they do differ between brands. The salesman at Lowe's suggested using the detergent manufacturer recommendation and reducing it by half, as that is just as effective. That's what I have been doing and I am satisfied with the result. YMMV.

Yes, wash times are longer, but it is my observation that a good 5-10 minutes at the beginning of the cycle is simply turning the drum to get all the clothes wet before beginning the wash. There isn't much water in the tub, so it will take a little longer. The spin cycle does get the clothes are very dry, and the companion dryer has a sensor and will shorten the cycle time if the clothes are dry.

Finally, I will say that these machines are bigger than the standard washer/dryer pair I bought 15 years ago. They are taller (even without the pedestal), deeper, and the washer is heavier than my old Amana. But they do such a better job.

-- Rita
Old 06-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Here's my experience with HE machines: fantastic! Both the washer and dryer, and I have had them for a year.

For now, I wouldn't consider an "American" brand name, GE, Whirlpool, Maytag, etc. They just do not understand the technology: washing machine parts with electronic controls. There are too many reports of failures from these brands.

Do consider either Samsung or LG. Both get excellent reviews. For in depth reviews, I suggest visiting Amazon and Lowe's. Lowe's gets a feed of reviews from the manufacturers. Amazon gets quite a bit of conversation between users.
I'd do a little more research. Again, based on my CR research a few months ago, performance (washing capability) and reliability don't necessarily go hand in hand. I read up at the local library, otherwise I'd post more information (I don't have CR at home).

958 Complaints and Reviews about LG Washing Machines

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #28

I really miss the old washers. If I was in a hurry and had something (usually sweaty stuff) that I wanted to get a very quick wash......just slap it in and let it agitate for a couple of minutes and then manually move the knob to shorten the cycle. Can't even think of doing that now. About 55 minutes is the shortest cycle on ours (top loader). After living in the UK for years.....pretty much only side loaders and they can take forever to wash. I really wonder how much water these new ones save. 30 seconds with my sprinklers on probably use more water than a years worth in laundry use.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #29

Looking at the water savings, I'm now also considering a front loader. I found a good price on an LG that is carried at Sears, HHGregg, Lowes, Home Depot and Best Buy. I started reading reviews and found that while many people love the model, plenty of others say it's been a nightmare. The complaints are about repairs in the first year, clothes that don't get clean and the typical front loader smell.

I clean my dryer lint filter after every load so getting used to wiping out the washer gasket and leaving the door open would be easy to accommodate. But I have no sense of smell and DH freaks out over musty and mildew smells.

I sure would love to save on utility costs, just not sure it's worth the problems I'm reading in some of these reviews.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #30

I'm not as worried about water savings, since we use the gray water in the garden. (We use an eco friendly detergent.) We have a top loader. It broke a few years back - and DH fixed it for about $20. I love top loaders because you can interrupt a cycle to add items you might have forgotten, etc. It's going on 10 years old and still super reliable.

In our rental unit we have stacked front loaders. They take longer to cycle through, but our various "tenants" (in-laws, bff's parents, aunt) all like it. We chose those because of the stackability.... it's a small space.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #31

We have a GE front loader and a matching dryer that came with the condo when we bought it. The problem is they're on a second floor laundry room and the vibration of the front load washer is excessive and transfers all the way to the basement at times.

I have tried every shock absorbing pads on the market but the problem is still there. The units are three years old but we are looking to replace the washer with a new Samsung top loader that was rated high on CR reliability and vibration suppression.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Looking at the water savings, I'm now also considering a front loader. I found a good price on an LG that is carried at Sears, HHGregg, Lowes, Home Depot and Best Buy. I started reading reviews and found that while many people love the model, plenty of others say it's been a nightmare. The complaints are about repairs in the first year, clothes that don't get clean and the typical front loader smell.

I clean my dryer lint filter after every load so getting used to wiping out the washer gasket and leaving the door open would be easy to accommodate. But I have no sense of smell and DH freaks out over musty and mildew smells.

I sure would love to save on utility costs, just not sure it's worth the problems I'm reading in some of these reviews.
The problem about online reviews of anything is that people who are dissatisfied are far, far more likely to post than those who are satisfied. We have a Kenmore HE front loader than we got about 7 years ago (both washing machine and dryer) and have had zero problems. No bad smell at all, no repairs, very clear clothes, etc. Yet, I haven't posted on any online forum because it just isn't that important to me to do so. On the other hand, those who have issues are far more likely to post.

I've noticed this on just about every product review page I've ever looked at. I was buying a new printer/scanner awhile back and literally every one I looked at seemed to have so many people saying horrible things. I finally picked one and it has been just fine.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

I bought my GE toploader washer and matching gas dryer 11 years ago, when I moved into my present house. The ones I bought claimed to handle large loads and the price was definitely right. Those were my two main criteria at the time.

They have performed flawlessly all this time, and I dread the day one breaks.

One thing that Consumer Reports does not seem to include in their evaluations and discussions, that is a Big Deal to me, is the volume of the "done" buzzer or bell and if that volume is easily user-adjustable. Surely any members who are easily startled, as I am, and whose laundry room is inside and close to their living areas can relate! I have heard that the front loaders have pretty chimes instead of a buzzer, and I find that to be VERY appealing.

Leaving the door of a front loader open to avoid foul smells, not so much.

My Japanese rice cooker plays a song when it is done, and I always hear it even though it isn't loud and obnoxious. I am hoping to get one with a "done" signal that sounds like that next time, or if not then at least one with a buzzer volume adjustment knob.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip605 View Post
Check out SpeedQueen. They have top load models with 'old' style controls. In my investigations, they had a lot fewer negative reviews than any of the newer HE washers.
If I ever give up on my Staber, I'd check out the brands/models being used in laundromats (Speed Queen included). These machines see a lot of use and the owners of laundromats place a high priority on water use, reliability of the machine, and the ability to fix them easily. The owners of laundromats talk to each other and the manufacturers of these industrial-quality washers have a strong vested interest in continuing to make solid machines to keep their business.

For those wanting the ability to add items during the cycle, you can do that with the Staber. Open the lid, the drum stops, open the hatch into the horizontal drum, add your items, close everything up and it continues the cycle. The timer is mechanical (yippee! Cheap, easily replaced, not subject to voltage spike burnout, and you can "jump ahead" in the cycle if you want).

A very exciting Staber washing machine video!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
The problem about online reviews of anything is that people who are dissatisfied are far, far more likely to post than those who are satisfied.
+1. A case of no reviews is good reviews!
Old 06-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I love the way my Kenmore HE2 front loader operates, especially the way it spins clothes almost dry. I hate the way the CPU died just out of warranty and listed for $250. I found a used CPU on eBay for $70 and it is working fine now. If I was buying a new front loader, as much as I hate extended warranties, I think I'd buy one and stick it to them.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #37

We have an LG front loader and the first couple of times that we used it, it had a small leak. I talked to customer service who suggested that I may be using too much of the detergent. We reduced the detergent and we don't have any leaks anymore. Because of the HE detergent, you have to use less of it as compared to the regular detergent that we were used to.

I can not quantify the savings in electricity or water, but the wash comes out with less water and so they dries quicker.

The washer also has the provision to hold the door partly open in between washes and we did not experience moldy smells.

The pedestal is optional and we don't have any.

We are very happy with this LG washer and the matching dryer.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
If I was buying a new front loader, as much as I hate extended warranties, I think I'd buy one and stick it to them.
That's what I did--I even bought it after-the-fact.
Extended Warranty for Front Load Washer

That impractical-to-fix front loader is what drove me to research alternatives, and to assure the next machine I bought was engineered for simple maintenance.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I did the washer dance back in 2009. Everyone told me how great front loaders were. Paid 1200 for a new one and had it delivered. Did 3 loads of clothes. Did not like that icky water stayed in the seal. Did not like that with all the supposed options, it basically was preprogrammed so I didnt get to choose each option like I wanted. I called and demanded they remove that thing from my house immediately. Bought a Black Friday online special for a top loading Maytag. Washes like a dream, got a $75 gift card because they couldnt deliver it immediately due to volume demand. Rockn'roll baby. Rocknroll.
haloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
That's what I did--I even bought it after-the-fact.
Extended Warranty for Front Load Washer

That impractical-to-fix front loader is what drove me to research alternatives, and to assure the next machine I bought was engineered for simple maintenance.
I'd love to know if you can still do this - seems like a huge loophole.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote