Join Early Retirement Today

Should I Have Said This?
Old 05-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Should I Have Said This?

As I was checking out at the grocery store, the pretty 20-something checker said "Oh, you got a coupon for chocolate chips -- your wife can make you some chocolate chip cookies!"

My inclination was to say (with a smile, of course) "Yeah, I'd make them myself, but my testicles would get in the way."

Instead, I decided it was better to be safe than sorry, and just said (with smile) "Men can cook too, you know."

Should I have made the joke??
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think you handled it just fine, as long as the expression on your face and your tone of voice weren't grumpy. She was just passing the time of day in a pleasant way, and (hopefully) so were you.

And no, the testicle joke would have been offensive to many, when coming from a total stranger. Women don't want to hear about a stranger's testicles!! At least, I don't.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

You could've said "I'm not married. How about I come over to your place and you can make them for me."
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Yeah! Well, his wife is away, but he forgot to remove his ring.

No, to not appear to be a male chauvinist, T-Al should not ask for the cookies to be made, but "Can you teach me how to make them?".

Or, after he said "Men can cook too, you know" to add "Would you like to come and try mine?".

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I hope she didn't call you Sir!
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Women don't want to hear about a stranger's testicles!! At least, I don't.
So you don't mind hearing about friend's testicles?
Old 05-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Some people are always eager to tell friends about their...
Oh, never mind.

PS. I saw some posts exchanged about "shrinkage" earlier.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
As I was checking out at the grocery store, the pretty 20-something checker said "Oh, you got a coupon for chocolate chips -- your wife can make you some chocolate chip cookies!"
I think she was hittin' on ya Al.....
Old 05-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

My inclination was to say (with a smile, of course) "Yeah, I'd make them myself, but my testicles would get in the way."

Instead, I decided it was better to be safe than sorry, and just said (with smile) "Men can cook too, you know."

What a wasted opportunity - why didn't you buy a bunch of wheat bread?
Old 05-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
So you don't mind hearing about friend's testicles?
Depends on how GOOD a friend we're talking about!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What a wasted opportunity - why didn't you buy a bunch of wheat bread?
...with nuts?
Old 05-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Reminds me of years ago when I bought my first house. Most of the fence posts had rotted off, and a windstorm shortly after I bought the house brought down a good deal of the back fence. So, there I was out in the backyard digging holes to set posts for a new fence. My neighbor on the other side of the fence looked over and said something to the effect of "that's man's work". If I'd been thinking fast, I'd have handed him the posthole diggers and said, "Well then, get over here and start digging!" But I had "delayed intelligence" that day, so I didn't. Anyway, the guy was probably old enough to be my father, so it's probably better that way.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #13

She probably thought you had a wife since you were using a coupon. I know that is a sexist thing to say also, but I seriously can not remember ever seeing any male member of my family, growing up or now, looking at or clipping coupons. I know that DH doesn't care if I use them, but he does not want to be bothered with them. I have seen many male member of my family bake cookies.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #14

I am the cookie chef in our house, but, when most people try them for the first time, they turn to DW and tell her how good her cookies are. She explains she does not do cookies.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
My neighbor ... said something to the effect of "that's man's work".
I think he meant that he was impressed that you were doing that yourself. The truth is that most women still don't do that.

Now, about baking, I will admit that I don't, although I cook. In fact, I can't think of any male in my and DW's sides who bake. Why not? I don't know....

Old 05-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Now, that I think of it, I'm surprised I even considered saying something like that. I guess I've been watching too much Craig Ferguson. You know it's a take-off on the old feminist line "Women can't do that because their ovaries get in the way," right?
Old 05-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

DH bakes the cookies and cakes in our family! He has even developed his own cookie recipes.

Audrey

P.S. Yes, Al, you've been watching too much Craig Ferguson!
Old 05-22-2010, 09:17 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

OK kids, now over here you can take note of the civilizing influences of the female on the male of the species. Observe what happens when the female in a long-paired couple is withdrawn for a few days...

BTW - how are you and the darking bogs doing?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:38 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Yes Al - you should have said it. It would have been great to see her response. I once needed some plumbing supplies and asked the girl sales clerk if she had half inch chrome nipples. She replied "let me check" and seemed oblivious to the (unintended) double meaning. She asked another salesperson who then led me to them.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:02 AM   #20

The most important thing is that you MELT the butter in the mirco to soften it up. Then put them on an unbuttered cookie sheet. 12 minutes on 350 (baked); 11 if convection bake.

If you don't melt the butter they'll come out FLAT (because of the butter clumps).