Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Magnetic tape is a superior mechanism for data storage longevity, reliable from 10-50 years (as compare to recordable optical disc, reliable up to 25 years) when both are stored properly. Optical lasts long only if you're going to treat the media poorly.
Where did I leave that magnet at?:sly:
MRG

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Anyway, things are getting more complicated, take a lot of time, and still I wonder if my offsprings care about all this when I croak.

"Dust in the wind..."
Yep, there is a big difference between coming across a shoe box of 50 year old old B&W photos which are probably still in very good shape, and coming across a portable hard drive. Who knows what's on it? Is the format readable? Is it tucked away in some folder somewhere, with an xml library needed to make sense of it all.

Or it is off in the cloud somewhere, invisible unless you have an address and the password.

As people have said, the key for this kind of storage is to move it every X years, and as technology becomes obsolete, move it to the new technology. But who can rely on someone doing that?

Digital storage is amazing, but like anything, it has limitations. I guess if we think anyone will care, and the LOC is interested, they could archive and maintain it as some 'day in the life' of a random person in the US. Chances are pretty slim.

-ERD50

Old 05-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It should be noted that 50 to 60 year old color photos may well have faded to red or blue depending on the film used. The dyes do tend to fade. I have been digitizing some of my grandfathers slides, and some purchased ones using kodak color film have faded to where they are essentially black and white (from 1962).
Old 05-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
It should be noted that 50 to 60 year old color photos may well have faded to red or blue depending on the film used. The dyes do tend to fade. I have been digitizing some of my grandfathers slides, and some purchased ones using kodak color film have faded to where they are essentially black and white (from 1962).
A friend of mine bough a film scanner, (Nikon, I think), and he was super impressed with the software that came with it. He said you would enter the film type (and maybe the ~ year of manufacture/developing?), and it would scan the edges (not exposed to light before processioning) and would use that info to apply some magic aging and color correction algorithms.

But of course, if it's gone it's gone, and color is far less stable than B&W.

As a little side-track, I've always been amazed at just how good the early photographs are, and how long lasting they are. Usually, a new technology is really bad, and only improves after much further development (no pun intended). But those early photos are crisp and clear. Sure, the chemicals were very slow, so you needed lots of light and long exposures, but the results were really very, very good.

Compare that to the first audio recordings, scratchy, wow and flutter, terrible frequency response, low volume, you had to shout into them, and you could still barely make out the words. Took a long time before music sounded good enough to record.

-ERD50
Old 05-18-2014, 04:58 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Where did I leave that magnet at?:sly:
MRG
Uh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
when both are stored properly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But who can rely on someone doing that?
The same person who can rely on assuring that physical objects are stored save from flooding, ... who knows that there is a collection of silver dollars in a safe deposit box somewhere, ... that a substantial loan-against-inheritance was made to a sibling, etc.