Single Best Thing You Have Learned Here

The single best thing? Well I guess it's that we all have different opinions on just about everything, (often). Sometimes I agree, but often I don't, and sometimes I'm shocked by some views. :confused:

Like others, I have learned SO Much here. I do not remember who wrote this but it sure has helped me with any anxiety regarding spending.

"you are no longer in a savings mode, you are in a slow, spend down mode"

hmmm...

I'm tempted to say 'the ignore list' but that seems a bit frivolous *ha*

I guess just the fact that a lot of people have held through market crashes, buying more at the bottom. That the market still comes back. In practice, not just in theory. Reading through threads in early 2009 is very illuminating.

Have learned many things that built confidence in our plan and the courage to execute that plan and the gratification of seeing it work. Thanks Everybody!!!

Learning that I wasn't alone and that others had successfully ERed at young ages was the most important thing for me. Definitely getting a better understanding of technical details was helpful but those details can be found in lots of places.

I joined in 2007 when DH and I were considering buying back 5.25 refunded years of service in his pension plan. What I enjoyed about this place was finding other folks who were experiencing early retirement.

Here's a few of the best things I learned here -

- This was the first place where I heard of Dave Ramsey. Someone (maybe it was Simple Girl??) posted about calling into a radio show to do their Debt Free scream. I checked out the show, ran a few spreadsheet scenarios and realized that DH and I could do this. Completed before he retired in 2010.

- PenFed Credit Union. I know some have had not so great experience but I joined PenFed for a low rate car loan in 2007, bought a 3 year CD and then spotted those 10 year 5% CD rates in late 2010. Nice!

- The best thing I learned here is that despite what all the financial pundits say, you can live quite well on less than a million dollars and that a COLA-ed pension is a nice bit of security.

This was a great place to go through the ACA insurance experience. That whole transition was one big hairy unknown and many of us shared info, experiences and links about how it was all happening and how to navigate the new issues.

Last edited:
hmmm...

I'm tempted to say 'the ignore list' but that seems a bit frivolous *ha*

I guess just the fact that a lot of people have held through market crashes, buying more at the bottom. That the market still comes back. In practice, not just in theory. Reading through threads in early 2009 is very illuminating.

It is interesting to go back in time and read those threads. Some didn't make the right choices at the time.

When I first discovered this forum in 2013, it never occurred to me that retirement might be an option. I was 46 years old, and I always believed that retirement was associated with being 65. I knew I was doing well financially, but it just never occurred to me that I might actually have saved enough money that I don't need to work any more.

When I began reading posts here, I realized there was a whole world out there that I had never discovered. It was so freeing to find out that there were people out there retiring before 65, and that it was OK to do so. I credit this forum with giving me the comfort to quit my well paying job that was sucking the life out of me, and recognizing that there is so much more that I could be doing besides running a business that consumes every waking second of my day. I also learned that my identity does not need to be defined by my job title or compensation. I learned that it's OK to just be me, and discover who I am, and what my other non work related interests are.

I can't pick just one. I think just the fact that ER is a thing as they say, the culmination of a process and collection of behaviors that I happened to have embraced many years ago. The forum gave me technique, tools, and confidence.

I was also thinking I can't just pick one, but I sure have learned a lot here, and sure appreciate it. Had some laughs too!

I realize now, I had already learned of low cost, no-load index funds, how easy it is to DIY, basic tax management, etc (a lot of this from Bob Brinker's show in the 90's). But I learned of the Trinity study here I think.

Before then (and I ER-d before I got here), I kept figuring with what I thought were conservative estimates - I think I figured stocks might return 8% long term, Bonds maybe 4%, and inflation 3%. So a 70/30 AA would return 6.8%, minus 3% inflation, so ~ 3.8% I could draw? That didn't account for "sequence of return" risk, but was conservative enough to come out to the same ballpark. It's been working so far!

-ERD50

camaraderie - I had to spell check it - and commiseration - that too. I mean everyone's situation & viewpoint is so unique. So you just suck it all in & apply.

one other thing i learned....don't share your re plans and goals with just anyone. About 6 years ago, i laid out my plan with dw and she liked it so much she re and told me she looked forward to the day we would have enough assets for me to join her in retirement.
lol

Vanguard Wellesley

The best piece of advice I received was from Nords during the 2009 meltdown . I was heavily weighted in stocks and wanted to lower my stock portion . He told me to hold on that as fast as I lost it that is how fast it would return at that percentage . So I held on and He was right . I did lower it after my money returned .Thanks Nords !
You're welcome, especially in light of the recent runup!

It's really difficult to pinpoint just one thing. Looking at the big picture, I learnt that it's OK to discuss ER with like minded thoughtful people. I learnt about many new reference sources and tools. I learnt how diverse people are in managing their finances and in their priorities. I learnt about the immense burden that paying for healthcare is for people in the US. And on and on......

I think it broke my stereotype about how big a stash of cash was necessary to ER. From the surveys, we have seen a broad range assets and spending.

The world is not like me. Some are but many aren't.

Single best thing, hard to say. For me it was the things one should "think about" when contemplating such a decision. I found Firecalc to be very helpful and see others annual year end spend or budget helped me feel better that I was within range of accounting for most expenses and stash needed.

Great thread! I continue to learn a lot about a diverse range of topics. I've been on this forum for about a year and so far the best thing it's done for me is to help me have the confidence that I was emotionally ready to RE, and that I shouldn't feel guilty about leaving my job with "only" 30 days notice.

I enjoy many of the topics on this site and appreciate fellow posters who share tips and experiences, as well as humor.

The perfect age to start SS and the best time to pay off the mortgage.

Really: That I am eligible for SS survivor benefits at 60.

achievable. I learned that ER is actually a goal anyone can reach because I speak with you all everyday. before that I had no clue, no hope, no bearing.

secondly, Asset Allocation. Keeps me between the ditches.

A well moderated forum, like a well regulated militia, is necessary for good order.

This community is like intelligent discourse in a nice quite library, but a library that has adult beverages and quality cigars on the patio.

Haven't been here all that long and learnt a lot - shared some. But here's a few salient points:

I go from investing to withdrawing in ~10 weeks, so some of the posts about SWR and emotional control were particularly helpful. I stayed in and stayed 80% stocks in both the dot com and housing crashes - but retirement wasn't even in my plan during those scary days. Now that I'm only steps from the abyss, emotions are more intense. The commentary here will be helpful (still, again, more) next time the markets head south for the winter (or whatever season).

I was amazed that there were so many other folks who have a similar outlook (think LBYM) on personal finances as I have had for many years. I always thought that I was unique, but now know that there are a raft of us out here.

Back
Top Bottom