Join Early Retirement Today

Re: "Shopping" or "Errands"
Old 06-29-2006, 12:42 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
i never cared much for either shopping or errands. i'm too cheap for one and too lazy for the other.
Ditto . . . . And I am female. Agree with Outtahere. Also, like OAP, I will sometimes shop at the thrift stores for some great bargains. I remember standing in the checkout line at either Goodwill or ValueVillage one day; this classy looking, well-dressed lady next to me was purchasing a beautiful all wool Navy Blue Blazer that looked brand new. She told the clerk she had been looking for one just like it all day at the more upscale stores like Nordstrom and Bon's but couldn't find one that suited her. And here she found exactly what she wanted in her size for a ridiculously low price. I wonder how many millionnaires shop at these places. Probably more than we think.

My mother always bought new stuff at the usual department stores downtown or at the malls. One day, I brought her into one of these Thrift stores. I could tell she was rather uncomfortable there because I think she would've been embarrassed if someone that she knew saw her shopping there. She did buy one item of clothing but seemed anxious to leave right away.

Toejam

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2006, 01:23 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejam
I remember standing in the checkout line at either Goodwill or ValueVillage one day; this classy looking, well-dressed lady next to me was purchasing a beautiful all wool Navy Blue Blazer that looked brand new.* She told the clerk she had been looking for one just like it all day at the more upscale stores like Nordstrom and Bon's but couldn't find one that suited her.* And here she found exactly what she wanted in her size for a ridiculously low price. I wonder how many millionnaires shop at these places.* Probably more than we think.
Last year we watched a woman at Goodwill buying a Lladro figurine-- about a foot high-- for $15.

We found it on the Internet for $125.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:39 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I really don't have the patience to go shopping for hours.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:39 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't shop for clothes at the goodwill or thrift store because I'm afraid I'd be buying back some of my own stuff, with all I donate to them it's bound to happen LOL. But I do buy glassware and other items that I can sell on Ebay although they have been pushing up their prices and it's harder to find something not chipped or damaged. I actually check there once a week along with some other thrift/junk shops.

I think you are either born with the shopping gene or not. There are some men that have that defective gene and it manifests itself in auto parts store, home depot type stores, bike shops, hobby shops and yes even yardsales BUT they're only looking for tools and useful items.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:50 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Salvation Army here isn't too bad - Goodwill is a little pricey and the selection isn't as good - two furniture items for the house and a suit for a July wedding(nephew) the last month.

Otherwise, I try to minimize shopping.

hreh heh heh heh
Old 06-29-2006, 10:42 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think you are either born with the shopping gene or not. There are some men that have that defective gene and it manifests itself in auto parts store, home depot type stores, bike shops, hobby shops and yes even yardsales BUT they're only looking for tools and useful items.

My spouse goes to flea markets and yard sales looking for old thermometers, old oil cans and old signs and paperback books.* The auction is one that deals mostly in Craftsmen Tools that have been returned to Sears.* The auto parts store is usually for his baby, 72 corvette.