Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I think a nice pan of ex-lax brownies for your boss as a farewell gift would do the trick.

"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
Your ER is a positive achievement, and your last day should be a positive celebration of your success. Don't diminish this *once-in-a lifetime day* for yourself. Go out the winner you are!

Those other two aren't worth the time and negative energy. Don't let them cast a shadow on your once-in-a-lifetime, positive, successful achievement.

When you look back months or years later, you will remember your happiness and satisfaction, and be glad you exited the graceful winner you are.

Dreams Worth Dreaming are Dreams Worth Planning For. I Spent a Career Planning for Early Retirement.
RetireeRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
I would be nice.

After you retire you will look back and laugh anyway, and it just will not matter. Plus them being asses helped you to retire early.
No Soup for you! Come back 1 year!
Bigritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:48 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In my experience, expressing complaints after your exit serves no purpose. You will remember the bad feelings and all the good ones that might have been yours will have been lost.

Instead, change your thoughts now. I know it's hard but make a habit of thinking only good thoughts about these two people and you will find your own happiness increasing.

It works for me!
Oldbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #25
I had one awful principal to work for the past 6 years before I said ER and when I left he thanked me and gave me a wonderful recommendation. Go figure.

I really don't care how old you are or how far away you will be from an old jerk that was your superior, it never works burning bridges.
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:04 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
If you get the rare aggressive dedicated HR person
Those are standing behind Santa Claus and The Virgin Britney Spears
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:28 PM   #27
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
This has me wondering if you could powderize cat in a food processor..
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:39 PM   #28
Originally Posted by template View Post
I wouldn't burn any bridges at this time. Your retirement marks the end of one phase of your life and the start of a much freer, more pleasant phase.

In a year or so, after you have been away from the stressful work environment, you will have a somewhat different, milder perspective.

Besides, revenge is a dish best served cold.
I agree. And, if your FIRE plans crumble, you may get back in as a consultant. I left slightly after a very obnoxious VP. His replacement was at least OK. My attitude was screwed by predessor. Kept quiet since AH was gone and I might want a bit of consulting $. Seems I don't want it but new VP occasionally buys me lunch and asks 'how to deal with so-and so'. I'm not so bitter that a free lunch won't make me happy. If it becomes necessary, he'll be a good reference for a consulting gig. Don't burn bridges. Let the AH's crash and burn on their own.
There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate conclusions from insufficient data and ..
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:39 PM   #29
There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate conclusions from insufficient data and ..
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #30
I agree with the others here that you should exit with a smile on your face, a song in your heart and joyous thoughts about all that the future holds for you.

Your situation reminded me of an office I worked in early on in my career. The manager was a wimp of a guy who basically hid out in his office rather than deal with the dysfunctional staff of women who worked for him. Most of the dysfunction was caused by a mother and daughter team who had adjoining desks in the department. These "ladies" would speak to each other in a foreign language, commenting about everyone in the department. They made it pretty obvious -- using the individual's names, pointing and laughing, etc. Unfortunately, no one in the office spoke their language so we basically had to put up with it.

Until the day our boss had to have emergency surgery and was replaced by another manager who was bi-lingual in the same language as the "ladies." When the new manager came in, the "ladies" continued to do their critiques of the staff (and the new manager), blissfully unaware of what was about to happen.

About a week or so later, the new manager called a staff meeting and began by addressing the "ladies" in their foreign language -- what an enormous surprise! Nothing was ever said to the rest of the staff, but judging by the ladies' red faces and subsequent sudden unexplained departures, the message was pretty clear. It was really kinda cool!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #31
No. You don't want to give away the story line for your novel, The GS-10 wears Prada."
Angels danced on the day that you were born.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:36 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
I think it depends on the work place and there is no way for me to judge if a purpose would be served at your job.

I learned valuable things from exit interviews of associates who left our office.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:13 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets
I tend to agree with Martha that there's no hard rule on this.... except that I tend to see the Fed as utterly hopeless. I worked in a Fed position for four years in the mid-80's and that's where I developed my 4-year solution to the problems I found there.

1st year: Eyes wide open, identifying problems.
2nd year: Brain completely engaged putting together solutions.
3rd year: Discovering (upon presenting solutions) that no one gives a $hit and never will.
4th year: Finding another job outside the Federal Gov.

As Nord's pointed out, though, sometimes the comments of a single exit interview creates the critical mass that spurs a beneficial change. Far more often, I'm afraid, the organization already knows what you are telling them and is too "sick" to correct the problem.
Can eat with either hand.
Joss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #34
This is interesting - my husband and I were just visiting some friends who had worked with us when we were in Germany - we were telling 'war-lies' about some of the personalities we'd had to deal with - but you know the really weird part? We couldn't remember their names and had to dig deep to remember all of the transgressions. Bottom line, time had smoothed all of that out and we had moved on. You have a light at the end of the tunnel and if the people still there are unwilling to try and make changes, then they've made the decision to work in that environment - we can make our own hell. You've made the choice to change your environment to one which will hopefully make your life better. Smile and if someone asks truly why you are smiling, you can give them the philosophy above.

Enjoy and congrats on the early retirement!
Deserat aka Bridget
“We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” - George Orwell/Winston Churchill
deserat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:11 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets
Once you passed the age of 5. You can NOT be honest and truthful anymore. Once it left your mouth, it's very difficult to get it back. Just let the 2 nuts go. You will be much happier.

Btw, are they going to give to a bigger cake for telling the truth? or they just thought you're bitter and angry. So, let it go.

Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote