Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I have heard a lot of negatives about Windows 8 for PCs. Tablets maybe, put PCs
Windows 8 is supposed to work with a smaller footprint (using less memory). If they make the other software follow the same suit it will be great, but the coders will probably have to work harder to get that optimized - so it is left open for now whether or not it will be better...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Well, maybe Intuit will figure out which way things are going and release UNIX-based (Linux, MacOS) versions of their products. I used Quicken for Mac a few years ago and it was terrible. I'd pay for it even if the OS was free.
I'm pretty sure that the on-line versions are their 'solutions'. This would be more on-topic at tax time, I have mixed feelings of on-line versus local, but there are enough advantages to on-line that I'm OK with it (not having to wait for updates to download every single time I log on). Not sure I'd switch if they did provide a *NIX version.

-ERD50

Old 07-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm beta testing Win8 right now. I like it, pretty zippy and it has a nice layout for organizing programs and files into groups of "tiles.". I'm a visual person so I like the corkboard-style layout. One group of tiles for my social media, another group for current projects, and so on.

Given the cheap upgrade, I'll probably switch.

SIS
Old 07-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have two Vista laptops and a Windows 7 desktop. Never had a problem with any of them. As others have said, I never understood all the bad Vista press. My laptop is 5 years old and I'm due for am upgrade soon, but it will likely be Windows 7 based.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Not a techie, so I let my upgrades be guided by whatever comes on a new computer when I need it. My 2006 HP laptop with XP will likely be replaced by another laptop that has Windows 8 on it (I'll wait for that rather than getting one with Windows 7). I'm sure it will be fine for my purposes.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Bah! Overlapping windows are so overrated. Windows 1.0 on DOS 5, running on this tricked out 286 turbo box. If I want web access, gotta boot Windows 3 and run Mosaic...
When I was blowing code at Naval Postgraduate School we could choose to work on a hotshot 386 running Win1.0. It was laughably clunky as we sat there on our Sun Unix workstations and Silicon Graphics Irix machines, feeling so superior next to that troglodyte of an OS.

25 years later my daughter sits there with her Macbook feeling so superior next to that troglodyte using Win7 on a "desktop"...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:38 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The releases are not always backwards compatible with other applications. Unless there is a compelling need, why upgrade?
I always wait at least a few months after the release of a new OS and I double check to make sure that all of my peripherals have new drivers and work with the OS update. Even then, I update my laptop first and double check that all my stuff works before moving my desktop. No sense updating the OS and finding out I can't use my photo printer, or monitor calibrator, or scanner, etc.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #28

I have always immediately upgraded to the new Windows version and often even did the pre-release versions.

But, the research I've read about Windows 8 is really horrifying for anyone who isn't using a tablet. Even the positive reviews (few though they are) are not exactly glowing.

From what I can tell it is very nice for tablets. It may even be adequate for people who simply consume content -- although it offers few advantages for desktop users and those don't outweigh the disadvantages. It is not good at all for those who must do actually work on a desktop.

From what I can tell, I've seen no real reason for any desktop user to upgrade and it makes many routine tasks more difficult.

A sampling of articles:

Mobile Opportunity: Fear and Loathing and Windows 8

Windows 8: Microsoft’s radical operating system redesign will aggravate you to no end. - Slate Magazine

Final thoughts on Windows 8: A design disaster | ZDNet
Old 07-09-2012, 04:33 AM   #29

I won't upgrade since I just bought a new PC and an ipad. Windows 8 will hopefully be installed on the next PC I will buy in a few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I dunno about taking the dive...

Should you switch to Windows 8?

From this article, I'm thinking by 2014, maybe it's time for me to switch from XP to Windows 7?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I use whatever comes on a PC when I buy one. Never bothered with upgrading. The only tinkering I do is with the browser. Currently use Google Chrome.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Still using Windows 3.1 and I can't imagine how many discs it would take to upgrade all the way to Windows 8. Not gonna do it, I'm telling ya.
I'm almost that bad. I didn't go from Win98 to Win7 until I bought a new computer and the only reason I did that was because some software I wanted to use wouldn't run on Win98.

So unless I see a compelling reason I won't move to Windows 8.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Anyone using 16-bit Windows programs (under XP, for example) should be aware Vista/7/8 will not run them. IMO that's one of the bigger drawbacks since I still use/enjoy some 16-bit programs dating from the 1990s.
If you get the right version of windows 7, it has XP mode that you can run any windows XP compatible program.

edit: just saw that this was already answered earlier in the thread
Old 07-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I have heard a lot of negatives about Windows 8 for PCs. Tablets maybe, put PCs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJ View Post
... so far I am unimpressed. I do not own a tablet, so why should my OS function as if written for one? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
... But, the research I've read about Windows 8 is really horrifying for anyone who isn't using a tablet. ... it offers few advantages for desktop users and those don't outweigh the disadvantages. It is not good at all for those who must do actually work on a desktop.
This is one of the great advantages of Linux - you are not locked into any one configuration. How the 'desktop' looks and works is all defined by modules, and it is pretty easy to remove/add these modules and configure it the way you want.

The most popular Linux release, 'Ubuntu' made this move to a tablet-like interface, and a lot of users did not like it (me included). But you could tweak it to remove that interface, or just load an alternate distribution, like Xubuntu, which has the same underlying components, but a more traditional 'desktop'.

When I'm on the family's Macs, and there is some utility, or configuration change that I feel I need to make computing better on that system, half the time I find that someone sells that little utility for $30 or so. Heck, I might want 5 of those, and that adds up. In Linux, the users are providing these utilities, almost always for free. Sometimes they might be a bit limited or buggy, but often, they are better (and more configurable) than their commercial versions.

-ERD50
Old 07-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I don't see a simple upgrade path from my current MacOS 10.7.4 to Windows 8, so I guess I'll stay with what I've got.

More seriously, I attended a course in another state last month, and as we all introduced ourselves in the first session, one person said he had recently worked for Microsoft. Another class member immediately asked him if he had any knowledge of Windows 8.

His reply surprised everyone: "I was on the Windows 8 development team, and it's a disaster. That's why I'm no longer with them."

Exactly how long ago that split came, and exactly why he left were left unasked, but it was certainly an indication that it might be wise to wait for 8.1 or so, rather than jumping in with 8.0.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #35

The $40 upgrade cost from XP, Vista or Win7, will make it enticing.

I run vista and haven't had any of the issues that people talk about. DW on the other hand is running XP on an ancient notebook, so we're waiting till vendors ship W8 to upgrade or better still, ship with W7 with an upgrade coupon for W8.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I don't see a simple upgrade path from my current MacOS 10.7.4 to Windows 8, so I guess I'll stay with what I've got.
I'm not sure that even qualifies as an "upgrade"...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote