Join Early Retirement Today

Should Schools teach Acronyms?
Old 01-01-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Should Schools teach Acronyms?

The Third Webster Standard Dictionary contains about 500,000 entries. The Acronym Finder
Abbreviations and acronyms dictionary
contains 5 million acronyms and abbreviations.

As a texting impaired senior, I am increasingly lost in what I read, after thinking myself to be reasonably well educated and at least average in literacy.

In reading a current on-line news article, I came across a paragraph that mentioned VOD several times. Without understanding what "VOD" meant, the article made no sense.

And so, an old person's rant and a question. Has the english language evolved to a point where the economies of correspondence and indeed conversation dictate a new course of study?

When intrapersonal relationships require a common language which has 25 times the number of "words" to carry on mutually comprehensible conversation... can this be good? When the media acquiesce to this change, are we improving the state of knowledge and understanding?

What of young people? Not just the nominal BFF or AFAIK or LOL... but the acronyms that we, as adults, have learned to incorporate in our normal day to day interactions... SS or SWR, DW, YMMV ... common language to ER (sic), but possibly alien to others.

For us, a matter of incremental, one at a time learning experience, but for young people, faced with trying to learn from the MSM somewhat more difficult, or, even worse, causing misinterpretation, misunderstanding, or worse, fostering longer term ignorance.
On the first visits to ER, I misinterpreted DW to mean Damned Wife, Dumb Woman and Divorced Wife... based on the context or the first posts that I was reading.
So, even today, I find myself regularly using a task bar link to an acronym search to help me understand what I am reading. I seriously doubt that everyone does the same, so that when a story about international relations references the actions of the ACIFFA, the reader has absolutely no idea what that means, and just adds to the growing numbers of citizens who vote, but don't know what they are voting for.

To help, "Should Schools teach Acronyms?"
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 08:25 AM   #2
Administrator

IMHO it's NBD
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

While working, this was a pet peeve. We would commonly receive e-mails touting some wonderful new program. The e-mail would use the full name exactly once and the acronym thereafter, as if this shortened version had come into use naturally because the longer term was used so often.

Since retiring however, I regard them as a kind of mini-challenge. I try to see if I can figure them out from the context (VOD probably = Video On Demand).

Any class would end up being some long boring listing or else some in-depth examination of something that doesn't really deserve its own acronym.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There is no need to teach acronyms, only how to find out what they mean. Google will do.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Who says they don't?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

They change depending on the subject matter. We got shot down by the marketing folks but the development team wanted to name a new software product "DOA".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
They change depending on the subject matter. We got shot down by the marketing folks but the development team wanted to name a new software product "DOA".
That's why I was so bemused at Fidelity calling their software the Retirement Income Planner.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was at NASA, I was told you know you've been fully immersed in the program when you can have conversations using only verbs, adverbs and acronyms and don't think its strange.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That's why I was so bemused at Fidelity calling their software the Retirement Income Planner.
Yes not sure how they got that one through the marketing "So I use RIP until I RIP".

Actually my last couple of years in IT they started reusing TLA's from older technology. You learned it one way, now your reading about its use. At the same time wondering why the author was talking about this great new technology that you dismissed 20 years ago. Wasn't the same technology.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:58 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

People pick up acronyms and slang in the areas they are interested in. It is easy to Google terms that are new. You, of course, as a polymath and research guru already know that.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Those young folk use acronyms people >30 don't know yet and probably stop using as soon as they do.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:36 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
...."Should Schools teach Acronyms?"
As I recall, they do. And why not? Acronyms are just convenient shorthand for words, titles or phrases.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

TFM, a POV. A NUB IRL ISO TLC. TMI,SITD. MHOTY TYVM, OTOH, RBTL, SH and now I'll RTM. TTYL.
L8R
Old 01-02-2015, 09:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
There is no need to teach acronyms, only how to find out what they mean. Google will do.
One thing I really like about reading books with Kindle is that I can tap and look up words and acronyms I don't know as needed. Kindle also now shows a Wikipedia article if appropriate. This if often fascinating.

The Mac also does this for any selected text when you right-click and select Look Up - works great in Safari:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg junk_vod.jpg (32.1 KB, 65 views)
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:30 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

ICYMI
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/st...ymi-world.html
Old 01-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #16

In the early '80's our parts aftersales system was called automated inventory distribution system- AIDS. I don't know how much it cost to switch the name.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:27 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Back in the early 1980's I did some work at Sylvania Lighting and they had a billing system that they called BETS. One day I asked what BETS stood for and was told it was the Bill-Every-Thing-System. I guess it was better to bill everything than not bill some sales. I'm not sure if they were pulling my leg or not.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

No

I enjoyed my acronym free schooling.

I just had to start learning acronyms when I went to work.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #19

I always thought this site was funny. Texting Abbreviations for Seniors

As Read: Texting Abbreviations for the Elderly | Car Talk
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:02 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry, but writing something, anything, with goofy shorthand like " u r" on anything but an old flip phone is a feeble attempt to appear "cool"...

Having been imprisoned in "high tech" for 30+ years, TLAs and FLAs were/are a way of life, one destined for a distant, unpleasant memory about 8/31...

Being a SA, I used to re-label material that was super-hot when requested, but then sat on a shelf for a month with no apparent action afterward, as S.H.I.T. - super highly important test...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote