Sick and Dying Dogs and Cats

Three ~100lb slobbering lumps and three 10-20lb urinators.

That is a LOT of pet food, and poop to clean :p

my 3lb yorkie makes tiny poops...i always marvel when i see the big dogs go potty...and the owner patiently waiting to scoop it up! :eek: that's love for ya.

at least kids potty train by 3...:D

We will miss her but wouldn't have traded a minute of her life with us.

Sarah,
So sorry to hear of your loss. My daughter has a dog that looks just like Anna -- what a great personality and one of the smartest dogs I've ever met.

Yes, our animal friends are sometimes a PITA, but on the other hand, the amount of pure joy and unconditional love they bring into our lives is well worth it IMHO.

My mom's cat recently got very sick and was put down. Grumpiest cat ever! But my daughter really liked it for some odd reason (it had bitten me, my mom a few times and my daughter once) and still cries spontaneously if she thinks about it! At least she learns about the circle of life...

Aww, Puzzley, that is awesome, what a tribute to your best friend!

Here's the much loved Anna, who will be put to sleep tonight by our vets at her beloved home, after four good years with us. Such a great personality, and even if she only had a couple of teeth, she's still a smiler! We will miss her but wouldn't have traded a minute of her life with us.

Sarah:

It's so hard to lose a good friend like Anna. Our pets enrich our lives in so many ways and it is so sad to see them go. I have found, with my previous pets, that the memories of them still make me smile, even after they are gone. I hope it is the same for you.

Best wishes,

Gumby

I've had pets all my life. But now that I'm am soon to be retired, I've decided that after my cat and dog are gone, I will restrain myself from picking up strays. They are both around 13. The cat is fine. The dog recently has become diabetic and blind. I found her about 5 years ago. Today on my way to the retirement board I saw a confused dog wandering in the street. Normally I would have tried to at least stop and call the dog. But this time I kept right on driving. People do not take care of their pets in this county. It's a real problem here in So. Cal.

I love dogs and cats, and have had about eight over my lifetime, but it seems to me that the disadvantages are overwhelming:

We had 'em too TA, but are pet-free since since our last kitty was put down (following about 2 kilobux of vet bills attempting to have her be the worlds oldest kitty) four years ago.

I loved the way we named her. She was a stray that DW starting leaving food for out on the patio. We started calling her the "patio kitty." After a few months, DW started propping the door open and sitting the food dish inside and, of course, pretty soon she was living in here with us.

One evening down at the Irish Mill (a local pub) we were talking about her and DW referred to her as "patio kitty." But, what I heard was "Paddy O'Kitty." And that became her name. :D

Now we're waiting for friends to be pet-free so they're able to visit and travel without pet-sitting issues. We had an interesting episode this weekend when friends who were spending a long weekend with us called from their car, half way here, and said their normal dog-sitter was ill and their 100 lb golden lab was coming with them! :eek: We're not set up for that kind of intrusion. It was a nightmare! What were they thinking? :rant:

I have posted here before about the major expenses of treating our cat's hyperthyroid condition. Suffice it to say that the most contented part of my day is the late morning. I sit down in the recliner with the newspaper and a cup of good coffee. The sun is coming in the window, the woods behind the house are beautiful. Our 15 year old cat, Pyewacket, curls up in my lap and purrs. It doesn't get any better than that for me.

Grumpy

Even after all the hardships that I have had this year with my cats, I would still adopt without a doubt in my mind. There is no price on the absolute unconditional love and joy that they have given to me. They have such great little personalities and little quirks that make it worthwhile to have them in my life. To be able to care for them regardless of how hard it may be at times if they are sick, is an absolute blessing. The fact that they cannot talk back is also another one!
In some ways, I think building a bond with an animal is even greater than the ones we build with people.....and that in itself is priceless.

tim the tool man taylor and wife were putting together their will which upset tim to face mortality. one of the issues was what becomes of the children if they were to die. tim says "that's why we decided to have children instead of dogs: they last longer."

buddha said "all of life is suffering." all of life is suffering because of attachments. when we bring love into our lives, whether it is a partner or a child or a friend or a pet, somewhere inside we know that intrinsic to that love is the potential for pain. you will feel your partner's troubles; your child might disappoint you; a friend can leave you, your pet will likely die before you.

but this does not stop us from living life. now is there any good to this pain? actually yes. because pain provides opportunity to practice compassion. we learn to comfort our partners and ourselves, we learn to accept or let go of what we can not change.

i love my new car. the first time a rock fell off a dump truck on the highway, bounced and took a chip off the perfectly smooth surface of the stang's hood, it was like a boulder crushing my heart. thank god for touch-up paint and the fact that i've aged so my eyes aren't what they used to be. i hardly know it's there.

That is a LOT of pet food, and poop to clean :p

I'm working on a plan to have them eat their own fur. So far its not working out that well. But the dogs demonstrate a willingness to eat the cat poop. The cats arent that interested in reciprocating. Ornery little things.

Mike, I'm with you--my pets are priceless but I wouldn't have kids if you paid me to have them! That whole list applies to children for sure--especially the worming treatments!

Ok........if you'veenver had kids how do you know this? :rolleyes:

Actually, I've had both in the same house, and I'll take the KIDS everytime.........;)

I certainly understand those sentiments. I'd really enjoy having a dog again, but for me, the scale tips towards the simplicity of no pets.

I recently did some pet sitting for a friend's large dog, thinking "This is great, I can have the fun of a pet without the disadvantages." After five minutes in our house he peed on the living room carpet that we'd installed one week earlier.

Plus
Kills the %^&# mice before they get into the house

We had one cat who brought in live birds, mice, rats, and lizards constantly. We had a silhouette chart on the fridge, with over 20 figures on it.

Oh yeah...I had a mostly dead medium size rat laid on my bare thigh while sleeping once.

Good times...

We think our bunny is nearly seven years old (he was a stray picked up by the Humane Society). Typical bunny lifespans are 10-14 years.

That means he's going to be mighty mature when our daughter goes off to college in three years, and I'm not looking forward to delivering the inevitable news to her someday.

I can only vaguely tally up the thousands of dollars of property damage he's caused, the hundreds of dollars of "maintenance" vet bills, and the hundreds of hours we've spend adjusting our lives to meet his demanding standards. Every day I wonder who's really the superior being in this house... I don't even make the top three.

OTOH he's helped our kid demystify & deglamorize the commitment & labor required by a pet. He's taught her about responsibility. He's taught her a lot about what it means to be an authority figure. He's taught her how to deal with happiness, pain, & sorrow. She's learned a lot from an oversized rodent with the brain of a walnut.

I guess we've learned a lot too. But after he goes to his great reward, next time I want to pet a bunny I'm just going to hang out at the pet shop for 20 minutes.

A typical healthy dog or cat can give you a decade or more of happiness and affection. And yes, the pain of losing them sucks but overall I think we come out ahead by having them in our lives.

We lost a cat to kidney failure and anemia in 2002 after having her for nine years. The first few weeks were difficult and very sad. But time has a way of making the pain fade even as the happy memories are preserved.

I think it is so heartbreaking, because they are such wonderful companions.

I am a big fan of Boxers, and sadly they do not tend to live very long. Utterly crushes me when one passes on, but that crushing comes because they are such incredible animals.

boxer.jpg

I just turned 55 and got myself a Jack Russell terrier puppy for my birthday.
While I had an easy life without many responsibilities, I'm really enjoying being a dog owner.

We take walks everyday, she's making me be more active so I make sure she gets her exercise. She's a very active dog, and I'm enjoying every minute of it. I hope to be able to return the rugs to the hardwood floors and take down the baby gates soon.

She's almost house broken now; not sure how to train her to stay out of the catbox though. I'd be heartbroken is something happened to her but wouldn't give her up for anything.

I gladly admit I am a dog and cat person, but my family knows I am a sucker for other non-humans, too.

So, we've had two horses that I would never ride. I am terrified of horses ever since I was thrown and dragged by one in my teens. So, while my daughter rode, I was the assigned groom -- and discovered I enjoyed grooming them as a stress reliever (mine, not theirs!).

And we have one goldfish -- the survivor of two that a well-meaning friend gave my daughter 12 YEARS AGO. Yup, I have one 12 year old goldfish who has grown to about six inches long. I keep saying that I'm going to fillet him/her/it when it dies, but the reality is, I'll miss it when it finally dies. (How long can a goldfish live anyway:confused:)

But my least favorite pet was the African tree frog that my daughter bought with her allowance years ago. This thing was about the size of my thumbnail and ate live crickets, which I would buy from the pet store every week. I asked the store owner how long I might expect this thing to live and he responded that he never knew of one to last more than about 3 or 4 months. OK, I thought, I can survive this. Well, who knew that I was the tree frog whisperer? The $#@* thing lived nearly 4 YEARS...and every week I spent $1 for a dozen live crickets for him/her/it to eat....and every week I cussed out the store owner for selling my daughter that animal in the first place! Then one day, I saw that the crickets were still alive in the frog's tank although the frog had died. I drew the line at keeping crickets as pets and let them go free in the woods behind my house! Enough was enough!

OK, so Lucy is dying. She has GME, a neurological disorder. If I describe what it makes her do, you run to the moderator and cry in disgust. Whatever. She's on 2 different immune suppresants, steroids and an antiacid. Today she starts alternating one of the drugs. I'm responsible for keeping track. Did she get 1/2 this, today or not? Split the pills to save money. My wife can't even remember what the vet said. Shop around. Costco, Canada, :confused: It's serious business. It's reality. I can't explain or you go cry to your mommy. Talk to me. I'm an adult. This is what it is. It's serious, serious business. Lucy is my dog. She was the Michael Jordan of dogs: now she staggers from side to side. This is what pet ownership is about.

OK, so Lucy is dying. She has GME, a neurological disorder. If I describe what it makes her do, you run to the moderator and cry in disgust. Whatever. She's on 2 different immune suppresants, steroids and an antiacid. Today she starts alternating one of the drugs. I'm responsible for keeping track. Did she get 1/2 this, today or not? Split the pills to save money. My wife can't even remember what the vet said. Shop around. Costco, Canada, :confused: It's serious business. It's reality. I can't explain or you go cry to your mommy. Talk to me. I'm an adult. This is what it is. It's serious, serious business. Lucy is my dog. She was the Michael Jordan of dogs: now she staggers from side to side. This is what pet ownership is about.

OK, so here is where the pet-lovers vary all over the board. I am a confirmed and strong dog-person, always will be. But for a million reasons (of which very few are financial), I have never engaged in heroic or extraordinary medical care for my dogs. All the routine care, immunizations, visits for acute problems, of course.

But if it came to major trauma and life support, kidney, liver or heart failure, cancer, or any other major health event, I would do whatever was necessary for their comfort but not anything beyond that. Part of it is that I hate to see them suffer, and that kind of care can cause suffering. Also, I feel they are put in this world for their alloted 10-15 years and you quickly reach the point of diminishing returns with lots of time, worry, and cost for the remaining few years.

Mostly, though, they are not people. They may have a lot to teach us humans, but in the end, I always felt I owed to them peace and comfort, rather than staggeringly expensive and short-lived heroic measures with small returns and major sacrifices. I sometimes wonder whether the "dog approach" might be better in some ways for many of my patients, but that's another story.

OK, so here is where the pet-lovers vary all over the board. I am a confirmed and strong dog-person, always will be. But for a million reasons (of which very few are financial), I have never engaged in heroic or extraordinary medical care for my dogs. All the routine care, immunizations, visits for acute problems, of course.

But if it came to major trauma and life support, kidney, liver or heart failure, cancer, or any other major health event, I would do whatever was necessary for their comfort but not anything beyond that. Part of it is that I hate to see them suffer, and that kind of care can cause suffering. Also, I feel they are put in this world for their alloted 10-15 years and you quickly reach the point of diminishing returns with lots of time, worry, and cost for the remaining few years.

Mostly, though, they are not people. They may have a lot to teach us humans, but in the end, I always felt I owed to them peace and comfort, rather than staggeringly expensive and short-lived heroic measures with small returns and major sacrifices. I sometimes wonder whether the "dog approach" might be better in some ways for many of my patients, but that's another story.

That's how I've dealt with cats over the years (put down five in five years as they got old and decrepit).

I have asked the vet: "How much better is he going to get?"

I hope, when the time comes, that I can ask the same question/solution for myself.

Bigritchie that is one beautiful dog!

ronin, so sorry for Lucy.

Our Golden, Shadoe, was just 8 yrs old and passed away peacefully in his sleep back in May.

Boru, the Airedale, is starting to show signs of arthritis in colder weather. He is also just over 8 yrs old.

Buddy, the Chocolate Lab, is somewhere around 4 or 5 years old. He hasn't lost a step, fast as lightening. He will chase balls until he can't even run, but he loves it. Boru goes about halfway, then waits to ambush Buddy on the return trip and try to steal the ball.

Life without my dogs, inconceivable.

Back
Top Bottom