Join Early Retirement Today

Simple button cell phone
Old 05-29-2016, 09:35 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Simple button cell phone

Totally frustrated...
All I want is a plain old button cellphone, with a one year contract that I don't have to worry about buying cards or running out of minutes.
The last one that I had (and liked) was a Net 10 Motorola with 800 minutes and 365 days and cost $120.
Now... mass confusion. Cell phones seem to be "smartphones"... and for the most part touch screen.
My current Tracfone #406, is a nightmare. Price is right... $120, 800 minutes 365 days.
But.............................
It clicks constantly, shuts off the ringtone arbitrarily, has 36 main links, about 100 sublinks, and maybe 400 sub-sub links. Tap control doesn't wok, so have to use swipe. Swiping brings up who knows what. Setting ringtones shuts them off completely. Phone goes to sleep sometimes, other times, stays awake. Makes tapping noises when I touch it. Never know what comes next.
So off to Walmart. where there's a special front of store phone center. Absolutely no help. Wants to sell a smartphone. Doesn't understand that a senior might only want a telephone that doesn't have wires.

Websites are even worse. I spent two hours looking on Net 10 and Tracphone, and despite the sub/sub/sub menus fount nothing to tell me if the older phones I have can be reactivated.

Looks like I'm being forced into dumbphone by Jitterbug. Just don't like the price... $80 for a $10 phone, and monthly reactivation... 200 minutes/ month that I won't use.

So... looking for a button phone... one year service that doesn't require renewal, and 400 to 1000 minutes. New phone number is fine.

Talking to trackphone or net10 would be ok, but either they or I don't understand the language.

As my mom used to say... "some day you'll get old"
"Mom!... I'm there... and I now understand.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Refer to this recent E-R post for a button style Tracfone available on Ebay. The phone + 800 minutes + 365 days for $30.
which is a simple cell phone?

Old 05-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSC View Post
Refer to this recent E-R post for a button style Tracfone available on Ebay. The phone + 800 minutes + 365 days for $30.
which is a simple cell phone?
Thanks... I missed the thread. Have ordered and will report back... Seems too good to be true.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

imoldernu, I feel your pain! I'm not a Luddite (have two iPads and, between wifey and me, four computers) but don't want to lug around a min-computer just for making phone calls! Found an LG Revere 3 at Verizon. Cost is around $35 bucks a month if over 65(?). Flat, excellent sound, great battery life and uses a micro-USB connection for recharging (a very common device connector).

I bought a similar LG phone (forget the model number) for my German nephew, which he uses while visiting us during the summer months. It's a TracFone and the monthly cost was even less.

Here is their LG 441G. $15 bucks! Needs a "minute card" to use:

http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdir...ionId=38467647

There are options out there!

Rich