Should I treat myself to a Chevy Volt?

The liquid solution that cools the Chevrolet Volt’s batteries is the likely cause of fires...

We've been cooling things in cars for decades. I wonder why they're having problems here.

into Volt battery fires, which occurred from seven days to three weeks after crash tests by the agency.

You mean that the cars didn't immediately burst into fireballs, incinerating the crash test dummies, as the media reports seemed to imply?

I know this is ancient history but in the 1970s I worked at an aerospace company that was working on an electric vehicle. While parked but "on" the electronic controls failed and the car took off cross country before crashing into a creek. We ran to the crash site and there was some pretty spectacular electrical arcing that led to a fire. The FD responded, slashing some cables with a fire axe and putting out the fire with extinguishers. Modern designs probably take into consideration how to contain all that stored energy in the event of a crash.

I think this says more about the condo board than the Volt.

Totally agree about the condo board.

I live in a condo and had the same thought that if one was to get a plug-in hybrid, no way would they allow a resident to plug in the common grounds to charge up the vechile. Unless of course, hybrids become really popular and they decide to charge everyone :LOL: to install the charging stations.

The pros/cons of condo living.

I think this says more about the condo board than the Volt.
Totally agree about the condo board.
The pros/cons of condo living.
When the man who brought Tetris out from behind the Iron Curtain became the first resident of Hawaii to own a Tesla, he wanted to put a recharging receptacle in his condo garage.

It's a really, really, really nice condo. I think the monthly HOA fees are more than my mortgage payment.

The condo board said "No."

The owner said "I'll pay for the installation, I'll put a separate meter on it, and I'll pay the bills for the meter."

The condo board said "No" again.

Their logic:
"What if everyone here got a Tesla, what would we do then? How could we ever accommodate all those electrical receptacles in the garage?"

Some people buy EV's simply because they are a better car:)
They're quieter, smoother and simply a pleasure to drive. Even if it weren't for the pollution factor, I'd be driving one.

Once again, I am not saying electric cars will work for everyone. Neither will a Prius, motorcycle, or pickup truck. Those other vehicles seem to be selling quite well and not in danger of disappearing anytime soon. Likewise I don't see EV's disappearing anytime soon either.

That is more than ever before so you'll forgive me if I think the EV's future looks brighter than ever before.

+1

Thank you, Zathras --- for your thoughts.

For the record, after reading everyone's comments and test driving a Volt, I made up my mind and bought a 2012 Volt right before Thanksgiving. To date, I have only had to put 4 gallons of gas in the tank to replenish it. It is by far, EV or not, the nicest, most comfortable, quiet, luxurious ride I've ever had. And now that gas prices in my area are almost $4.00 per gallon, I am doubly glad that I bought the Volt.

On the matter of subsidies, I am anti it as well but I think all of us are "paying" the subsidies for many others in so many ways. For example, I have never benefited from the Child Tax Credit, etc. but I've never begrudged parents who have many children who received those tax credits etc.

I do value and respect ALL opinions and comments received. They were all valuable and gave me much to ponder. I absolutely recommend a test drive in a Volt for any doubters not necessarily to evaluate whether or not to purchase an EV but just to feel really proud of what an American automobile company was able to manufacture. It is quite an accomplishment for GM.

High Five to Zathras, fellow Volt owner. And thank you ALL, again, for replying to my OP.

Retire 2014

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new Volt! I'm glad you found a car that you really like a lot. It wouldn't be my choice, but to me that is one of the great aspects of living in this country - - we can each choose what makes us happiest and seems like the best deal to us according to what we value.

I have heard rumors that gas will be going up to $5/gallon before too long. Either way, sounds like it won't affect you much. :)

I'm glad you got what you wanted (but what color did you get? :)).

How much do you think your electric costs have been for the car?

Dear Bestwife,

I bought a white one with tan leather interior. It uses 10 kwh each night to get fully charged up. A fully charged battery gives me 38 miles of driving the next day. Since I always charge my car after 10 p.m., the cost per kwh in my town is 6 cents, so I pay 60 cents in electricity each day to drive 38 miles. If I were to plug my car in during peak hours, the cost per kwh goes up to 16 cents which would mean $1.60 to drive 38 miles. Thank you for being happy for my purchase.

For the record, after reading everyone's comments and test driving a Volt, I made up my mind and bought a 2012 Volt right before Thanksgiving. To date, I have only had to put 4 gallons of gas in the tank to replenish it.
Congratulations on your new car! We want pictures!!!

One question - what does the owner's manual say about the need to 'exercise' the gas engine? I'd be concerned you are using it so infrequently the gas in your tank could go bad. (I know, there's always something...)

Dear Bestwife,

I bought a white one with tan leather interior. It uses 10 kwh each night to get fully charged up. A fully charged battery gives me 38 miles of driving the next day. Since I always charge my car after 10 p.m., the cost per kwh in my town is 6 cents, so I pay 60 cents in electricity each day to drive 38 miles. If I were to plug my car in during peak hours, the cost per kwh goes up to 16 cents which would mean $1.60 to drive 38 miles. Thank you for being happy for my purchase.

Thanks for the details re the cost to electrify your driving pleasure. The car sounds pretty!

One question - what does the owner's manual say about the need to 'exercise' the gas engine? I'd be concerned you are using it so infrequently the gas in your tank could go bad. (I know, there's always something...)
As I understood the computer turns on the engine every so often if it hasn't being started for awhile, so that it works the moving parts.

Congrats on the Volt!

I'm in the market for a car and based on the $1.40 per litre here in Canada which equates to $1.40 X 3.78 litres per U.S. gallon = $5.29 per your gallon, I'm considering the Volt.

I wish there was shorter version of this thread but I guess I'll have to do my own research in time. I still have to get over the price tag though. OUCH!

Last edited:
Retire2014,

Congrats on your Chevy Volt!

I had to get a chuckle (in an nice way) after reading that since you bought your car (just after Thanksgiving) that you've only had to put 4 gallons of gas in. The savings should even be better with the upcoming gas price hikes.

I remember that one year was predicted to be the "Year of the LAN.". It was around 1982, and we laughed about it, because almost no one had a local network. Now almost everyone has it.

Your report convinces me that electric cars will happen, it will just take a little longer than expected.

REwahoo,

I do kick into gas territory at least every other day if I go grocery shopping or to the gym after work since that would end up being over 38 miles RT. So at least every other day, I drive on gas for about 1 mile or two. According to my understanding of how the Volt works, this should be sufficient to keep the gas "fresh" ---

If you worry about the battery fires, don't. That was weeks later when the vehicle used in the severe crash tests was at the disposal site. I understand that in a real world car crash, the battery would/should have been disposed of safely.

The National Highway Transportation Safety (not sure I got the name correct) finished its investigation of the issue and stated that it found no safety defect or issue and gave the Volt a "5" in safety rating. "5" is the highest/most safe any vehicle can receive. Also, insurance industry voted the Volt the "safest" car or some such. I wish I have the time right now to look up the correct quote/link for you.

Based on my research, the Volt is a safe vehicle. Thank you for your question.

I remember that one year was predicted to be the "Year of the LAN.". It was around 1982, and we laughed about it, because almost no one had a local network. Now almost everyone has it.

Your report convinces me that electric cars will happen, it will just take a little longer than expected.

My prediction is when the Murphy Gas stations at the Wally Worlds have fast charging stations, then electric cars will be mainstream :LOL:

REwahoo,

I do kick into gas territory at least every other day if I go grocery shopping or to the gym after work since that would end up being over 38 miles RT. So at least every other day, I drive on gas for about 1 mile or two. According to my understanding of how the Volt works, this should be sufficient to keep the gas "fresh" ---

If you worry about the battery fires, don't.
I don't worry about battery fires, but I do worry whether or not using your gas engine for a mile or two every other day will fare well over the long term. That isn't enough to get the engine up to operating temperature and can leave moisture in the exhaust system and have a few other detrimental effects over time. Might be a good idea to take it for a spin at highway speeds using the gas engine a couple of times a month.

Does your owners manual address this situation?

Rewahoo --I've always tried to cut down on my driving but now knowing that it's good to drive some on the gas engine, I will drive it for pleasure more on the weekends. I volunteer w/ homeless animals, so once or twice a month I can offer to do home checks/home visits to check on the homes of potentioal adopters--- this could end up being much more than my eletricity range. Thanks for your advice.

Congratulations. I wouldn't sweat the gas running intervals. Unless you make a real habit of 1 mile gas powered runs, you will never wear out that engine.

Unless you make a real habit of 1 mile gas powered runs, you will never wear out that engine.
I agree she will never wear it out. My concern is more along the lines of having it "gunk up" and become hard to start or run rough due to lack of use (like me, sitting in front of this keyboard.... :)).

That's a beautiful car and if it were mine I'd run it a bit more on gas simply to be sure I was taking good care of it.

For the record, after reading everyone's comments and test driving a Volt, I made up my mind and bought a 2012 Volt right before Thanksgiving.

Retire 2014

Congratulations on your new Volt! I'm glad you found a car that you really like a lot. It wouldn't be my choice, but to me that is one of the great aspects of living in this country - - we can each choose what makes us happiest and seems like the best deal to us according to what we value.

W2R said it well, so I'll just say +1 to that. But what took you so long to 'own up' to buying one?

A couple questions/comments:

EV or not, the nicest, most comfortable, quiet, luxurious ride I've ever had.

Nice, but how does that compare to other cars in the same (pre-subsidy) price range?

On the matter of subsidies, I am anti it as well but I think all of us are "paying" the subsidies for many others in so many ways. For example, I have never benefited from the Child Tax Credit, etc. but I've never begrudged parents who have many children who received those tax credits etc.

I guess we feel differently about that then. I don't see any reason I should be forced to transfer my money to someone else because they decided to have more kids than me. That was their choice and they should pay.

I do value and respect ALL opinions and comments received. They were all valuable and gave me much to ponder. I absolutely recommend a test drive in a Volt for any doubters not necessarily to evaluate whether or not to purchase an EV

When the non-subsidy price is in the $25K range for something comparable to what I would buy otherwise, then of course I'll take a look.

but just to feel really proud of what an American automobile company was able to manufacture. It is quite an accomplishment for GM.

But will they make any money on it? Sometimes doing something just because you can is not a good game plan.

I agree she will never wear it out. My concern is more along the lines of having it "gunk up" and become hard to start or run rough due to lack of use (like me, sitting in front of this keyboard.... :)).

That's a beautiful car and if it were mine I'd run it a bit more on gas simply to be sure I was taking good care of it.

I'm pretty sure the computer takes care of this. It monitors all sorts of parameters, and I assume if you just had a bunch of short runs, it would go ahead and turn on at start-up until it saw enough 'at temperature' run time.

For years now, some/all of our cars have been subject to a lot of short trips. I still only changed the oil per the regular (not severe) schedule, and never had any oil-related mechanical problems with them. Our new CRV went the full year before the oil life indicator said we should think about changing the oil (they still recc annually).

-ERD50

I understand your point, but if he periodically runs the engine enough to evaporate all the water out of the oil it will be fine. I think the computer exercises the engine enough to keep the other stuff from getting gunked up and sticky.

Back
Top Bottom