Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

What do they look like. Not familiar. Will have to look on Amazon.
OK, I looked. Ordered one, a new pizza pan with holes in bottom (to go along with my stone), a new pizza cutter, a new pizza roller.
(and last night a pizza peel)

All this from a 5 lb. bag of mozzarella cheese. Boy am I saving money.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Those carb numbers are way higher than what I get, probably from the marinara sauce. Also, I'd recommend the full-fat, mozz of course.
6 to 12 grams of carbs, about 6% of total calories per serving, seems low to me.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Well, I just made my first pizza. It turned out pretty good, but a lot of prep work. (cutting up pepper in tinny pieces, ham in tiny pieces, onions, olives, pineapple) Then there's the dough. That's another story. Need some practice on that one. But my son liked it fine, so I was happy.

Pizza stone worked out good. Have a pizza peel ordered from Amazon. I managed without it last night. Now if I could just have all those toppings already chopped and waiting nicely in a dish for me (you know like the cooking shows of TV) it wouldn't be so bad.
I've made pizza dough, and also ended up buying Trader Joe's bag of dough - it seemed every bit as good, and 99 cents versus maybe 40 cents for ingredients, not worth the time/effort for me.

I struggled with the rolling out/shaping of the dough until I took this approach:

Let the bag sit out at room temp for an hour.

Oil my cast iron pan. Sprinkle corn-meal on it.

Just dump the dough onto the pan - oil the top of the dough, and 'push' it out to the edges. Do a little more pushing over the next half-hour. Don't worry if it still springs back a bit.

Now, my recent discovery, and the beauty of deep-dish: The shredded Moz is the next layer, so give the dough one more push, then sprinkle the moz in the center. Now you can push the dough out by pushing on the moz - no sticking, and the moz seems to hold the dough in place a bit better. Keep adding moz until the 12 oz is used and the dough is pushed to the edges. Don't worry about getting it perfect, it will rise out just fine as it bakes. Let it rest another 10 minutes, and push out again before adding sauce/toppings and putting in a 425F oven (then turn down to 400F).
It pops out of the cast iron pan easily when done and rested for 5 minutes. Then cut on a board.

-ERD50
Old 12-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats on the first pizza! I've given up on toppings because they are so much work to prep. I'll revist them once I am satisfied with my cheese pizza.

I have really struggled with getting my pizza dough to stretch out all the way as well. Letting it get warm and giving it time to rest seems to help, but it is still really springy. Using a wetter dough has been helpful too, but that also changes the resulting pizza.

I see videos on youtube where people easily stretch it out. I have no idea what they are doing differently than me.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpmyretirement View Post
I have really struggled with getting my pizza dough to stretch out all the way as well. Letting it get warm and giving it time to rest seems to help, but it is still really springy. Using a wetter dough has been helpful too, but that also changes the resulting pizza.

I see videos on youtube where people easily stretch it out. I have no idea what they are doing differently than me.
Yes, resistant buggers, I agree. You say "my way", they say "no way".
Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ERD50, I would love to have your mock Shrimp Po Boy recipe, if you would not mind posting.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpmyretirement View Post
Congrats on the first pizza! I've given up on toppings because they are so much work to prep. I'll revist them once I am satisfied with my cheese pizza.

I had the same problem when I first started making pizza . Now I use a rolling pin to do the initial stretching and then just pull on it . I also went to plain bread dough instead of pizza dough and it was much easier to work with until I got better at pizza making .
Old 12-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone ever try veggie pepperoni? They are really good - you don't get the greasy taste that regular pepperoni gives.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I've frozen mozzarella for months, and I've seen it in submarine freezers for longer than that. I can't tell the taste difference, and those who claim to be able to tell should be subjected to a blind(folded) taste test.
Same here, up to a year, in my deep freezer.
I divvy the cheese up into quart ziploc bags, lay it flat and do not squeeze the air out until after it is frozen.
It stays loose and can be broken apart easier than if you freeze the big bag.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Those carb numbers are way higher than what I get, probably from the marinara sauce. Also, I'd recommend the full-fat, mozz of course.

Here it is. You can even use less tomato paste.

1 6-oz can tomato paste (with no sugar added)
1.3 cup water
.5 cans wine (optional)
1 Tbs oregano leaves
1 Tbs Italian seasoning
.5 Tbs onion powder
1 Tbs garlic powder
.25 cup Parmesan (add until desired thickness)

Heat.

Here it is on shiritaki noodles:
Wow, I just posted on the shirataki thread about pasta alfredo and you show me the shirataki pasta here. Thank you for the marinara recipe. I will definitely try it!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
ERD50, I would love to have your mock Shrimp Po Boy recipe, if you would not mind posting.
No problem! I just posted it in the recipe thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
Anyone ever try veggie pepperoni? They are really good - you don't get the greasy taste that regular pepperoni gives.
I find that lightly frying the regular pepperoni, and setting them on paper towels soaks up a lot of the grease. It tastes a bit more like bacon that way.

Never tried the veggie style, but pepperoni is all about the spices, so I'd bet they are pretty good. Have to remember that for when we cook for our veggie friends.

-ERD50