Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #21

Aww, Puzzley, that is awesome, what a tribute to your best friend!

Here's the much loved Anna, who will be put to sleep tonight by our vets at her beloved home, after four good years with us. Such a great personality, and even if she only had a couple of teeth, she's still a smiler! We will miss her but wouldn't have traded a minute of her life with us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Annabanana.JPG (27.5 KB, 118 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I wouldn't have kids if you paid me to have them!
Imagine how your folks felt.......

Old 11-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I got my dog when I was going through a stressful period at work. I figured a golden retriever would get me out walking and help relieve the stress. She did the trick and more. Great companion for me, my mother and aunt. They keep her during a portion of the day. I would be cut out of their wills if I stopped bringing her over.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
They don't usually need worming !
It's obvious that you didn't grow up on a farm.

(Neither did I.) But my vet did. When one of my dogs got worms I asked how the hell did that happen? And the vet asked "Didn't you have worms as a kid?" Everyone in his farming home town had been dewormed at least once as a child.

Mike D.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I love dogs and cats, and have had about eight over my lifetime, but it seems to me that the disadvantages are overwhelming:
  • limits your mobility (both daily and vacation-wise)
  • possible barking/neighbor problem
  • potentially smelly house
  • hair on everything
  • wild animals brought into the house
  • house/thing damage (esp with puppies/kittens)
  • dirty paws
  • accidents
  • vet and food bills ($4K to $38K over animal's life)
  • wakes you up
  • wants walk when you want couch
  • liability issues
  • worming treatments
  • sad when they die
Even with all the disadvantages....it's still worth it!
Old 11-08-2007, 06:00 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Three ~100lb slobbering lumps and three 10-20lb urinators.
That is a LOT of pet food, and poop to clean

my 3lb yorkie makes tiny poops...i always marvel when i see the big dogs go potty...and the owner patiently waiting to scoop it up! that's love for ya.

at least kids potty train by 3...
Old 11-08-2007, 06:21 PM   #27

Quote:
We will miss her but wouldn't have traded a minute of her life with us.
Sarah,
So sorry to hear of your loss. My daughter has a dog that looks just like Anna -- what a great personality and one of the smartest dogs I've ever met.

Yes, our animal friends are sometimes a PITA, but on the other hand, the amount of pure joy and unconditional love they bring into our lives is well worth it IMHO.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #28

My mom's cat recently got very sick and was put down. Grumpiest cat ever! But my daughter really liked it for some odd reason (it had bitten me, my mom a few times and my daughter once) and still cries spontaneously if she thinks about it! At least she learns about the circle of life...
Old 11-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Aww, Puzzley, that is awesome, what a tribute to your best friend!

Here's the much loved Anna, who will be put to sleep tonight by our vets at her beloved home, after four good years with us. Such a great personality, and even if she only had a couple of teeth, she's still a smiler! We will miss her but wouldn't have traded a minute of her life with us.
Sarah:

It's so hard to lose a good friend like Anna. Our pets enrich our lives in so many ways and it is so sad to see them go. I have found, with my previous pets, that the memories of them still make me smile, even after they are gone. I hope it is the same for you.

Best wishes,

Gumby
Old 11-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #30

I've had pets all my life. But now that I'm am soon to be retired, I've decided that after my cat and dog are gone, I will restrain myself from picking up strays. They are both around 13. The cat is fine. The dog recently has become diabetic and blind. I found her about 5 years ago. Today on my way to the retirement board I saw a confused dog wandering in the street. Normally I would have tried to at least stop and call the dog. But this time I kept right on driving. People do not take care of their pets in this county. It's a real problem here in So. Cal.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yeah, but I married him anyway.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You didn't live in our neighborhood Moemg! Buncha southern young'uns wandering around in the yard with no shoes on...well, you get the idea.
Hookworm?

Ha
Old 11-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I love dogs and cats, and have had about eight over my lifetime, but it seems to me that the disadvantages are overwhelming:
We had 'em too TA, but are pet-free since since our last kitty was put down (following about 2 kilobux of vet bills attempting to have her be the worlds oldest kitty) four years ago.

I loved the way we named her. She was a stray that DW starting leaving food for out on the patio. We started calling her the "patio kitty." After a few months, DW started propping the door open and sitting the food dish inside and, of course, pretty soon she was living in here with us.

One evening down at the Irish Mill (a local pub) we were talking about her and DW referred to her as "patio kitty." But, what I heard was "Paddy O'Kitty." And that became her name.

Now we're waiting for friends to be pet-free so they're able to visit and travel without pet-sitting issues. We had an interesting episode this weekend when friends who were spending a long weekend with us called from their car, half way here, and said their normal dog-sitter was ill and their 100 lb golden lab was coming with them! We're not set up for that kind of intrusion. It was a nightmare! What were they thinking?
Old 11-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #34

I have posted here before about the major expenses of treating our cat's hyperthyroid condition. Suffice it to say that the most contented part of my day is the late morning. I sit down in the recliner with the newspaper and a cup of good coffee. The sun is coming in the window, the woods behind the house are beautiful. Our 15 year old cat, Pyewacket, curls up in my lap and purrs. It doesn't get any better than that for me.

Grumpy
Old 11-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #35

Even after all the hardships that I have had this year with my cats, I would still adopt without a doubt in my mind. There is no price on the absolute unconditional love and joy that they have given to me. They have such great little personalities and little quirks that make it worthwhile to have them in my life. To be able to care for them regardless of how hard it may be at times if they are sick, is an absolute blessing. The fact that they cannot talk back is also another one!
In some ways, I think building a bond with an animal is even greater than the ones we build with people.....and that in itself is priceless.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:14 AM   #36

tim the tool man taylor and wife were putting together their will which upset tim to face mortality. one of the issues was what becomes of the children if they were to die. tim says "that's why we decided to have children instead of dogs: they last longer."

buddha said "all of life is suffering." all of life is suffering because of attachments. when we bring love into our lives, whether it is a partner or a child or a friend or a pet, somewhere inside we know that intrinsic to that love is the potential for pain. you will feel your partner's troubles; your child might disappoint you; a friend can leave you, your pet will likely die before you.

but this does not stop us from living life. now is there any good to this pain? actually yes. because pain provides opportunity to practice compassion. we learn to comfort our partners and ourselves, we learn to accept or let go of what we can not change.

i love my new car. the first time a rock fell off a dump truck on the highway, bounced and took a chip off the perfectly smooth surface of the stang's hood, it was like a boulder crushing my heart. thank god for touch-up paint and the fact that i've aged so my eyes aren't what they used to be. i hardly know it's there.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
That is a LOT of pet food, and poop to clean
I'm working on a plan to have them eat their own fur. So far its not working out that well. But the dogs demonstrate a willingness to eat the cat poop. The cats arent that interested in reciprocating. Ornery little things.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Mike, I'm with you--my pets are priceless but I wouldn't have kids if you paid me to have them! That whole list applies to children for sure--especially the worming treatments!
Ok........if you'veenver had kids how do you know this?

Actually, I've had both in the same house, and I'll take the KIDS everytime.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I certainly understand those sentiments. I'd really enjoy having a dog again, but for me, the scale tips towards the simplicity of no pets.

I recently did some pet sitting for a friend's large dog, thinking "This is great, I can have the fun of a pet without the disadvantages." After five minutes in our house he peed on the living room carpet that we'd installed one week earlier.

Quote:
Plus
Kills the %^&# mice before they get into the house
We had one cat who brought in live birds, mice, rats, and lizards constantly. We had a silhouette chart on the fridge, with over 20 figures on it.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:33 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah...I had a mostly dead medium size rat laid on my bare thigh while sleeping once.

Good times...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote