Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-04-2016, 06:40 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It wouldn't be technically challenging to make cell phones inoperative when they are on the move. Doing that in a blanket fashion would also make it impossible for others in the car to use their phones, and it would make it impossible for drivers to use GPS on their phones in the way they do now (though there are workarounds for that). Perhaps after one conviction for texting/prohibited use of a phone in a car, a person's mobile cell account should be barred from any on-the-move data access. Their phone number is added to their drivers license, and if a cop finds a phone with any different number within their reach in a car, they are in violation of the terms of their release and go directly to the slammer.

It's quite evident when these folks are going down the road, often well under the speed limit, roaming around in their lane, and paying scarce attention to the world outside.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2016, 07:05 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

As mentioned elsewhere, my daughter was T-boned at an intersection by a teenager who ran a red light. He totaled his parents' BMW as well as my daughter's Civic. The side airbags saved my daughter, plus he hit at the rear door, not the front driver door. As both sides walked away, the police probably did not investigate further to see if he was texting. But what else could cause him to not look up to see the light AND the cars in front of him broadside? My daughter heard him admitting to the police that he did not see her car AT ALL.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:06 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd be happy if they would just start to ticket people for tailgating. Here in DFW area it just seems to get worse each year and leads to many collisions. Some of these clowns must be NASCAR wannabes.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:23 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

If they are using their phone to talk or text then locate the tallest tree and string 'em up. OK maybe that's a little too knee jerk but as far as I am concerned they are trying to kill me or my wife and family. I've had a few "accidents" and a large number of close calls due to people on cell phones. I'm tired of the inconsideration and the threat to my life. If someone were to hurt my family because of being on the phone or DUI there is a chance I would be in jail after I got hold of them. Like anything else the only time a change would be made to address the problem is when enough families of politicians/law makers are injured or killed because of distracted driving. I think I better stop now.

Cheers!
Old 07-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I live in Bergen County, NJ, a suburb of NYC. We don't have city-like traffic, but definitely a lot of cars on the road. If I look for it, I can find a texting driver every time I am on the road. At least when I'm driving, I have some metal around me.
But I also run and bike on the streets, and this issue downright scares me. There's only one bike path near me, and I use it almost all of the time. But it's only 6 miles long so for variety as well as getting in longer miles, I'm inevitably on the streets. This is a problem definitely getting worse, exponentially.

Here in the DFW, I see multiples of people staring at a phone EVERY time I'm out-and-about. Same for red light runners.

"If I had a rocket launcher, some SOB would die..."

Thankfully, Stepfordville has lots of paved bike trails.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
. I say if the cop sees em, their guilty, no need for a trial.
So much for that due process clause and all. Happy Independence Day, ya'll!
Old 07-04-2016, 09:50 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I'm tired of the inconsideration and the threat to my life.
Unfortunately, this seems to be the common theme for almost EVERYTHING these days. People have little consideration for anything other than themselves..people are VERY selfish and it makes me sad. I think if EVERYONE made a valiant effort to just NOT BE AN ASS, this world would be a much better place. I am sorry folks, it's not always about YOU.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #28

I see the texters about everytime I'm out driving, and I understand they think its harmless when in the city.
What really freaks me out is on the interstate I'm doing 75 mph and I get passed by someone doing 80-85 and he/she is head bobbing texting away.

If I was poor driving an old car, I'd just wait for a head bobber to be behind me, then I'd slam on my brakes and get rich.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #29

Require carmakers to design the passenger compartment as a Faraday cage. Do it before that Bjorn guy, the one who wants to ban cash, also starts advocating to ban smartphones.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I see the texters about everytime I'm out driving, and I understand they think its harmless when in the city.
What really freaks me out is on the interstate I'm doing 75 mph and I get passed by someone doing 80-85 and he/she is head bobbing texting away.

If I was poor driving an old car, I'd just wait for a head bobber to be behind me, then I'd slam on my brakes and get rich.
I hope you are not poor, since it seems to me you'd both be guilty and unfortunately probably take out other innocent drivers around you.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:29 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

IMHO, motorists do not have the right to be distracted. Once they have taken the responsibility to transport themselves in a machine that can easily kill vulnerable road users and others in motor vehicles, they need to pay 100% attention to their responsibility. It amazes me that there is even a discussion about this.

People who elect to eat, talk on their phone, discipline a child while driving are risking my safety and should be punished for this. My wife and children do not find this unreasonable. They would find it it unreasonable that as I lie dead at the side of the road that the driver's excuse was I was wiping the ketchup off my face and I was 2 minutes late to my hair appointment.. Never saw that biker.

Cell phones have made things worse. But this whole distracted driving problem needs to be fixed. It can certainly start with each of us by eliminating all behaviors that lead to distracted driving and obeying traffic laws, especially speed limits. Unfortunately, for those who talk about the "nanny state", I expect we will need more enforcement.

Here is how the Netherlands handles vulnerable road users:

"When art. 185 WVW is applicable, it means the motor vehicle user is liable for financial damage, unless that driver can prove the incident was caused by circumstances beyond his/her control. That will be hard, because the driver must then prove he/she drove flawless, or that his/her mistake was not the cause of the incident. If the mistake leading to the incident was made by the non-motorised road user, that mistake has to be so unlikely, that a motor vehicle user could not reasonably have considered it to happen. Failing to give way or jumping a red light (deliberately or by mistake) are not such unlikely events, they happen regularly, so drivers are not granted ‘circumstances beyond control’ very often.

Besides ‘circumstances beyond control’ the driver can also argue the non-motorised road user was at fault. This is only possible for road users from the age of 14. If that road user was indeed at fault, the driver is still liable for 50% of the damage. Dutch law makers considered this to be reasonable, because the non-motorised road user usually suffers more and more severe damage. That warrants this extra legal protection. A protection that is lost when it can be proved the non-motorised road user caused the damage on purpose, or his/her behaviour was so careless, that it can be seen as “recklessness verging on intent”.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:14 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
IMHO, motorists do not have the right to be distracted. Once they have taken the responsibility to transport themselves in a machine that can easily kill vulnerable road users and others in motor vehicles, they need to pay 100% attention to their responsibility. It amazes me that there is even a discussion about this.
+1
Replace "driver" with "pilot" and see how expectations change.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:19 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Define distracted driving, if I take a sip of coffee or water while driving then that could be distracted driving, I think the nanny state is getting carried away. Why not take all radios out of the cars and ban all conversation while driving. Oh and can I bound and gag my kids with duct tape because they can be pretty distracting sometimes?
+1

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:24 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Looks like iOS and Android users could at least block texting while driving NOW if "we" wanted to, some apps have been around since 2012! Block texting while driving with these top apps

And Apple has been/is working on the issue. Apple aims to disable texting while driving - CNET

Not unlike driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs - we ALL know better, yet we do it anyway! Should "we" look to tech companies and/or law enforcement to fix a (texting while driving) problem we could all fix ourselves? First world problems...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:50 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
... Here is how the Netherlands handles vulnerable road users:

"When art. 185 WVW is applicable, it means the motor vehicle user is liable for financial damage, unless that driver can prove the incident was caused by circumstances beyond his/her control.
That would scare people of some means. However, these people like the ER posters here who are financially independent already know to exercise self-discipline to get to this point.

So, what do you do with the violators like young adult speeders or texters? Hang them?

The whole thing is a curse of technology.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

So, what do you do with the violators like young adult speeders or texters? Hang them?

Sounds like a plan!

Cheers!
Old 07-05-2016, 03:48 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

If it were left to me, I would not have such age discrimination.

Hang them all, regardless of age.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If it were left to me, I would not have such age discrimination.

Hang them all, regardless of age.
+1

The smart ones will survive proving Darwin was correct.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:22 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
It wouldn't be technically challenging to make cell phones inoperative when they are on the move. Doing that in a blanket fashion would also make it impossible for others in the car to use their phones, and it would make it impossible for drivers to use GPS on their phones in the way they do now (though there are workarounds for that). Perhaps after one conviction for texting/prohibited use of a phone in a car, a person's mobile cell account should be barred from any on-the-move data access. Their phone number is added to their drivers license, and if a cop finds a phone with any different number within their reach in a car, they are in violation of the terms of their release and go directly to the slammer.

It's quite evident when these folks are going down the road, often well under the speed limit, roaming around in their lane, and paying scarce attention to the world outside.
This is the best solution I've seen.
It wouldn't address people shaving, applying make up, reading, etc. while driving, but it would be a damm good start.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Why not slap someone with a $10k fine if they're caught using a smart phone...kind of like what they do when you get busted for a dui.

I was driving on the highway the other day and a big billboard with a dui message: "you just blew $10,000." I thought it was great.

I would say its more excusable to drive while intoxicated than playing with a cell phone when you're sober and driving. When you're drunk a chemical is destroying your body. When you're sober and texting you're just being a &%#@ and there is no excuse. And no...I dont care if you're waiting on a call from the hospital about a family member who is on deaths door...I would rather you not kill someone else in the process of taking a call.