Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2007, 02:44 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

That sounds like positive news to me too!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, the roller coaster ride continues. We had a moderate relapse last week with some loss of coordination and balance. Seems like her left and right hemispheres aren't communicating too well. Upped the pred to daily with no change and now 2X daily with possibly some mild improvement in vision coordination today. Retested for toxoplasma to see if the first result has changed, if not, probably take her off the antibiotics (on for 3 wks now). Worried about side effects from the pred. Have her on pepsid. Vet talked about irradiating the brain and/or seeing oncologist for poss lymphoma. I get the feeling my savings account will run out before the end of possible avenues to explore. If she doesn't respond to the pred we may just taper her off and let nature take it's course. I don't want to put her through hell. She'll do anything I ask of her.... sigh.... poor girl.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #23

I am so sorry that she is not responding to the meds. I feel for your you in your situation. I hope that they figure it out and she recovers.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #24

What a helpless situation to be in...so sorry for you and your pup. I hope the treatments work and you have many many more wonderful memories together.

Last year I went thru months and months of tests and treatments for my beloved Lab who had cancer and I knew in my heart and from the tests at a certain point that she was not going to get better.

One day, she looked at me and I just knew that she was telling me that she had enough. Our vet made sure she did not suffer but letting her go was one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do and I still miss her greatly.

Amazing that these critters take hold of such a large part of our hearts...
Old 08-09-2007, 10:02 PM   #25

Ronin:

I am sorry to hear that....I've been through the same thing with my cat, Micro earlier this year....he had toxic mega colon....and when the meds didn't work, they needed to do a colectomy.....he gave me that look as well and I held him in my arms as they put him to sleep. I am sure that she knows how much you love her and that you are trying to help. It is not easy, but I think it takes a strong person to love and take care of an animal.

Achiever....you are not kidding....they just take over your heart, you world, and your life.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #26

Thanks for the support. It gets discouraging at times. You all know 1st hand. I've raised dogs for 30 yrs, so I've been through a lot of this before. It just doesn't get any easier. Seems the 2X daily dose of pred has eased some of the symptoms (she was out chasing possums with Karly in the middle of last night), but I'll have to wait and see what happens at this point.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #27

Thoughts and prayers for you and Lucy. Lost my four legged furry child in 2003 to cancer. It just sucks to go through this. {{hugs}}
Old 08-10-2007, 03:46 PM   #28

Sorry to hear about the downturn, Ronin. I've had dogs on pred. for long periods of time, it didn't seem to have much negative effect for them.

I hope things look up soon.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:44 AM   #29

Just a quick update: the pred is the magic potion. She seems to be stabilized on 1 a day after the 2 day moved her back into normality almost immediately. Second toxoplasma test was neg, so she's off the massive antibiotic doses. Doc says we'll keep her on this maintainence level of pred for quite a while until trying to taper her off. So far so good.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #30

Awesome! I am so glad that it is working out!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #31

Great News! I'm so glad to hear it Ronin.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #32

That is good news. You know we'll be needing new pictures, right?
Old 10-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #33

Latest...

The pred is not holding her very well, so.... now we're going to add cyclosporin, an immunosuppressant to the mix in hopes of slowing the progress of these symptoms, and tapering her off the pred. She's had some significant muscle wasting on the steroid. Wrangling with the vet's office to get a dosage that doesn't have to be specially compounded to avoid having to administer liquid daily.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #34

Final news, sadly, we had to put our precious little girl down yesterday. Unfortunately, on top of everything else she had developed a nasty case of squamous cell carcinoma on her belly (she was a light skinned sun bather, take note!). After a couple of surgeries, it kept coming roaring back and after having a large lymph gland in her thigh area removed, she couldn't drain the lymph fluid that accumulated in her hind leg. It got bad, and we tried everything. What a super little dog! I miss her so.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:21 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Final news, sadly, we had to put our precious little girl down yesterday. Unfortunately, on top of everything else she had developed a nasty case of squamous cell carcinoma on her belly (she was a light skinned sun bather, take note!). After a couple of surgeries, it kept coming roaring back and after having a large lymph gland in her thigh area removed, she couldn't drain the lymph fluid that accumulated in her hind leg. It got bad, and we tried everything. What a super little dog! I miss her so.
I'm very sorry.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry too. Very hard to lose a pet.

You did so much for her.

Ha
Old 03-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Tough deal. Best wishes.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

ronin, I'm so sorry for your loss. As a shelter volunteer, I worked with many pits and pit mixes and discovered what wonderful dogs they are. She was fortunate to share her life with someone who loved her so much and will always be with you in your memories.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

So sorry to read this latest update. She was lucky to have you taking care of her.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #40

So sorry for your loss. I hope you can take some comfort from knowing that you did all you could for your pup...and that all dogs go to heaven.