Signs that one is getting old

Some examples...

While I was still w*rking....doing the math, when I graduated from college, my direct supervisor was probably still in grade school.

Just walking..all these young folks pass me and that used to be me passing all the "older folks"

Saying stuff like, "Remember back when there were things like record players?"

When I told a young co-worker at Megacorp that back in the day at Megacorp we got a raise in pay every July when we paid out our Social Security and he looked at me like I was crazy.

1) When Alice Kramden starts to look sexy.
2) When the President of the United States is younger than you.

LOL @ Alice Kramden.

I am not quite there on the U.S. President being younger than me (he has me by 2 years), but I recall seeing the first major statewide office holders (governors and senators) being younger than me back in the 2000s. Senator Sununu (NH) and Governor Henry (OK), both elected in 2002, were younger than me. Later came Governor Palin (AK) who, as we know, went onto the national ticket in 2008 at age 44.

More and more senators and governors being elected are younger than me, including one of my own U.S. Senators, Gillibrand (New York).

I started to feel old when an Airman showed up at Cavalier AFS that was born after I started working there.

The soldiers looked like young boys.
What makes you feel old?
A few years ago we ran across a class of submarine prospective commanding officers. When I was a junior officer, my COs looked older than God-- only with more authority and power. These days the PCOs are O-5s with 15-16 years of Navy service, at the top of their game, and on the fast track to O-6.

Yet those lean & hungry steely-eyed killers of the deep looked so young that I thought their mommies had to sign their travel orders.

Two other things that make me feel old:
1. When you have uniforms older than some of the sailors at your command.
2. When you make those involuntary grunting noises while you're trying to claw your way up out of your double-wide recliner... and even worse, when you make them again as you're sinking back down into it.

What makes me feel young is being able to spar with the "kids" at our taekwondo dojang. They still fear my cunning, deceit, and right hook.

Looking over at the car in the next lane and wondering "why is a child driving that car?"

Hearing from my best-college-friend recently that her daughter just graduated from high school. My friend and I realized simultaneously that her daughter is now the age we were during some of our "wild years".

What makes me feel old is after sparring the young bull pups in MA or TKD, and seeing them the next day, ready for round two and rematch. I don't recover as fast as I used to.

For the guys, anyway, when you resolve to:

• Never pass up a chance to urinate
  • Never waste an erection
  • Never trust a phart

When you realize your days of hotness are behind you !

The other day a friend of ours (aged 68) suddenly unzipped her jacket and started wafting cold air onto herself, saying, "Oh dear, I'm having a 'tropical' moment". She then said that one time when that happened a lady friend of hers said, "I'm jealous, it must be nice to still some hormones left".

Just maybe she knows you - inside and out !

Did the nurse during your colonoscopy tell you that you looked familiar.

:LOL: She was very chatty, and I remember having a conversation but not what I said. Given the fact that I was all drugged up, with by backside exposed, I don't even want to think about the pathetic drivel I must have been saying.

While we've been in England we use the buses a lot, and I feel old when there is standing room only, and someone gets up to offer me their seat.

I don't think my opthalmologist is in his 40s yet. My last boss before I ER was not in his 40s yet. My dentist is definitely not even 35. I stopped looking at myself too closely in the mirror some time ago - just too many pigmentations and wrinkles. When I go on a holiday, I don't pass a toilet stop. I think twice before eating nuts as they may be too hard for my teeth to crunch on. I panic when I fall down in case I break a not too high density bone, etc. I read somewhere that aging should be viewed as the final accomplishment of life rather than as a time following one's peak achievements. Well, I'm going to look forward to growing old or aging (despite its ugliness) and keep myself as young at heart.

Realizing that I remember B&W TV, having one rotary dial telephone in the house, headlight dimmer switches on the floor, owning a car for which the manual stated that a heater and windshield wipers were options. Working on cars with six-volt electrical systems.

Buying 45 rpm and 33 1/3 rpm vinyl records. Having stereo sound was a big deal.

Air conditioning, clothes dryers and dishwashing machines were luxuries that I only read about.

Writing papers for school with a manual typewriter. I bought white-out by the quart.

Even though I don't follow baseball the way I used to in the 1970s and 1980s, I feel old when (a) nearly all of today's managers were players I followed a lot in their and my heyday, (b) several players today are sons of players I followed a lot in their and my heyday, and (c) sadly, players I followed a lot in their and my heyday are dying but not from old age.

Realizing that I remember B&W TV, having one rotary dial telephone in the house, headlight dimmer switches on the floor, owning a car for which the manual stated that a heater and windshield wipers were options. Working on cars with six-volt electrical systems.

Buying 45 rpm and 33 1/3 rpm vinyl records. Having stereo sound was a big deal.

Air conditioning, clothes dryers and dishwashing machines were luxuries that I only read about.

Writing papers for school with a manual typewriter. I bought white-out by the quart.

A steering wheel knob on the '57 Chevy. Darn near broke my hand a couple of times!

Leftovers were heated in the oven or on top of the stove.

Ice cube trays - the silver ones with the lever.

Defrosting the freezer part of the fridge.

Butter only came in a block or stick. And it was hard!

Cartons of milk you had to fiddle with to open (Remember when Bordens came out with the new carton that was easier to open?)

Cars were washed by hand.

Big Chief tablets.

Pony tails for girls and butch cuts for guys were the only acceptable hair styles.

Gas wars - $.17/gallon days

When you realize your days of hotness are behind you !
When I look at myself in the mirror and mentally compare with my younger self, I can see there is a lot behind me.

When I realize the elementary school students I teach (4th/5th grade) were born after September 11, 2001, and have lived their whole lives in a post-9/11 world.

How about this from my sister....

When you teach 3rd grade and you teach the kids of some of your students... she left before she got a grandkid :ROFLMAO:

[youtube]Q7xCtAOl-rc[/youtube]

Similar to the bathroom signs others have written, for me just getting through the night without having to go to the bathroom is a most pleasant happening now.

Surely a sign of getting old is looking for signs of getting old.

Noticing age differences at the ice skating rink. The instructor tells a six year old to jump, turn, slide or whatever. I look at it in passing by and consider, do I really want to jump, slide etc. ? Then I try it.:LOL:

When a telephone conversation always begins with the current ailments, results of recent doctor's visits and who all passed since the last conversation.

When we talk to DH's parents (about once a month) you can bank on the conversation starting with 15 minutes on the above topics.

I'm really hoping that when I'm their age (72, 76) I'll have more going in my life than the current ailments, but I'm not holding my breath!

I went to a room to do/get something and forgot what that something is.

Back
Top Bottom