Shopping for Food - Where? Why? Coupons?

Shop-Rite and local fresh food store
Costco for staples (fresh stuff at our local Costco is awful).

No coupons, most of the coupons available are for unhealthy food only.

I'm in Austin and pretty much grocery shop exclusively between HEB and Walmart.

HEB for produce because I don't believe Walmart's distribution system allows them to move produce fast enough - it always seems like it's several days past fresh in the store - and it also seems like I'm buying less and less at Walmart because they are no longer price competitive. It's pretty much down to paper towels, toilet paper, and soft drinks from Walmart and HEB for everything else.

HEB also has some really good in-store coupon deals and what they call "Texas Showdowns" where if you buy the name brand you get their equivalent store brand for free.

Was in Dallas last week and picked up groceries at a local Tom Thumb - was shocked at how much higher their prices were on the same items I normally buy.

I remember years ago when Minyards and Walmart partnered up on groceries when Walmart first tested the concept in the Dallas area. Minyards pretty much taught Walmart everything they knew about groceries, then Walmart proceeded to stomp them out of their own market. Now Minyards is nothing but a tiny local grocer in north Texas. I think now, a few decades later, Walmart is losing it's edge on something that they've pinned a major portion of their business on.

Just read an article this morning on how Target is now cheaper than Walmart.

I just reread all the posts because I am marveled at the different stores where everyone shops. In the past, living in various states, I was used to shopping at places I don't see in Florida. At least in this area. As I remember there was Kroger, Giant Eagle, Family Foods, Food Lion, Safeway, Kash and Karry, etc. I never heard of Whole Foods, HEB, Stop and Shop, Trader Joes, Fry's, etc. These days we shop at Publix which is the premium grocery store in the area, probably all of Florida. Also, we use WalMart, Winn Dixie, Sweet Bay, Costco and Sam's Club. We also have Aldi's which just moved into the area but is too far away to make a special trip. Food Lion was run out of Florida some years back after a big story on 20/20 about repackaging and remarking meats. Albertson's just disappeared a couple years ago. I avoid places like Save A Lot and Aldi's for that matter where you have to bring your own bags and put a quarter in a machine to use one of their shopping carts.

Last edited:
I've been shopping at a local chain (Marcs), Walmart and Aldi.

Our Walmart was one of the old ones without groceries. Since about March it's been undergoing an expansion and conversion into a SuperWalmart that will have the full selection of groceries. The transition has been torture. Every time I go in there, departments (or sections of a department) have been moved, sometimes more than once. If you are lucky you can find an employee who can give you a clue where to look.

The parking lot was so "re-organized" that you had to drive through another shopping center and come into Walmart through a side entrance.

The small grocery section that they used to have moved twice and ended up at the far end of the store where the shelving system never made sense and where staples like cereal and ketchup could be found in multiple sections, but certainly not where you found it on your last visit. Many shelves are just left empty.

I was there today and the reorganization as now starting to make sense and feel familiar. The new entrance is open and the parking lot has new entrances and exits, all the spaces are open. It's finally coming together and should be finished by October.

The checkout cashier always asks, "Did you find everything you needed today?" and a couple times I just said, "You've got to be kidding. This place is a 'special' kind of torture!" It must have been just as difficult for them as it was for us. This store is open 24 hours a day. How do you co-ordinate an expansion and rearrange departments when you never close?

I'll be glad when it's all complete.

Usually make a trip to Aldi first for some items. For some reason they have Fage Greek yogurt (at a good price) and I eat this daily so am always stocking up. Also some produce and staples (mustard, salsa, chicken broth, etc).

Then go to local big-box store Cub for everything else. They have a pretty good organics section. I buy things like free range/organic eggs, quinoa, etc.

Target once/month for cat food: they have the best price on that brand of kitty-crack, Fancy Feast--the only thing my spoiled cats will eat.

I don't eat a lot of meat. But if so I get local chicken and grass fed beef from a near by rival to Whole Foods, Mississippi Market.

Back
Top Bottom