Single Best Thing You Have Learned Here

2 "single" answers:

Safe withdrawal rate concepts.
There is no one-size-fits-all retirement. Everyone's needs to make them happy vary considerably.
[OK, here's a third] This site is a great resource for any question one might have.

I've learned that other people don't think like me.

All the investing stuff can be learned from books and taxes from the IRS, but how other people use that information cannot be learned from those places.

This forum has solidified my thinking that I wouldn't last very long as a Fortune 500 CEO. Therefore, I have decided to stop pursuing that dream.

1. Stay the course.
2. The millionaire next-door
3. There's nothing wrong with collecting Social Security at 62 years old

It's not exactly a learning, but having the good folks here validate my decision to RE was very important to me. My father (who RE'd at 55) was my "financial advisor" since my teens. Unfortunately, he died a few years before I was ready to seriously consider ER, so I didn't have anyone to talk it over with. Getting the encouragement from folks here made all the difference.

I learn something new here almost every day but for me, way back when, learning about SRW was an eye opener.

When I first retired 12 years ago I had no idea on the mechanics of SWR, considerations for inflation or even how to think about it.

Once or twice a year now I have friends (still working) who ask about withdrawal rates and have no clue. Some of them are looking at 10% WRs and think they'll be ok. When I hit my BIL with 4%, you could hear the wheels spinning... I thought he was going to cry...he quickly figured out that he'd need about $20MM; which he doesn't have.

If you absolutely must use dryer sheets, retire-early can teach you to redirect the spent sheets to a new application.

I learned that there are others who have LBYM and are what I would call "financially responsible".
I learned (and already knew) that there are a variety of net worths that allow people to retire. It's just a matter of adjusting spending to live well.
I learned about Firecalc and i-ORP, and recently about recharacterizations.
I learned a lot of very good jokes.

I had already been FIREd over eight years when I found this forum so I was already very comfortable with the situation.

But what has kept me here for the next seven years has been the fact that I don't believe a week has gone by that I haven't learned some useful thing from the membership. Some of those tips have been little things, but others fairly significant.

Great group of folks. Much obliged to you all.

I learned that I am not a financial oddball. Even though I have not personally met many early retirees, there are a whole slew of them here that I can learn from and share ideas with. Where I live I've only met one early retiree and he went back to work and got a divorce. Apparently having a mistress is not conducive to early retirement or marriage.

One other thing I learned....don't share your RE plans and goals with just anyone. About 6 years ago, I laid out my plan with DW and she liked it so much she RE and told me she looked forward to the day we would have enough assets for me to join her in retirement.

I have learned a ton this past year hanging out here. One thing I learned of most value is that of the OMY problem which I hadn't considered. Thus I am working on my OMY problem so I really do retire on "schedule" in 2022 and don't keep on OMY after that!

How to better position myself for the next major correction and how to deal with it.

Lack of political comment at every turn. I won't mention which forum.
Basic financial knowledge is much higher here than at other forums. I won't mention which forum.
People here are more supportive. I'm just tired of negative people. I won't mention which forum.

The single best thing I've learned here (so far) is the variety of interests and approaches to a successful, happy ER.

I learned that there are others in this country who are financially responsible that don't live beyond their means living paycheck to paycheck. This is hard to find living in Southern California. There is hope for a select few in this country after all.

Apparently it's hard to find anywhere, at least that's the case in MD and WV. We've seen many instances of the paycheck-to-paycheck lifestyle. I couldn't stand it. The oddest was when at my last job once due to some glitch the payroll deposits, normally made on alternate Fridays, would be delayed until the following Monday. Like most here, that warrants a "meh" from me. But you should have seen the uproar from almost everyone else! I was actually a bit surprised by it.

It's difficult to pick only one lesson as the "best" but I'd guess if I had to pick one it would be the whole concept of SWR and staying the course when investing. There are some very bright people here and I enjoy learning from them.

For me, the media is always saying no one should retire early. When I joined here, I realized that it wasn't true. If you live modestly, have a plan, and are debt free, you can retire early. I saw many examples of people here doing just that. It gave us the courage to go ahead and we couldn't be happier!

Before I join this site I thought FI and RE were just a dream I would have a tough time reaching, based on all the negative "noise" around the subject from the media, family and co-workers. But I learned here that it was a reality within my grasp.

I couldn't pick just one, there have been too many pearls here.

I agree - the real value for me is the many little bits and pieces that I pick up by following many diverse threads here

I've learned that INTJs love low-cost index funds, and vice versa!

Back
Top Bottom