Join Early Retirement Today

Sincere apology to Tiger
Old 04-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sincere apology to Tiger

I wrote Tiger off more times I thought about ER before pulling the trigger. I wrote him off every time he had a major injury. I wrote him off as being too old. I wrote him off thinking he has no motivation to come back after achieving everything in pro golf. I wrote him off when I saw his mugshot on TV news. I wrote him off b/c no human being can come back in pro sport in similar situation. But there he is, finally, winning a major again. Thousand apologies to Tiger. Sorry for doubting you

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 12:37 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ha ha. I've never been a big Tiger fan but that was fun to watch.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

To me Sunday afternoon at the Masters is the greatest moment in golf sports every year. Today was no exception. I didn’t think Tiger would win another major either, I was wrong.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #4

It's hard to imagine what Tiger would have won over the years had his body held up to the physical pressures of the game. There's no telling what physical therapy he's gone through to get back to where he is today--not including working on his game. And he really has been tough mentally to overcome the physical ailments.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #5

I’ve always wanted him to win at least one more. This was great to watch. I’m so happy for him.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:01 PM   #6

I've always hoped he could come back and win some more titles, and majors, and FedEx Cups. He looks very healthy and happy and his game is in excellent shape, not to mention that he has deeper experience than anyone else in the game today. I actually think he'll win the FedEx Cup this year.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:16 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

That guy who bet a lot of money for him winning did not write him off

https://www.businessinsider.com/tige...vorites-2019-4

On the Tuesday before the Masters, a bettor placed an $85,000 wager on Woods to win the tournament at 14/1 odds that would cash for $1.19 million should he go on to win a fifth green jacket.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My DD worked for NIKE, as I did years ago. She knows the folks to are involved with NIKE's professional athletes. It was her opinion that Tiger came under the influence of a problematic caddie, that started a downward spiral. Emotions and physical problems can be associated. Add that to the fact that he started very young and worked his body hard. It takes time to recover. He worked very hard to regain his health.

It is thrilling to see the old Tiger back in the game and have success confirm his recovery.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:39 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
My DD worked for NIKE, as I did years ago. She knows the folks to are involved with NIKE's professional athletes. It was her opinion that Tiger came under the influence of a problematic caddie, that started a downward spiral. Emotions and physical problems can be associated. Add that to the fact that he started very young and worked his body hard. It takes time to recover. He worked very hard to regain his health.
So you’re saying Steve Williams (or Fluff) caused Tiger’s downward spiral? I find that hard to believe...

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Old 04-14-2019, 02:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
So you’re saying Steve Williams (or Fluff) caused Tiger’s downward spiral? I find that hard to believe...
I'm guessing Erin would probably say: "Tiger caused Tiger's downward spiral"...

That said, congrats to him - this is an extremely impressive feat!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I'm glad he finally won another.

Now the conversation is does he have a chance to catch Jack Nicholas? Before his SUV accident and everything else, he looked to shatter the mark. Then looked like Tiger was done. Now, the conversation isn't far fetched anymore.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

If you didn't shed a tear when he was being hugged by his kid afterwards, you aren't a parent, or a golf fan.
ckelly78z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #13

Just not a woods fan but he did well.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
If you didn't shed a tear when he was being hugged by his kid afterwards, you aren't a parent, or a golf fan.
I liked what Tiger said after in Butler's cabin even more. 'In 1997 my Dad was there to give me a hug when I won my first Masters. This time 22 years later, I'm the Dad, sharing the win with my kids.'

Old 04-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

"Under the influence" was not meant to intimate that he was blameless. I think it was adolescent behavior, that phase of life - particularly with males - where peer relationships are impactful. He didn't have any rumspringa. Unfortunately, some who have had a very structured upbringing go through that phase in young adulthood.

He paid a high price in both his personal and professional life. He is now a mature father and golfer, it shows.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
It's hard to imagine what Tiger would have won over the years had his body held up to the physical pressures of the game. There's no telling what physical therapy he's gone through to get back to where he is today--not including working on his game. And he really has been tough mentally to overcome the physical ailments.
Makes me wonder what that pill was that he was shown on TV taking with 4 or 5 holes left. Anti-anxiety or pain killer I suspect. I don't know that he has overcome his ailments, he just has the meds to help cope. I was happy to see him win again though.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:33 PM   #17

I'm not a Tiger fan, and I didn't think he'd ever win another major. But he did. I figured the mountain was too high. I was wrong. Again.

It was cool to see him hug his mom and his kids, and that his kids have this wonderful memory of seeing their dad on the top of that mountain.

Tom Brady and Tiger in the same year. Maybe there is hope for us old-timers.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
Tom Brady and Tiger in the same year. Maybe there is hope for us old-timers.
If by old timers you mean 20 years younger than me, then yeah sure there is hope.

I am one that thought he would never win another major. You gotta give him credit for wanting it so bad, and doing the work it took to get there again.

Despite his flaws, he is one H*LL of a golfer.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:54 PM   #19

Missed it today, but have always been a Tiger fan. He has accomplished a lot for the sport.

Where do you folks rate him in historical terms?
I have him currently as #2 behind Jack.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Missed it today, but have always been a Tiger fan. He has accomplished a lot for the sport.

Where do you folks rate him in historical terms?
I have him currently as #2 behind Jack.
Jack is still #1 all time, Tiger is #2. Tiger dominated like no one else, including Jack, ever has for about 10 years from 1997 thru 2008? Tiger didn’t win anything from 2010-11 or 2014-17. If Tiger had not derailed his career with his personal issues and then physical issues, he might have passed Jack’s records, now it may be less likely. The fields are deeper than ever nowadays. Time will tell.