Join Early Retirement Today

Simple memories of an earlier life.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Simple memories of an earlier life.

I recall this time of year as a youth when I would go out to the garden as requested, pick tomatoes, and Mother would make Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato Sandwiches for lunch. I never cared for fresh tomatoes, so I just had a bacon sandwich. I rarely buy bacon, but I did last week on a whim and just finished a bacon sandwich spread with peanut butter. It is as if a "memory" chemical was released in my brain and I am sitting here relishing fond memories of my childhood. What triggers memories of your childhood? Discuss:

Germonico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Dipping a madeleine in a cup of tea. Oh, the memories!

Old 07-30-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Jacobs Cream Crackers with cheddar cheese and tomatoes, and Barry's Gold Label loose leaf tea.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
PB&J on white bread stuffed in a reused paper bag for lunch.

Pot roast of beef cooked over roast potatoes with peas. On Sunday's.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:42 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Music. Anything top 40 playing from '69 to '71 throws me right back to carefree summers, school, learning to read, etc.

The smell of paper, crayons and clay. There's a closet at church, that, when opened, transports me directly to 2nd grade. This closet has the sunday school supplies. The smell is a wormhole to age 8.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:44 AM   #6

OMG, thank you a million times for this thread. I was lamenting childhood memories lately. My mom is in bad shape, Dad is long long gone as well as one of my 3 sisters. I get daily triggers for memories mostly food(my life always revolved around it). Old TV movies from the 40's -60's, thats how my house was run.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:49 AM   #7

Many things thankfully. Was a wonderful time. I have a pouch of Amphora Brown pipe tobacco that I bought maybe 15 years ago that I keep in my bedside table drawer at the cottage. One whiff of it evokes great memories of my father. Sadly tobacco probably contributed to his passing at least a few years earlier than he otherwise would have.
6miths is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mom usually picked strawberries w/us 4 kids. We did it to "earn" school clothes. She always made some strawberry jam. After the kids were out on their own she stocked us up with Tupperware containers. Mom & Dad are both in memory care now. She hasn't done jam for probably 5 or 6 years. I finished the last container a month ago. That jam always took me back to fun times in the strawberry fields
Scrapr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

When I was a teenage girl, I loved a perfume called Estee Lauder's Youth-Dew. My sister kidded me that it was for old ladies, which, as a powdery, floral scent, it probably was. But for my "expensive gift" one Christmas I begged for a fancy little compact with gel perfume inside. Amazingly, I got it.

I still have it, and when I pull it out now and then and have a sniff, I recall going on those fun teen dates where the two of you race to see who can finish the pizza fastest.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The thing that does it for me is Jean Nate splash . In the summer we used to keep a bottle in the fridge to splash on on hot days .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:32 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yes! It smells just like limoncello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The thing that does it for me is Jean Nate splash . In the summer we used to keep a bottle in the fridge to splash on on hot days .
Old 07-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #12

I think I'd rather have the limoncello in the fridge (ok freezer) than Jean Nate. LOL
Old 07-30-2017, 02:43 PM   #13

Interesting thread. My husband was cooking the sauce for a lasagna this morning - so sauteing onions, garlic, thyme etc... He learned the recipe basics from his Sicilian grandparents. At the same time our piano teacher was here giving piano lessons. She's from Brazil but her parents were from Sicily. She commented that it reminded her so much of the smells of her mother cooking.

For me some of the "triggers" of childhood memories:
- Any coconut based sunscreen.... Spent a lot of time at the beach and in the pool as a kid - and that's what every sunscreen smelled like.
- grilled cheese and soup for lunch... that was a special treat mom used to make for us on cooler days.
- The sounds of kids playing sports in the middle of the street on summer evenings. It's been a few years now that we have enough kids on our long dead end street for this to happen... Happened all the time when I was a kid... It meant summertime!!! (I live in the house I grew up in.)
Old 07-30-2017, 02:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
When I was a teenage girl, I loved a perfume called Estee Lauder's Youth-Dew. My sister kidded me that it was for old ladies, which, as a powdery, floral scent, it probably was. But for my "expensive gift" one Christmas I begged for a fancy little compact with gel perfume inside. Amazingly, I got it.

I still have it, and when I pull it out now and then and have a sniff, I recall going on those fun teen dates where the two of you race to see who can finish the pizza fastest.
I had an Uncle that worked during the Christmas rush at the Estee Lauder plant in long island. He once gave my 3 sisters rings that had a solid perfume in them. They were very 60's tie dyed psychedelic colors, thanks for the memory
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I'd go with my DF to the garden. He's bring a salt shaker and a knife. The fresh tomatoes were awesome. He always peeled them, I still do today.

Thanks for the thread.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #16

I can't hear Hotel California without being transported back to the bus on which a passenger was playing that song via portable radio, this on one glorious late spring afternoon while heading home after the final day of school.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:51 PM   #17

Eating a big plate of whole belly Ipswich fried clams.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:01 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

I didn't like tomatoes either, so I'd have a BL with mayonnaise on toast. Aside from a few dinners mom would make, I distinctly remember my father making Ritz crackers with cream cheese and olives (green with pimentos) as a snack when he came from work that we'd share. He'd have a beer - I wouldn't - probably because I was about 10. But, when I'd get a beer out of the fridge for him and would pour it, I'd put a big head on it and drink the foam off the top.
Dancfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:08 PM   #19

For some reason the Maria Muldaur song Midnight at the Oasis sends me back to the bedroom of my childhood home. I was 12 years old when this song was released.

socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Eating baloney sandwich on white bread with mayo. (not really dome much anymore though)

When I was about 12 or 13, I would make myself a few of these on Saturday and watch Yankee baseball games on our small black and white TV set in Connecticut. I am still a diehard Yankee fan.