Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Aldi mostly now. Food Lion for quick stuff or sales since it is 5 minutes walking or by car. Neighborhood Asian groceries for rice and asian veggies and can/jar/dry good staples.

Walmart for groceries sometimes. Usually we get groceries there if we are going there for RX and other non-food stuff (paper goods, toiletries, cosmetics, medicine, etc). Used to go here all the time but Aldi's has mostly replaced them for fresh food and most staples, so walmart is an every other week or every 3 weeks trip.

Coupons - rarely, but i pay close attention to sales by skimming the Food lion and Aldi salespaper weekly. Aldi usually beats name brand plus a coupon anyway and it is quick and convenient due to small size.

Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (4, 10, and 11).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...
No HEB nor Aldi in our state. Within a few miles of my home are Costco, Safeway, Fry's, Albersons, Basha's (a local chain), Fresh-n-Easy, Sprouts, and Trader Joe's. We go to them all, whoever has what we need on sale that week. Sometimes, we just want to visit a different store, just for the heck of it to see if it has anything different.

For produce and bulk dry food (nuts, almond, sunflower seeds, etc...), we like to go to Sprouts. We also go to a local Hispanic chain as they have excellent prices on some produce and fruits. My recent favorite deal there is avocados on sale at 5 for $1. These are a bit small, about the size of a goose egg. This turns out to be perfect for one serving, as I eat one a day. No left over, nothing to store.

PS. There's a type of avocado that has a very small stone that's about the size of an egg yolk. So, the avocado has a lot of meat despite its small size. I am becoming an avocado addict!

"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
What is HEB? Is it an abbreviation for a name?

Mike D.
Abbreviation as ReWahoo pointed out. It is a regional grocery chain covering maybe 2/3 of TX and some of northern Mexico. They never expanded beyond that, but they tend to dominate their local markets. None of the other national chains - Safeway, Krogers, Albertsons, Randalls etc. have been able to "win" in their area.

It's a private company and they run a really outstanding grocery store. They even went head-to-head with Whole Foods in their "backyard" (Central Texas), developing their Central Market chain of upscale grocery stores. Then they turned around and introduced the best ideas from their Central Market model to their regular grocery stores. They also have a lot of food lines (especially the Central Market line) that are top quality as well. I'm a big fan.

Whole Foods is also a Texas chain, headquartered in Austin. HEB is headquartered in San Antonio.
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I go to United Supermarkets or their Market Street stores. It's a big West Tx chain now making its way into the metroplex. Sometimes I go to Sprouts, but they don't have things like cat litter, so mostly I stick to the United stores.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
Few grocery store choices in our area. I have subscribed to for three years and truly believe it saves us i just really enjoy it.

We eat quasi-vegan. We use the farmers' market, Kroger (we do have a new huge new Kroger with the jewelry store, cupcake stand, etc )...and Whole Foods when we make it into Little Rock (2-3 times a month).

I cook much more since retiring. One meal a day is always a salad...makes me feel so sanctimonious, lol. This also means more trips to store for greens. Course, i have time now!
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
Shop-Rite and local fresh food store
Costco for staples (fresh stuff at our local Costco is awful).

No coupons, most of the coupons available are for unhealthy food only.
noelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #27
gone traveling
I'm in Austin and pretty much grocery shop exclusively between HEB and Walmart.

HEB for produce because I don't believe Walmart's distribution system allows them to move produce fast enough - it always seems like it's several days past fresh in the store - and it also seems like I'm buying less and less at Walmart because they are no longer price competitive. It's pretty much down to paper towels, toilet paper, and soft drinks from Walmart and HEB for everything else.

HEB also has some really good in-store coupon deals and what they call "Texas Showdowns" where if you buy the name brand you get their equivalent store brand for free.

Was in Dallas last week and picked up groceries at a local Tom Thumb - was shocked at how much higher their prices were on the same items I normally buy.

I remember years ago when Minyards and Walmart partnered up on groceries when Walmart first tested the concept in the Dallas area. Minyards pretty much taught Walmart everything they knew about groceries, then Walmart proceeded to stomp them out of their own market. Now Minyards is nothing but a tiny local grocer in north Texas. I think now, a few decades later, Walmart is losing it's edge on something that they've pinned a major portion of their business on.

Just read an article this morning on how Target is now cheaper than Walmart.
LakeTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #28
I just reread all the posts because I am marveled at the different stores where everyone shops. In the past, living in various states, I was used to shopping at places I don't see in Florida. At least in this area. As I remember there was Kroger, Giant Eagle, Family Foods, Food Lion, Safeway, Kash and Karry, etc. I never heard of Whole Foods, HEB, Stop and Shop, Trader Joes, Fry's, etc. These days we shop at Publix which is the premium grocery store in the area, probably all of Florida. Also, we use WalMart, Winn Dixie, Sweet Bay, Costco and Sam's Club. We also have Aldi's which just moved into the area but is too far away to make a special trip. Food Lion was run out of Florida some years back after a big story on 20/20 about repackaging and remarking meats. Albertson's just disappeared a couple years ago. I avoid places like Save A Lot and Aldi's for that matter where you have to bring your own bags and put a quarter in a machine to use one of their shopping carts.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #29
I've been shopping at a local chain (Marcs), Walmart and Aldi.

Our Walmart was one of the old ones without groceries. Since about March it's been undergoing an expansion and conversion into a SuperWalmart that will have the full selection of groceries. The transition has been torture. Every time I go in there, departments (or sections of a department) have been moved, sometimes more than once. If you are lucky you can find an employee who can give you a clue where to look.

The parking lot was so "re-organized" that you had to drive through another shopping center and come into Walmart through a side entrance.

The small grocery section that they used to have moved twice and ended up at the far end of the store where the shelving system never made sense and where staples like cereal and ketchup could be found in multiple sections, but certainly not where you found it on your last visit. Many shelves are just left empty.

I was there today and the reorganization as now starting to make sense and feel familiar. The new entrance is open and the parking lot has new entrances and exits, all the spaces are open. It's finally coming together and should be finished by October.

The checkout cashier always asks, "Did you find everything you needed today?" and a couple times I just said, "You've got to be kidding. This place is a 'special' kind of torture!" It must have been just as difficult for them as it was for us. This store is open 24 hours a day. How do you co-ordinate an expansion and rearrange departments when you never close?

I'll be glad when it's all complete.
Married, both 61. DH retired June, 2010. I have a pleasant little part time job.
Sue J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:41 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.
Usually make a trip to Aldi first for some items. For some reason they have Fage Greek yogurt (at a good price) and I eat this daily so am always stocking up. Also some produce and staples (mustard, salsa, chicken broth, etc).

Then go to local big-box store Cub for everything else. They have a pretty good organics section. I buy things like free range/organic eggs, quinoa, etc.

Target once/month for cat food: they have the best price on that brand of kitty-crack, Fancy Feast--the only thing my spoiled cats will eat.

I don't eat a lot of meat. But if so I get local chicken and grass fed beef from a near by rival to Whole Foods, Mississippi Market.

Marita40 is online now   Reply With Quote