Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Haaar -ummp! How come the Pats didn't win when I threw in the towel and admited they had a good football team.
As I understand it, the Pats had to take a dive on the game. Given that the Sox whup the Yankees all the time, had the Pats also kicked the Giants butts for a a second time in the same year, the newyawkers would have been relocating to MA in droves.

We'd have had hundreds of thousands of them wandering around the streets trying to correctly pronounce "harvard" and forcing themselves to realize that clam chowder isnt made with tomato juice.

Nor for that matter, is any other chowder. If you make it with tomato juice, its clam soup.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2008, 05:17 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I'm just guessing here, but it might be the references on their web page to "levitation" and to ESP that make people, ummhh, "skeptical" that this is really legit. I mean, I'm sure that there really ARE graduates of the Silva Method that can levitate their parts and who can read minds/the future, etc. How these people are managing to hide their powers from the rest of us is the real mystery.

I've known some Scientologists, which I'm sure has NOTHING in common with Jose's program. The first few sessions seemed okay to them, too. Then, for just a few more dollars they could get an "audit" and commence the clearing. Their wallets got cleared very well.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
My impression was that the Method worked on your memory and allowed you tap into the unconscious part of your brain. In other words, it is a system that starts teaching you how to use more of the brain that we currently do, which, I think, is some low amount like 10% of the brain we now use. So, we do have some room to grow there, right?
OK...I am getting the impression that nobody here has any empirical knowledge..sigh... It was worth a shot.
If you want to raise your cognitive function & memory, try reading the last couple chapters of "The Wisdom Paradox". The author has also developed a cognitive-performance lab but it's not widely available. In other words he could probably sell the services but it appears that he's not recruiting followers until the research bears it out.

I think we're capable of using much more than 10% of our brains but it's hard enough to maintain the parts we're actively using. Charlie Munger is a big fan of Goldberg's "templates" or filters for viewing the world and its problems, and he claims that's why investors get better as they get older. So there's a lot of science wrapped up in things like Silva, but it can cross over to the metaphysical side way too quickly.

Unlike L. Ron Hubbard's science fiction writings. (Per Justin's disclaimer, that's sarcasm.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I've known some Scientologists, which I'm sure has NOTHING in common with Jose's program. The first few sessions seemed okay to them, too. Then, for just a few more dollars they could get an "audit" and commence the clearing. Their wallets got cleared very well.
I had a sailor (qualified to launch nuclear weapons) who saved every spare penny of his E-5 paycheck for when he left the Navy to start his Scientology training. Four years later he achieved that ambition, still as an E-5.

(Gumby's smiling already. For those of you not familiar with submariners, most enlisted in the technical ratings finish their advanced training in the E-5 paygrade within two years of joining the Navy. Unless you have some real problems working with the advancement system, it's fairly straightforward to advance to E-6 or higher within an eight-year enlistement.)

The nuclear-inspection team had a really interesting interview with him... years later, now that I'm more widely read, I believe that he was coping with Asperger's. Here's hoping that we never ever read about him in the media.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:47 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Mind Control... I prefer mind relaxed! Technique - Beer!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:58 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thought that I should clear this up per SamClem: No, the Silva group doesn't keep sucking money out of you like the Scientologists, which is really a scam. You should read the Morton book that just came out on Tom Cruise to really get what a total scam Scientology is.
No, Silva offers say 6 courses, which teaches variations of tapping into your brain's unconscious. That's it. Sorta like college.
Silva and Scientology are totally different. I could see the validity of using the Silva Method for studying a subject what with all the techniques for bringing up memory that are buried (now exactly how do I divide with fractions?).
But, nobody here seems to know about it, so I will shut up. I wouldn't dare tell you guys a couple demonstrations I saw in my week there. You wouldn't believe me anyhow.
By the way, I am surprised to hear they talk about levitation. Never heard it mentioned before.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #26

I did find this on amazon.com:
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Silva Mind Control Method

Since someone mentioned levitation, I think they are talking about using the HAND to levitate from a table or your lap which is to trigger a trained response for memory. Silva used a bunch of little tricks to bring forth repressed memory. They are not talking about you standing and then rising upwards toward the heavens...uh...I think that's been done, anyway.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

When I saw this thread, I figured it might be a reference to the techniques used by journeyman MLB pitcher Carlos Silva to get the Mariners to pay him 12M/year.

ABC News: Mariners Sign RHP Silva to 4-Year Deal

Guess not!

Sure would be nice to get 12M a year for being average though!
Old 02-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

If "average" is worth $12m, then "sucky" should be worth a mil or two...

Sign me up!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Silva Mind Control
Old 02-25-2008, 04:28 AM   #29
Confused about dryer sheets

Silva Mind Control

Quote:
I was wondering if any board members practiced--or even know anything about--Silva Mind Control? This is a form of meditation and developing the ESP talents you have. Any opinion on it? (And, no, it has nothing to do with voodoo or witch doctoring.)
I just linked to this site after Googling "Silva Method." I just completed my registration but unfortunately, it's late and I need to get to bed.

I'm a graduate of The Silva Method (took the couse twice), NLP, Dale Carnegie, etc., etc., and just began reading Eckhart Tolle's book "A New Earth."

I'm looking forward to adding my two cents to this thread as soon as possible.

enigma
Old 02-25-2008, 04:44 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
2. Since this board is populated by pragmatists, would it not be practical to remember how to multiply fractions, remember the name of a long forgotten song or whatever is buried in your memory? THAT is what Silva is good for. Where did you get the mysticism angle from Silva?

**Please read Poboys' post from google above. Probably explains it better than I can.
I remember dabbling with SMC back in the late 60's,if i remember correctly it was very expensive at the time.If you just want to increase your memory power get into mnemonics Mnemonic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It helped me memorize a formula to solve the Rubik Cube and to memorize the sequence of a deck of cards.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:09 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Although I have no knowledge of Silva, there were a few comments about we use only 10% of our brain - sorry that's an urban legend.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Ten Percent of our Brains

As far as levitation goes, I remember levitating back in the 70's but it might have had something to do with the Hash I was smoking at the time
Old 02-25-2008, 08:33 AM   #32

NLP or neurolinguisting programming = a subject I really want to know about. Hope an enigma4u sees this and explains that one. I heard it is a very effective learning tool.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
... and to memorize the sequence of a deck of cards.
Does that help with Windows solitaire?

Can you do it with multi-deck blackjack shoes?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:43 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Does that help with Windows solitaire?

Can you do it with multi-deck blackjack shoes?
Helps a whole lot in various card games where it helps your odds if you know which cards remain with the dealer.