Join Early Retirement Today

Significance of Expiration Date on Credit Card
Old 08-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Significance of Expiration Date on Credit Card

I know I'm always asked for this expiration date when ordering stuff online or by phone so I have assumed you can't complete the transaction if that info is not given. This month my municipal utility noted an upcoming expiration date coming up in a few months and requested the new date which seems in agreement.

Yet I have my local phone, cellphone, and CATV bills autopaid to a credit card and am quite sure they've never asked and I've never called in a new expiration date. My mail order pharmacy also has billed an order to a card to which I had never given them the new expiration date.

How are these two views compatible? Do large national companies (ATT, Comcast) get treated differently? Or is the expiration date not really necessary?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmm...on every account I have tied to a credit card, I have always gotten notice that the expiration date is coming up. I can't think of a single instance where I wasn't notified to be honest.
hakuna matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Expiration date is part of the card verification at first, I suspect.

I've noticed some companies insist that I give them a new date after expiry, but others not. I suspect that companies doing regular monthly billing that doesn't require annual renewal have some leeway with the credit card companies. I think once I noticed one company magically had the new expiry date.

I did have a company terminate a subscription when it tried to auto renew after the expiry date.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Expiration date is part of the card verification at first, I suspect.

I've noticed some companies insist that I give them a new date after expiry, but others not. I suspect that companies doing regular monthly billing that doesn't require annual renewal have some leeway with the credit card companies. I think once I noticed one company magically had the new expiry date.

I did have a company terminate a subscription when it tried to auto renew after the expiry date.
I'm beginning to suspect there are cliques whose computers talk to each other. My credit cards are autopaid via a broker checking account. Once the broker changed the account........including the bank.......but didn't tell me anything about the change. Yet the credit cards kept getting paid.
The broker told me I could continue to use the old checks at my risk.....meaning someday they might not work.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

All of our (scheduled) bills are paid by automatically billing a Credit Card. I have, in all cases, been asked to update" my account around the expiration date... sometimes after (Grrrrr).

BTW, the verification number on the back of the card is dependent on the expiration date (among other things).
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I had a few cards replaced as a security precaution and yet some of my auto pay nonprofit donations keep rolling along on a dead, expired card.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote