Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Silver Linings Playbook
Old 06-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Silver Linings Playbook

Nope....thank Thor it had a happy ending, but on the whole it sucked. Give me Stardust with De Niro any day....under-rated movie.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Yes, It Was an Exhausting Movie to Watch....
Old 06-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #2

Yes, It Was an Exhausting Movie to Watch....

but, as the parent of a bi-polar son, I wanted to stand up and cheer for the producer and screenwriter. There is a YouTube video in which Katie Couric interviews the producer, who made the movie to educate viewers on the nature of bipolar disorder. IMHO, he did a huge public service. As a parent who spent years taking my son to counselors, it was extremely difficult to explain what we were living with at home, while trying to raise him.

His behavior (especially off meds) was also hard to explain to friends and relatives who live far away. Now, if I need to explain, I can just recommend the movie. (I've also heard this from other people with loved ones who struggle with bipolar disorder).

At the end of Katie Couric's interview with the producer and actors who played the lead roles, she directs a question to Robert DeNiro, who is pretty quiet through the whole conversation. She asks him what it was like to play the dad in the movie. After a long pause, and with a breaking voice, DeNiro replies simply that his own family has faced similar struggles. It is one of the few times I've seen DeNiro find it hard to speak.

So, again IMO, I am thankful for the movie. What really "sucks" is mental illness and the toll it takes on the sufferers and their loved ones.

Glenn Close also addresses this on her website bringchange2mind.org.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #3

Nope...sorry....I understand your point of view....but as someone just watching a "movie"....with no side issues....not what I was hoping. A good movie?...yes, I thought it was a good movie....well done and acted....but I want to leave a movie feeling better.....it did that....but the first 3/4 of the movie was "hard".....not meaning difficult to understand (retired teacher here).....just plain boring until the end.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #4

Dear F4--

Yes, I agree. It was certainly not a "feel good" movie. That first 3/4 that was boring to you was, to me, an on-screen portrayal of the purely mind-numbing behavior of someone whose brain doesn't work.

Well, "mind-numbing" to the observer, that is. It's exhausting to watch someone slide from mania to depression, then back to mania. Plus, it's exhausting to try to "figure them out" or try to reason with them. It's enough to turn your own brain to mush.

Be glad that you could simply be bored, then walk out and hope for better entertainment next time!

Sorry to hear that you wasted some $, though.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #5

Ouch......
It's a movie.....

What did you think of Chariots of Fire? I used to run a lot.....and this movie meant a lot to me......but....it was a "movie".
Old 06-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #6

Sorry, F4-- I wasn't being sarcastic, and didn't mean to sound like the old former school marm (being preachy, that is).

I guess that movie was just a little too close for comfort.

Please forgive any harsh tone-- it was unintentional!

Old 06-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #7

Nah....I get it...I really am a retired school teacher and have seen most student issues(although not too much of the mental issues). Some movies are more than movies to some people. I still curse the Hollywood executives for killing off Firefly (damn them to hell). But if you don't like SciFi.....doesn't mean diddle....and fair enough. I had heard....tooooo much about how good Silver Linings Playbook was.....to ME.....nope. NOT to take it away from being a good movie. Most Academy movies don't do much for me..... I still think Stardust is one of my favorite movies.....not too many other people do....and I can live with that.
Ah......Chariots of Fire!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #8

Ah......Chariots of Fire!

Now, THAT was a movie. We still have our old VHS, and probably watch it once every other year, just on principle.

My husband and I love to quote Eric Liddle's response to his sister, when she insists he needs to return to the mission field: "God made me fast. When I run I feel His pleasure."

What a great line......and a reason why we can enjoy our talents.

Yeah, I know it was just a movie.....but it was based on historical events. (And Silver Linings Playbook was based on reality as well, just fictionalized.) Movie or not, IMHO there's just nothing like a real hero who overcomes obstacles to reach some kind of personal goal.

(Aristotle called these qualities of a good play "mimesis" and "universality."
When these got the audience all excited, he called that "catharsis." Let's just say I'm a big fan of catharsis..........it kept me entertained for 33 years as an English teacher.)

Just an occupational hazard, I guess.....

Old 06-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I am in the queue for this movie at our library and will be at least 2 months before I will get the DVD.

@LitGal,
It is ALWAYS hard to explain to the folks who do not encounter anything that others go through. As a father of a child on Autism Spectrum, although there is decent awareness in the society, the looks that we get sometimes are disgusting. And no matter, how you explain the folks, majority will filter out what they do not want to listen...

But I agree, we need more movies of such kind. And I honestly think, everyone should take a course in their high school on 'How to watch the movies'. Our local school offers one... Pure entertainment is one part and what the producer/director wants you to take home with you is another one..
noelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Silver Linings Playbook is an excellent movie in my view; and, in the view of many, having been nominated for eight oscars, winning one. It was also very meaningful to me because there is bipolar disorder in my family. So, it holds a special place for me.

It's a romantic comedy but, I also think its message is important. The US has the highest rate of bipolar disorder (>10 million) and, like all mental health issues, we need to know more about it and discuss it more openly.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Though it was dark & serious for a romantic comedy (a good thing vs most predictable, formulaic movies), we thought it was Oscar worthy as a movie and for both lead actors, but I gather the OP feels otherwise. Life goes on bra...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I didn't love it to death, but I liked it. I enjoy movies with dance scenes. And I tend to like movies where a lead character is somewhat crazy. Most people (self included) are a little bit crazy in some way (in others' eyes).

However, if I had been that mom, I think I would have run away long ago. Talk about getting it from both barrels!

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can definitely understand someone not liking a movie, for whatever reason. I happened to really enjoy SLP. I like movies about the interplay of internal things going on with people. I thought DeNiro completely nailed it as the father.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #14
gone traveling

All my household members enjoyed this movie and can see why it won awards.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #15
Administrator

We enjoyed it as well.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

I really liked the movie . I also gravitate towards movies with quirky characters.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #17

I guess it's just me....I don't see why people get upset if you say you don't like something. In some people's minds, I think they are hearing that as an actual insult and then defend it because they like it. I don't like olives.....never have. I try them about once a year just to check....yuk. I did not say olives are bad/evil.....just that I didn't like them. If I were to say I really didn't like Bush as President ......whoa....a whole political argument gets going and people get insulted and assume the worst.....I didn't call Bush any names....and didn't say he was a horrible person.....just that I didn't like what he did in office. Although.....I don't think much of politicians in general so....... I put out a thread a while back on favorite tv series. Some of the ones people really liked, I had no interest in at all (Soprano's for instance). Now....I know that a WHOLE lot of people loved that show....and it was supposed to be well done....but I didn't watch the show because the main topic of the show was something I don't find entertaining. I happened to think the SciFi series Firefly was one of the best series....it got cancelled after one season. Obviously it wasn't loved by enough people......I can live with that and I am not insulted if you say the show bored you to tears. The vast majority of Academy award winners I don't watch.....I realize they are probably good, well done movies....but if the topic is something I am not interested in.....then I would just be flogging a dead horse hoping the outcome will be different this time...
Old 06-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Did somebody get upset? I surely didn't. I do think many folks tend to get defensive when they read certain expressions of like/dislike, especially toward political parties (which makes it feel like you're being voted against), or interest groups (if you happen to support one which is struggling), or when people say they hate cats/dogs (which reminds the reader that some people want to restrict ownership of, or even harm these fine animals). But movies? Naaaah. People's variety of taste is one of the things that makes movie discussions fun, I think.

BTW, I hate olives and don't like the Sopranos. So there

Amethst

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
I guess it's just me....I don't see why people get upset if you say you don't like something. In some people's minds, I think they are hearing that as an actual insult and then defend it because they like it. I don't like olives.....never have. I try them about once a year just to check....yuk. I did not say olives are bad/evil.....just that I didn't like them. If I were to say I really didn't like Bush as President ......whoa....a whole political argument gets going and people get insulted and assume the worst.....I didn't call Bush any names....and didn't say he was a horrible person.....just that I didn't like what he did in office. Although.....I don't think much of politicians in general so....... I put out a thread a while back on favorite tv series. Some of the ones people really liked, I had no interest in at all (Soprano's for instance). Now....I know that a WHOLE lot of people loved that show....and it was supposed to be well done....but I didn't watch the show because the main topic of the show was something I don't find entertaining. I happened to think the SciFi series Firefly was one of the best series....it got cancelled after one season. Obviously it wasn't loved by enough people......I can live with that and I am not insulted if you say the show bored you to tears. The vast majority of Academy award winners I don't watch.....I realize they are probably good, well done movies....but if the topic is something I am not interested in.....then I would just be flogging a dead horse hoping the outcome will be different this time...
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
gone traveling

F4, I don't think anyone was upset with your viewpoint, but simply offered their own perspective of the movie. The one thing I have learned about this site, if you want people to agree with you, this may not be the best site for that.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
The one thing I have learned about this site, if you want people to agree with you, this may not be the best site for that.
I disagree.