Join Early Retirement Today

Should You Switch to Windows 8?
Old 07-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Should You Switch to Windows 8?

I dunno about taking the dive...

Should you switch to Windows 8?

From this article, I'm thinking by 2014, maybe it's time for me to switch from XP to Windows 7?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Administrator

Windows upgrades are very demanding on HW resources. The releases are not always backwards compatible with other applications. Unless there is a compelling need, why upgrade?

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I dunno about taking the dive...
From this article, I'm thinking by 2014, maybe it's time for me to switch from XP to Windows 7?
I don't know about your two-step upgrade, but I'm very happy that I ditched Vista for Win7. I procrastinated far longer than I should have.

I'm also happy to let the other Win8 beta testers hurl themselves off the cliff. Maybe in 3-4 more years I'll be typing on a touch-screen monitor instead of on a keyboard...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I don't know about your two-step upgrade, but I'm very happy that I ditched Vista for Win7. I procrastinated far longer than I should have.

I'm also happy to let the other Win8 beta testers hurl themselves off the cliff. Maybe in 3-4 more years I'll be typing on a touch-screen monitor instead of on a keyboard...
Presently, my PCs are still on Win XP. Though I have used Win 7 and found that stable and the learning curve from XP is small.

For anyone with Vista, that OS was so problematic.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still using Windows 3.1 and I can't imagine how many discs it would take to upgrade all the way to Windows 8. Not gonna do it, I'm telling ya.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Switch to Windows 8, from Xubuntu 12.04 (Linux)? No Way!

I just went through switching (upgrading I guess) from Ubuntu 10.04, as that was nearing the end of LTS (Long Term Support) for bug fixes and security updates. No real compatibility issues, though in a few cases I switched from one version of a program to another for some tasks, if they are better supported under the new OS. But nothing major. Chromium browser, LibreOffice, and Thunderbird for email are the major applications I use. Plus DigiKam for photos, a few different graphics editors, some music & sound programs, scanner apps (Linux seems to be the only current OS that supports my very old scanner), KdenLive for video editing, plus a bunch of misc apps for this and that.

The new OS release is probably easier on Hardware requirements than the old, certainly no worse. I didn't care for the 'Unity' (iPad-like) interface on Ubuntu 12.04, so like many others I went for Xubuntu for a more traditional (and useful for the way I work) desktop interface.

Oh, and for us LBYM'ers - X/Ubuntu is free to DL and install and maintain.

Home | Ubuntu
Xubuntu

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I used Ubuntu when I was working and it is great.

Now, at home. I only use a desktop about once a week and it still runs Vista. The only reason I use Windows at all is Quicken...

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have heard a lot of negatives about Windows 8 for PCs. Tablets maybe, put PCs
Old 07-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #9

I've been using Vista since 4/2008 and don't have any problems despite many people don't like it, I have no idea why. Vista was installed on this custom built pc and the OS is 64 bit not 32.

I used to use XP and then XP Pro at work for many years and was very familiar with them. Vista was a lot different. But I wouldn't go to Win 7 since it's not going to be the current OS soon but I see no reason to ditch Vista. If it ain't broke don't fix it is my motto.

I do share the fear of changing OS when you know how to use the one you've used for years. You never know what to expect and Windows products are not all that well written.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #10

Ms G and I have laptops mine has W7 hers runs Vista. We network together there seem to be very little difference in speed or stability of the two OS's.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I used Ubuntu when I was working and it is great.

Now, at home. I only use a desktop about once a week and it still runs Vista. The only reason I use Windows at all is Quicken...
Sometimes I think of trying a freebie like Ubuntu. But like you there'd be some program holdovers that I'd still want (Turbotax and my budgeting program, for example). I know I can go Turbotax online, but I'd prefer to work on my taxes locally.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The only operating system I ever bought just because it was new, was Windows 95 (which I got the first day on the market).

I'll wait until the next time I need a new computer to get Windows 8. Hopefully that will be a while, since I just got my present Windows 7 laptop last year.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Bah! Overlapping windows are so overrated. Windows 1.0 on DOS 5, running on this tricked out 286 turbo box. If I want web access, gotta boot Windows 3 and run Mosaic...

(more junk to go on e-waste day)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm using XP Pro and will have to upgrade in 2014 when MS no longer issues critical updates for XP. I'm gonna miss Office 2003. Just when you are used to something and it works fine, ...................
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #15

Anyone using 16-bit Windows programs (under XP, for example) should be aware Vista/7/8 will not run them. IMO that's one of the bigger drawbacks since I still use/enjoy some 16-bit programs dating from the 1990s.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #16
Confused about dryer sheets

I've seen both the Windows 8 and the Windows Server 2012 betas and so far I am unimpressed. I do not own a tablet, so why should my OS function as if written for one? The user interface leaves much to be desired, as with Vista it seems like they just rearranged things for the sake of doing something new. Incidentally, that's also my problem with Apple products - they want you to do things the "Apple" way. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just that I have some "philosophical differences" with their methods.

Windows 7 fixed most of the functionality and stability issues I had with Vista, and it's also much easier to deploy and manage compared to XP. Given the choice I'll stick with Windows 7 - it just works.
DaveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Anyone using 16-bit Windows programs (under XP, for example) should be aware Vista/7/8 will not run them. IMO that's one of the bigger drawbacks since I still use/enjoy some 16-bit programs dating from the 1990s.
This is true, although I believe some versions of Windows 7 have an "XP mode" virtual machine that you can run if needed. Failing that, you could install Oracle's free Virtualbox software (https://www.virtualbox.org/) and run just about any OS on it that you wish.
DaveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #18

Yes, I probably will. For the first time in the 14 years I've used the Internet, I got a laptop computer today. It comes with a free upgrade to Windows 8 in a few weeks. However, that's not why we bought it. I found a 14 inch, lightweight HP that I liked for less than $600. My husband finally convinced me that there was no reason I should feel selfish for spending money on myself.
I guess I can stop using my phone for a mini laptop.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Does anyone know if Win 8 will have an 'expiration date' later than Win 7 ?
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer

Sometimes I think of trying a freebie like Ubuntu. But like you there'd be some program holdovers that I'd still want (Turbotax and my budgeting program, for example). I know I can go Turbotax online, but I'd prefer to work on my taxes locally.
Well, maybe Intuit will figure out which way things are going and release UNIX-based (Linux, MacOS) versions of their products. I used Quicken for Mac a few years ago and it was terrible. I'd pay for it even if the OS was free.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote