Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-24-2019, 04:45 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I would be thankful that they came in at all since they are not getting paid. I think after a couple weeks I would either call in sick or resign and go find another job.

That said, and I know there are many people who live paycheck-to-paycheck who are experiencing severe hardships from not being paid... haven't these people heard of an emergency fund?
I understand your thinking but leaving a job that some have been there for many years would be a disaster for them financially (benefits, pensions etc.). There are jobs out there but not that easy to just walk away from there future and what they love to do, in some cases. I understand them coming to work it won't last forever and to much to give up if they walk away.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2019, 04:53 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I would be willing to bet that many of the posters here (myself included) have lived a time in their life when a significant time without a paycheck would have been quite detrimental. And, I would bet that a good number of folks that are affected TODAY with the shutdown will learn a good lesson on money management.

I was thinking about this earlier today. I had about an extra $20 a week after expenses in my early 20’s. I was living paycheck to paycheck. I started working with less than $100 in the bank, so I didn’t have an emergency fund for a long time.

I know what these workers are going through. It is ridiculous that there aren’t programs in place to pay workers under these circumstances.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:13 PM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

So... which government employers are eligible for unemployment compensation?

A little bit complex, but interesting. Like, who pays in, who controls, where does the money come from. State? Federal? Both?

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/gover...-the-shutdown/
Old 01-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I heard that health insurers are demanding that employees pay their health insurance immediately, not sure if it is just the employee portion or both the Fed and employee cost.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #25
gone traveling

The air traffic controller down the street is working a full time unpaid work week and drives Uber at night.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:39 PM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
What about the issue of people working and not getting paid. There will be lots of people that did work not and also got paid..doesn't really seem equitable IOW some workers got paid vacation

That’s true. All employees will get the back pay. Some had to report for duty, the others get a paid vacation.
Smart government employees will have a side hustle to which they can devote more attention during their PTO. Side hustle will enable early retirement earlier than their colleagues who might live paycheck to paycheck without options
michelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:54 PM   #27

One of my sons is Boarder Patrol. He has patrolled in the desert in 118 degree heat, apprehended with his team on multiple occasions armed drug dealers, found dead bodies, has been dehydrated and injured on the job. Congress has played with the number of hours that they have to work and it not being overtime. No, he's not getting paid and he's not calling in sick because he takes his responsibilities seriously.

He is financially responsible and has put money aside so he is ok. But frankly, it is not his not getting paid that is of the most concern to me; it is his not getting killed. It is a dangerous and thankless job.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:11 PM   #28

Vacation implies choice, relaxation, pleasure.

If I'm told "don't come to work, you aren't getting paid now, but will be...eventually, and oh don't go too far as we can call you back on a day's notice" - sorry no that's not a vacation in my book. If I were on this forced furlough, and a friend said they considered me as being on vacation... I don't think I'd consider them a friend much longer.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:26 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Shutdown:
34 days so far...XXXXXXX workers... no work being done.

What work that the XXXXXX people didn't do still needs doing.
What happens to the backlog?

Will more people be hired to catch up on the backlog? cost?
Will the people who come back have to work overtime @$$$ to catch up?

If not, were all those people necessary in the first place?

Your assumptions are mostly incorrect...... People are working without getting paid.

Not sure what job you did for a living, but were you necessary in the first Place? --- Just asking.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:28 PM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Agreed that this is not a vacation for the workers involved, but I have little sympathy for the folks who've been working for the federal government for years without setting aside an emergency fund.

Maybe the government should fund a mandatory financial planning seminar for all employees?
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:37 PM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post

If I'm told "don't come to work, you aren't getting paid now, but will be...eventually, and oh don't go too far as we can call you back on a day's notice" - sorry no that's not a vacation in my book. If I were on this forced furlough, and a friend said they considered me as being on vacation... I don't think I'd consider them a friend much longer.

I certainly don't envy their position but I wouldn't complain if it happened to me.... perhaps I do envy their position
SmallCityDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:14 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
But they will be paid for not working,I don't know what else to call it.

If you go to the Dr you are being paid for not working and it is not a vacation... if you have a baby and are paid for not working it is not a vacation... sure, it is PTO but calling it a vacation is a stretch IMO...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:50 PM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

Planning for a rainy day is part of being a construction worker. Your job as a construction tradesman is to work yourself out of a job. As your trade wraps up the portion of the building you hope that the sales team has a new job for you to move too. But typicaly you get laid off or sit at home for days or weeks waiting for the next big jod to start. If weather is bad you don't work. You dont get paid. You have to plan for it. Unfortunately to many people don't plan for a rainy day. I would think that the seasoned government employee that may have gone through this before has a fund set aside. The younger or newer employees might not have.
Talkjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:14 PM   #34

Those who are furloughed will not be receiving a pay check according to a person I know who is in that position. Those who are working will be receiving a retroactive paycheck.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:27 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
If you go to the Dr you are being paid for not working and it is not a vacation... if you have a baby and are paid for not working it is not a vacation... sure, it is PTO but calling it a vacation is a stretch IMO...
PRO would be a better description.some government employees are in that situation.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:44 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkjk View Post
Planning for a rainy day is part of being a construction worker. Your job as a construction tradesman is to work yourself out of a job. As your trade wraps up the portion of the building you hope that the sales team has a new job for you to move too. But typicaly you get laid off or sit at home for days or weeks waiting for the next big jod to start. If weather is bad you don't work. You dont get paid. You have to plan for it. Unfortunately to many people don't plan for a rainy day. I would think that the seasoned government employee that may have gone through this before has a fund set aside. The younger or newer employees might not have.
I was a govt employee. When I was younger a longer shutdown at the wrong time would have caused me some hardship. But when I got older I would have enjoyed one.

Construction workers learn very early that there will be times with no work, but it's easy for a full time employee to get complacent...especially if they're government workers. But if construction workers were given the same hours and benefits of govt employees then they'd probably act exactly the same. People are people.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:37 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Back to the OP, shutdowns generally seem fairly benign since the feds go out of their way to avoid catastrophes by requiring "essential" personnel to work without pay but that doesn't mean nothing is getting screwed up in the background. It is just that you don't see it and therefore wonder if it needs being done. In many cases only a handful of people are directly involved and feel the pain, while the rest of us snicker about no effect. Think farmers who don't get subsidies, grants not processed, firms that spent time and money preparing contract proposals left hanging. If criminal investigations fall behind, we would never notice but the delay could derail prosecutions and society as a whole is effected.

It makes sense to question the value of specific programs and to vote accordingly. It makes no sense to even allow politicians to use shutdowns (or debt ceilings) as bludgeons to coerce action.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:12 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallCityDave View Post
I certainly don't envy their position but I wouldn't complain if it happened to me.... perhaps I do envy their position
I mentioned on another thread that we met a couple of furlough'ed folks down here on the beach in Florida. They were from somewhere cold up north and decided to take advantage of the time off and get some beach time.

I know not everyone can do this but they apparently had set aside some savings and were trying to make the best of a bad situation.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:16 AM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
Your assumptions are mostly incorrect...... People are working without getting paid.
That's why there was no number of persons not working. FYI... the government allows necessary persons to work in all departments and some departments are still funded. Others are furloughed... not working. Many, who expect to be paid eventually, are working without any guarantee they will be paid.

Quote:
Not sure what job you did for a living, but were you necessary in the first Place? --- Just asking.
Was that a necessary question? ... Just sayin'
Old 01-25-2019, 07:21 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post

His point was, that for a very large swath who are furloughed and not working, they will be paid.

All the other statements/questions raised are applicable and relevant as a result.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote