Join Early Retirement Today

Silva Mind Control?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Silva Mind Control?

I was wondering if any board members practiced--or even know anything about--Silva Mind Control? This is a form of meditation and developing the ESP talents you have. Any opinion on it? (And, no, it has nothing to do with voodoo or witch doctoring.)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Could not resist the urge to post this:

Old 02-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #3

...so, you are saying that you never heard of Silva? I hope someone here has as I am curious as to how they feel about it in general.
It seems it started in the 1965-70 era, along with Scientology, as I remember hearing about Silva, Dyanetics (Scientology book) and karate all about the same year. Lots of stuff came out during the '60's flower power era.
Somehow Scientology caught on, but Silva--surely beneficial compared to Scientology, in my mind--doesn't seem to have the interest that the other did, for some reason. Probably because Jose Silva wasn't the (what word can I find other than crook or bully) pusher that the originator of Scientology was. (Sorry to all you Scientologists, but I just read Andrew Morton's "Tom Cruise" biography, and was totally turned off to Scientology's ways.)
Silva was developed to teach his children to study in school better and to recall what they had learned better. He developed different techniques to enable one to tap into their unconscious. And who among us doesn't have senior moments now after 50?
But I am wondering if anyone on this board knows about it? Or has studied it at all?
Old 02-16-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I have not been through the Silva training but I do have a set of cd's that I use to help with pain management through meditation. Most of the concepts and exercises can be very helpful with stress reduction and keeping a good mental outlook - something I needed more when working full time. Not used very often now unless my rumatiz is kicking in. No big secrets but I consider it helpful.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Years ago took a Dale Carnegie Sales Training course and have read The Power of Positive Thinking, am not familiar with Silva, but after google found this:

Quote:
The Silva Method is based on the knowledge that how you think, believe and behave dictates your living experience. By making simple, positive changes, you can live a powerful life of your own design.
Sounds reasonable to me.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting question. I think in general this forum is populated by pragmatists and not mystics.

If the goal is to relax, there are many meditation techniques and progressive relaxation techniques that can help.

If the goal relates to consciousness, and "expanding awareness" or similar goals then there is plenty of dispute out there as to what meditation and similar techniques can do for you. Science knows almost nothing about consciousness. Plus, these techniques often have a religious component about them, Silva's included, that are off putting to some.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:43 AM   #7

1. No religious aspects whatsoever in Silva. Where did you ever get that?
2. Since this board is populated by pragmatists, would it not be practical to remember how to multiply fractions, remember the name of a long forgotten song or whatever is buried in your memory? THAT is what Silva is good for. Where did you get the mysticism angle from Silva?

**Please read Poboys' post from google above. Probably explains it better than I can.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
2. Since this board is populated by pragmatists, would it not be practical to remember how to multiply fractions, remember the name of a long forgotten song or whatever is buried in your memory? THAT is what Silva is good for.
Thank goodness for Google and Wikipedia!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:51 AM   #9

From what I understand all forms of meditation (mind control) tap into the same power ("essense" or whatever you want to call it). As many understand, you need to get control of your mind if you want to control your body. I have been reading and listening to Eckard Tolle for a while now who is an articulate thinker on the spiritual side of it.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:02 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I don't know much about it. It seems to be a large, probably mainstream, organization these days. Offers a lot of tutoring services for school kids. I vaguely remember that, back in the late 60s, they had an unsavory cult like reputation. I was a drug taking hippie at the time so the rumors must have been nasty to have seemed negative to me. But, I have nothing specific.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Well, instead of posting vague memories from the 60s, I should have thought to go straight to the source of all knowledge: the Wikipedia entry. Seems like it may be psuedoscience but I don't see any nasty cultish stuff.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I don't know much about it. It seems to be a large, probably mainstream, organization these days. Offers a lot of tutoring services for school kids.
Dude, are you talking about "Sylvan Learning Centers"?

Orchid, I think Martha is referring to the opinion formed by others from websites including this:
Quote:
The Silva Method (formerly Silva Mind Control) is a self-help program which claims to teach one how to increase one's IQ, develop clairvoyance and use the mind to heal the body and find God, among other things.
While conscious control of some autonomous systems of one's body has been documented by plenty of unbiased reproducible peer research other than Silva, I'm not so sure about the "finding God" part.

Not sure that you're going to get much unbiased reproducible peer-research response from this board, either...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was wondering if any board members practiced--or even know anything about--Silva Mind Control? This is a form of meditation and developing the ESP talents you have. Any opinion on it? (And, no, it has nothing to do with voodoo or witch doctoring.)
I'm a big supporter. In fact, I used advanced mind control to get you to post about it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
it has nothing to do with voodoo or witch doctoring.)
How so?
Old 02-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I'm a big supporter. In fact, I used advanced mind control to get you to post about it.
Haaar -ummp! How come the Pats didn't win when I threw in the towel and admited they had a good football team.

heh heh heh - I got lost way way back on this forum with Kones and the sound of one hand clapping.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #16

I have been trying to dance around this, but...damn! you guys are going to squeeeeze it out of me, aren't you? Well, when I was selling ads, I did some trade-out with Silva (no, donheff, not Sylvan...Silva), which meant I could take their basic one week course for free and, in turn, they got a free ad in my publication. A common practice.
OK, now I can definitely tell you that there was NO mention of God or religion, because I would have been outta there fast (not that I hate either, but just not interested in hearing about it from anyone).
My impression was that the Method worked on your memory and allowed you tap into the unconscious part of your brain. In other words, it is a system that starts teaching you how to use more of the brain that we currently do, which, I think, is some low amount like 10% of the brain we now use. So, we do have some room to grow there, right?
I was pretty impressed by what I saw there, but did not keep it up. Why? I just had too much crap to do with a business, house, kid, etc. etc. that to work at it, and you do have to practice at it daily. I regret not doing it now.
I totally agree with Nords' post about what The Silva Method teaches--except for the God part. God never came up at all, so I have no idea where that came from?
OK...I am getting the impression that nobody here has any empirical knowledge..sigh... It was worth a shot.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #17

Quote:
In other words, it is a system that starts teaching you how to use more of the brain that we currently do, which, I think, is some low amount like 10%. So, we do have some room to grow there, right?
Actually, we use all of our brain. Well, non-managers do any way.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Ten Percent of our Brains

Don't feel bad, it's a myth some doctors fall for until they think through it

7 Medical Myths Even Doctors Believe | LiveScience
Old 02-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I vaguely remember that, back in the late 60s, they had an unsavory cult like reputation. I was a drug taking hippie at the time so the rumors must have been nasty to have seemed negative to me.
You sure you're not confusing that with the Nixon white house?
Old 02-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In other words, it is a system that starts teaching you how to use more of the brain that we currently do, which, I think, is some low amount like 10% of the brain we now use. So, we do have some room to grow there, right?
</p>

See Urban Legends Reference Pages: Ten Percent of our Brains

That it appears as though I am only using 10% doesn't mean I am not all there.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

To paraphrase, I use 90% of my brain thinking about booze and broads, and the other 10% I use frivolously...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote