Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Should a country tell another what to do?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:31 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
I'm pretty sure Israel posseses nuclear weapons. I'm also pretty sure that they were only able to do so with help from other countries. Is there a difference between selling and helping to make nuke?

1. I can't think of another country that needs nukes MORE than Israel (We've got your 72 virgins right here Abdul!)

2. The US did not sell them to Israel or provide the technology. You may not have noticed but there have so far been 45 nobel laureates in Physics who are Jewish along with many of the scientists who created the first nuclear weapon.

3. Powerful countries have always told those less powerful what to do. Are you happier that NK has nukes now? Personally I feel very bad for their citizens because I think that their life is only going to get harder because of this. China is going to back the sanctions because they will do anything to keep Japan from building their own stockpile.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
2. The US did not sell them to Israel or provide the technology.
What makes you so sure than the US did not supply Israel with nuclear technology ?

Old 10-10-2006, 10:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
"Pretending to be the nice guy" is an aspect of diplomacy/public diplomacy, which is another tool in a nation's kit bag. It's not really "pretending," it is just marketing and convincing. I think most would agree that this is preferable to military action, when it works.
I agree with you 100% here. But I got tired of hearing those empty, meaningless pretention.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:35 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
What makes you so sure than the US did not supply Israel with nuclear technology ?
Hmm, we'll have to check with Jonathon Pollard.

I don't care whether a country develops its own nuclear weapon technology. However I don't mind a bit cutting off my taxes our foreign aid to countries who are whining about their poverty struggles while they're building bigger centrifuges.

Of course paying nuclear greenmail to DPRK is still cheaper than the military solution. Wait a minute, would we be sending inspection teams there to look for weapons of mass destruction?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
some people on this board appear to hate the U.S. (and especially GW)
Uh-huh, equating these two things, are we ? I hate GW precisely because I love the
US and know his adminstration is probably the worst thing to happen to this country
since the War Between The States (in seems a little self-centered to call our civil war
THE Civil War).

Quote:
they might want to realistically consider what the world will look like with a nuclear Iran and NK... I'm sure GW, the right wing, Republicans, etc. will be blamed
Too bad GW didn't seriously consider what the world would look like with a nuclear
Iran and NK and *DO* something about it (and yes, he should be blamed). Instead,
he spent our military and political capital invading Iraq. By political capital, I mean
both domestically and internationally - GW has lost his credibility at home and abroad
and can not prosecute another war. Less you think I'm a pacifist, I think military
action against NK may have been a very good idea, but it's too late now - it's beyond
the point of bombing their enrichment facilities etc, they now probably have a handful
or nukes and who knows where they are and where they're going.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
As much as some people on this board appear to hate the U.S. (and especially GW), they might want to realistically consider what the world will look like with a nuclear Iran and NK. 'Course, when the explosion literally occurs, above ground and killing real human beings, I'm sure GW, the right wing, Republicans, etc. will be blamed, and it will be cause for more pacifist political football in the future ... :
Oh please. We would have been better off with escaped mental patients running our foreign policy over the last 5 years or so. Anyone but a truly brainwashed Republican toady can see that.

New slogan for the Democrats: "Get Cheney First!"

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
Well, I've never had top secret clearance so I'll never REALLY know. I only know what I can read or piece together. I've read a lot different books and articles on the subject and while most believe that the US knew what was happening, there was no exchange of parts or technology.

This is short and interesting http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Israel/Isrhist.html The only thing greater than building it 100% themselves is tricking the French into helping them!