should I tip the carpet cleaner?

ER_Hopeful

Recycles dryer sheets
Is it the norm to tip the carpet cleaner? I usually give him $5, just wondering what others do.

I never have because the thought never occurred to me. If you want to show your appreciation for a job well done and it makes you feel good...do it. :)

As long as the worker puts forth a sincere effort, we tip them. Usually $5-20 depending on the job, the degree of difficulty, and the extras they might add but don't actually have to.

I think tipping has gotten out of hand . I recently had a new air conditioner installed and the installer was hinting for a tip . I totally ignored it . If someone was cleaning my carpets the thought of a tip would not even cross my mind and I am pretty generous .

I have never tipped either. It never occurred to me to tip.

It wouldn't have occurred to me. I'd probably offer him a soft drink (at least he can clean it up if he spills on the carpet) and let him know he's free to use the bathroom.

Also, it used to be bad form to tip the owner of a business (even if he is the bartender waiting on you). I think this distinction is no longer observed.

I usually tip folks like that if I am generally satified with thier work and the price is reasonable, but feel no obligation one way or the other. I would say half the time they are very appreciative and half the time they seem confused!

There are 2 carpet cleaning services that I use. One is a guy who owns his own truck, and the other is a well-known chain that hires employees. I don't tip the business owner, figuring that he sets his prices based on his overhead. I *sometimes* tip the employees of the chain business, if:

* they are friendly and respectful
* they are careful (we've had our walls scuffed up by sloppy carpet cleaners)
* they do a good, thorough job cleaning the carpets

I'd say we end up tipping the chain guys about 75% of the time.

Ive always felt tipping is for extra special service. Maybe if its someone I routinely get a service from I would tip. I dont get my carpets cleaned that often :) When I go get my massage thats a different story..:cool:

always show appreciation for a job well done.
my tips are usually fresh baked cookies, or garden veggies, or a sandwich if it's lunchtime, or sometimes money. depends on what is closest or seasonal.

Ive always felt tipping is for extra special service. Maybe if its someone I routinely get a service from I would tip. I dont get my carpets cleaned that often :) When I go get my massage thats a different story..:cool:

After the flip, the price goes up... :angel:

Spent a summer as a carpet cleaner about a thousand years ago. Tips were modest and very sporadic at best. It can be very strenuous work and it was always appreciated by myself and co workers when a cold juice or water was offered.

Remember, much of their work is in apartment buildings near the end of the month and businesses after hours where there is nobody around to offer a compliment on their work, so just a verbal recognition of a job well done was always enough for us to leave smiling.

just my .02 here...i have a duct cleaning company,and often receive tips. more often though,my helper gets it because they feel bad for the hourly guy...not the owner!

moreso than a tip,i would appreciate as mentioned above the offer to use restroom if needed...and when people offer a drink...both are soooo appreciated at times we will go out of our way to please you...jmho

We always offer the workers a soft-drink, but we don't see that as being a tip--it's just a natural thing to do when some body comes over to the house.

But...my wife came home yesterday (as she is wont to do) saying that the car's computer was beeping at her because one of the tires was low on air. So, she pulls into a gas station and the attendant checks all four tires and she tips him $5.00. Somehow, I thought that was excessively generous.

Learn from my mistakes. No martinis until after the carpet is cleaned.

I always tip for "extra" service. An extra $10 wll get the maids to clean the boat or the plumber to spend 15 minutes moving some heavy furniture.

I always tip for "extra" service. An extra $10 wll get the maids to clean the boat or the plumber to spend 15 minutes moving some heavy furniture.
Things must be different where you are. I don't think $10 extra to a plumber would even prompt him to wipe up the mess where he'd been working.

I usually clean my own carpets...I tip myself with a cold softdrink afterwards.

R

Things must be different where you are. I don't think $10 extra to a plumber would even prompt him to wipe up the mess where he'd been working.

Yes, business is slow here, cash is king. But I was thinking the maid could clean up the plumbers mess and for a small tip I get out of moving the furniture for the wife three times. You'd be suprised what you can negotiate with some of these guys.

A couple were discussing holiday tips for the people who cut their hair, cleaned their house, walked their dog. the list grew longer, and finally it came down to the mailman. the husband, a real cheapskate, had had enough and said
"**** the mailman, give him 2 bucks".
the next day the mailman rang the doorbell with a package. wife answered the door in a negligee and proceeded to invite him in and cook him breakfast. then she crooked her finger and invited him upstairs. yadda yadda yadda...when it was all over, she handed the mailman 2 crisp dollar bills. the guy left shaking his head.
that night at dinner, the husband asked the wife if she took care of all the tips. she went down the list, and finally got to the mailman. she told him the whole story. he got angrier and angrier...and she stammered... "oh, oh, honey, i did exactly what you said to do...but breakfast was my idea." :D

I wouldn't tip a carpet cleaner. There are a few services that are tradionally tipped, but I don't think carpet cleaning should be one of them.

As much as we on this board complain and rant about taxes (now seen as "redistribution of wealth") I would think this would be obvious. When you tip (excluding the so called "traditional" things) are you not increasing your price and therefore "redistributing the wealth" (taxing) yourself? If you want to "help" someone there are many, many, good causes that could actually use your contribution(s) to accomplish something for some needy person(s).

When you tip (excluding the so called "traditional" things) are you not increasing your price and therefore "redistributing the wealth" (taxing) yourself? If you want to "help" someone there are many, many, good causes that could actually use your contribution(s) to accomplish something for some needy person(s).

No, a tip is not at a like "taxing" yourself, since taxes are not voluntary. You've hit on the very reason why I do tip generously for many things (hotel room housekeeping, restaurants (especially diners and low-cost eateries, etc.)). The people working these jobs are really working, providing me and society a valuable service. I appreciate hard work and am glad to reward it directly. Tax money seized from me and given to an individual who did not earn it does not reward hard work. Just the opposite.

If they do a good job, I reward them with repeat business and referrals. Isn't that enough for a business?

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom