Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'd be too embarrassed. It's in decent shape but it's a plain 10'x14' rectangle with a rail and bench around it, nothing exciting about it. But the deck will be more of a priority in the next house...
Hey...all I've got is a small patio and a lot of gravel and rock.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

We've got some very large deck areas in the backyard. Eventually we want to replace this area with nicely designed pavers. If you are not building on high elevation change areas, it seems to me the maintenance hassles of wood as a walking surface favor using stone, bricks, pavers, etc.

Their are some very good books on deck and patio ideas. You might check out the library ones first.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, my camera is still packed from the move but my patio will be easy to picture. I fenced in the carport and bought comfortable lawn furniture. The carport is connected to the garage so it is in the back middle of the house and opens into the back yard. The woman who owned the house before me was into gardening so we have a pretty view. Total cost - almost nothing.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I was working on mine just today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg olddeck500.jpg (87.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I built our cedar deck in 1994. A few years ago, the cedar started rotting and would not take stain. So I replaced all the cedar with Trex, and added skirting.

I'm glad I went with a composite material and aluminum ballisters - very little maintenance. I live by a lake with lots of humidity, so I have to power wash the deck every year to get mildew spots off.

I also added new rock steps and outcroppings down to our lower level patio. The rock work is a lot of strenuous work, but I pulled them into place with my atv and winch.

Some place you've got there. Beautiful landscaping and a nice job you did on the deck.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Some place you've got there. Beautiful landscaping and a nice job you did on the deck.
Thanks - I had to replace my old deck - it was rotting. I like the Trex composite - just power wash it and it looks like its new. I'd like to go with more color in the landscape, but we have a deer problem
Old 08-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

You have nice decks in FIRE-land! Thanks for the ideas. I have a lot to do. After repairing and expanding the patio, I'd like to add a Pergola and paved walkways to a couple of sitting areas in my yard.
Attached Images
File Type: png image-3042164977.png (622.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png image-2938837062.png (581.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png image-2311382693.png (400.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Here's ours, very simple:

Yesterday we had dinner on it for the first time in several years. It's rarely warm enough, but yesterday it was 65 degrees.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #29

The screened porch off the kitchen was DW's idea when we had the house built. I use it much more than she does so it was a good idea.

The small deck is there for the sole purpose of the grill, which we use often.

Underneath the porch is a large storage shed. That was her idea too. I tell her that I should listen to her more often and naturally she agrees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Back-porch_08-25-11_4424.jpg (51.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Back-porch_08-25-11_4426.jpg (70.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Back-porch_08-25-11_4428.jpg (59.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Back-porch_08-25-11_4427.jpg (63.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I love houses with wrap around porches....

Old 08-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Until you have to paint them, especially all those little spindles.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'd be too embarrassed. It's in decent shape but it's a plain 10'x14' rectangle with a rail and bench around it, nothing exciting about it. But the deck will be more of a priority in the next house...
Yours is very spacious compared with mine, as you can see. No big deal. It's too hot and humid in New Orleans to sit out there anyway, except sometimes in October.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patio.jpg (23.1 KB, 180 views)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #33

This house comes with a nice deck

Old 08-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I was working on mine just today.
Hey Dawg52, I can relate to that. Seems like I've been working on this place since we moved in a year ago. Actually 16 months ago. DW watches Home and Garden all the time and then says "you know what I've been thinking?" You haven't been thinking squat! You've been watching TV. I hate Home and Garden.

Actually, we are finished with the outside. Added a screen room this summer but it's been too hot to use it. Also, just finished the remodel of our master bath and I'll be taking pictures next week of the results. Just waiting for the shower glass.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #35

When it comes to balusters, I highly recommend you ditch the high maintenance wood and install the metal.
Of course for a touch of class you'll need Texas stars on the rails.
Flowers optional.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Hey Dawg52, I can relate to that. Seems like I've been working on this place since we moved in a year ago. Actually 16 months ago. DW watches Home and Garden all the time and then says "you know what I've been thinking?" You haven't been thinking squat! You've been watching TV. I hate Home and Garden.
I know what you mean. We love watching HGTV, but only because we joke and make snide comments about the decorating when it deserves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36
Actually, we are finished with the outside. Added a screen room this summer but it's been too hot to use it. Also, just finished the remodel of our master bath and I'll be taking pictures next week of the results. Just waiting for the shower glass.
Looking forward to it! I might remodel my master bath sometime, if I can ever figure out what I want to do with it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post
...and an additional basement bathroom.
FWIW we just replaced a 22-year-old toilet with a Kohler Wellworth... best toilet we've ever had!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Merely a small, plain concrete "patio" in back of our little house, but about six years ago I built a screened in gazebo (from a kit) for outdoor relaxing. The Big Green Egg lives in there too, so I can (and do) grill in any weather.

It's octagonal, 16 feet in diameter. There's a ceiling fan in there for when there's no breeze. Since our yard is heavily wooded, the trees give plenty of shade to keep it cool and sheltered. DW loves to sit out there in her wicker rocker and read.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gazebo.jpg (158.5 KB, 102 views)
Old 08-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Merely a small, plain concrete "patio" in back of our little house, but about six years ago I built a screened in gazebo (from a kit) for outdoor relaxing. The Big Green Egg lives in there too, so I can (and do) grill in any weather.

It's octagonal, 16 feet in diameter. There's a ceiling fan in there for when there's no breeze. Since our yard is heavily wooded, the trees give plenty of shade to keep it cool and sheltered. DW loves to sit out there in her wicker rocker and read.
Hey, that gabezo really looks serene and comfortable. Nice! Near Cincy huh? We used to live in Fairfield, OH.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I was just in Fairfield yesterday, for a stop at Jungle Jim's. I'm sure you remember that place. World's most interesting supermarket.

Tags
builders, deck, home-improvement, patio