Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfindley79 View Post
Here's the situation...
Would anyone seriously consider doing this?
Sure. There are these arcane skills called "bicycling" and "walking", let alone the concept of ride-sharing or coordinating schedules. People used to do that back when the stable was only big enough to hold one horse.

When our daughter started driving, the car essentially sat at school all day. (Much like an adult vehicle sits at work.) Spouse and I had no problem sharing the remaining car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
What you happen if that one cars need repair?
Well, you either do your reading & TV watching at the mechanic's waiting room, or you bicycle home after dropping off the car, or you call Enterprise to have them drop a rental off.

And if you go out to start the car for the drive to the big event, but the car won't start, then you do the same with a combination of taxis and rental cars.

The idea is that in the long run you'll save a lot more than you'll spend on an occasional "emergency" or other inconvenience.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfindley79
Here's the situation...

My wife and I each have our own cars used primarily for commuting. My commute is only ~3 miles one way while my wife travels nearly 50 miles one way.

We have talked about dropping one car with the hope of pocketing the money from the sale of the car (car is paid off) as well as taking advantage of the lower insurance and fuel costs.

The car we would get rid of is the one I drive but I do have access to a work truck that I could drive home during the week. This truck would only be used for travel to and from work without any use for "personal" situations.

BTW, we should be able to get 11K - 12K for my car. Would anyone seriously consider doing this?
We did this for ten years, minus the backup work truck. I dropped off DH at work on my way to work and picked him up on the way back. Once in a while he took the bus and once or twice a year when schedules were impossible we hired a taxi. We enjoyed the shared commute time, and it quickly became the new normal. These days we still share a car but we live in a city so mostly use public transport.

It was a good choice for us.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #23

Downsizing to one vehicle makes sense for some people - those that are not inconvenienced by the downsizing. It would work if you can walk, bike, mass transit, etc in lieu of driving. Whenever I downsize a vehicle, I ask myself if the monetary gain more than offsets the inconvenience. If yes, then I would downsize.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfindley79 View Post
Here's the situation...

My wife and I each have our own cars used primarily for commuting. My commute is only ~3 miles one way while my wife travels nearly 50 miles one way.

We have talked about dropping one car with the hope of pocketing the money from the sale of the car (car is paid off) as well as taking advantage of the lower insurance and fuel costs.

The car we would get rid of is the one I drive but I do have access to a work truck that I could drive home during the week. This truck would only be used for travel to and from work without any use for "personal" situations.

BTW, we should be able to get 11K - 12K for my car. Would anyone seriously consider doing this?
I will take a look at three things,
- Reduced insurance, may not be much due to multi-car discount.
- Depreciation for both cars. 50 miles one way is high, 25k miles/yr, so putting 13k per car may be better if cars are rotated. How old are the cars, if past 5 yrs, depending on model, depreciation rate will be slow.
- Opportunity cost of $10k.

Convenience factor, how much maximum you want to spend on second car? Cycling, work truck etc. can be used even with second car, so fuel cost is not a factor here.

I had two cars even there was only one driver, I used older for commuting, 50 miles total. I guess it cost me $1k extra every year, but I put 10k less miles on my newer car.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ditching one of our cars falls under my ER philosophy of belt and suspenders. If we find we can no longer afford two older cars (12+ years) we will get rid of one. We have reasonably good access to mass transit, so we could manage. Having said that, we are still willing to pay for the convenience of 1) No scheduling conflicts 2) Extra car available for breakdown or repairs (few repair places here take appointments - it's either wait and wait or leave it. 3) Spare car for our not-infrequent visitors to use when on the Island.

I calculated that our two cars cost us less than a total of $500/month last year. That includes all fuel, maintenance, insurance, repairs and estimated depreciation/replacement. Per mile that turns out to be about $.50 to $.60. Not cheap, but just about the average Edmonds estimates IIRC. Getting rid of one car WOULD save us some fixed costs such as insurance and depreciation/replacement. As old as our cars are, I doubt it would save over $2K per year. So far, for the convenience, we are willing to pay the extra costs.

If our cars were more valuable (to the extent we could sell them for $10K each) it might be more tempting to do that. As it is, we have two "known quantities" that aren't worth more than $5K to $6K total if we sold both cars. Until repairs begin to cost too much, I consider that we are in the "sweet spot" of car ownership: reasonably reliable and relatively inexpensive ownership. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a bike guy now. When we moved to Cali, I got out more and appreciated the easy option of exercise while saving money.

When we go back, we're staying a single car family and biking it. Living within 2-3 miles of the bus / subway will also allow you to really get around town via cycling.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Even deer hunting, you do not need a car, even in the middle of winter

Goes together like deer hunting and bicycles | Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin