Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2012, 04:06 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

and I hope your recorded it.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #22
gone traveling

As an old guy, I'll just say that you have to have something in common in order to start building a relationship (if it's what you wish). It seems you do.

DW/me did that when we first met (close to a half-century ago).

IMHO, you have nothing to lose, but possibly a lot to gain.

If you haven't called her yet - why not?
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:32 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Make the call.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OK, here's the update on the phone call.

I called and got a busy signal, no call waiting?

I called back an hour later, no answer, I left a message stating I'd call back.

About an hour after that I called again and she picked up. She immediately discussed how she had to have her cat put to sleep and I listened and commented a few times how hard that is. We spoke for about 7-8 minutes just getting off the topic of pets to know she has 4 daughters and telling her where in town I live when someone was at her front door and she had to go. She said she'll call me back. I assume she has caller id as I never gave her my number. It's been almost 24 hours and no call back. That's OK but I thought she'd call by now.

Now I am a very suspicious person by nature. I wonder if she wanted me to call to get my last name, remember she asked where I live I told her the road, and is now using one of those "get a character report" services to research me! Maybe I'm paranoid but it would actually make sense to me, I mean she has no idea if I'm a saint or a dangerous critter. There are a lot of crazies out there and sometimes they are the female!

So we'll see, time will tell. I can say I'm not freaking out over this and if she doesn't call me in X days maybe that's OK. My question now is, what is the value of X and do I make another call to her if she doesn't call me in X days?

I am terrible at this, I am uncomfortable dealing with people though you wouldn't know it if you spoke to me. I make very fast evaluations and assumptions about people and I am usually correct. This has a bit of not right to it but I went along with calling her cuz you just never know and it is possible to read someone incorrectly.

Feedback?
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
Feedback?
Hit yourself in the foot with a sledgehammer. No, it won't resolve your question but it will take your mind off it and give you something else to worry about...
Old 03-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hit yourself in the foot with a sledgehammer. No, it won't resolve your question but it will take your mind off it and give you something else to worry about...
Actually I did not want to say this because I did not want to interject this into the mix but your comment, comic relief acknowledged, shows how my comments can be viewed and in a manner different than I thought I stated.

Bottom line, I am not sitting on the edge of my seat wanting her to call, in fact part of me hopes she does not! I sense something odd about her when we spoke. As I mentioned, I thought she was forward but I am quite reserved. I really agonized about this before the initial post because I am comfortable being alone and living a near hermit existence. The last thing I want or would tolerate would be a blabbering clinging woman. Now I have to duck all the stuff flying through the air towards my head! I can be quite blunt, no offense meant to the ladies here but this was the easiest way to put it!
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

If someone said they would call me, I'd let them make that next move. If they didn't call...eh..."C'est la vie"

edit to add....from a semi-blabbering, non-clinging woman.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #28
Administrator

Just get on with your life. She may call, and if she does, see what happens. If she doesn't, nothing lost.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Someone at the door or her husband just walked in the room? Run forest run
Old 03-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

The drummer in my band is 65, single and better looking than Richard Gere.

BobAndAlPlay.jpg

He would like to find a girlfriend. He had gotten together a time or two with a woman who happens to live on my street, but he said that she hadn't called back, and it was her turn. So, he hadn't pursued things, figuring she wasn't interested. However, he went to see her after a rehearsal here, and things went well, and they've been seeing each other.

IOW, don't stop just because it's her turn to call you.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
.....Maybe I'm paranoid ....
Sounds like you know yourself well. just kidding.

Stop fretting. Just call her back if you are really still interested. It may be she wants to be chased a little or find out how interested you are.

Or maybe she was so focused on the doorbell that she forgot that she doesn't have your number so she can't call you back.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'd "wait" for her to call me and not expect it. Maybe both she and you ventured out of your comfort zones, with no harm done.

Thanks for sharing this adventure with us and humoring us as we weigh in with what we would do (or think we would do)!
Old 03-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I'm assuming that you don't look like this, which could be a problem:

TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm assuming that you don't look like this, which could be a problem:

O jeez, I LOL'd for a minute before I could even hit 'respond'. Too funny!

But I doubt she would have struck up a convo with him if he looked like that, and if she did, well.... maybe they are a match.

But seriously, give it a few days, then try calling her. If she really intended to give you a brush off, it should be pretty obvious. Then you are no worse off than you were - better even as at least you know and can move on. Maybe she did just get distracted, or lost the number or whatever. Never assume, and never say never.

I'm still laughing.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote