Single - I hate the word!

I step away for a while, and look what happens: You guys are taking the Malarkey (aka in Ireland: taking the piss!). This thread is off to Comedy Central!
BTW: Anyone see the Colbert Report when it had Jim Cramer (of Mad money) screaming on about the economy? As he raged on they kept superimposing clips of cute puppies running in the background, (think it was on back in March maybe).

Anyway a dog would make a good companion, although a dog also means something else here in Ireland (think opposite of hottie).

TO Meadbh ;-
You're right bout companionless. How about CompanionLASS?

I just tell people I've never been married but I do have a good looking blond living with me. A very outdoorsey blond.:)

img_817139_0_c377ea05bb914496ffc0ab386048f393.jpg

Originally Posted by moemg
Now that is a ten !

dawg, I just found you an 11...:D

Attachments

• BottleofBeerDog.jpg
    BottleofBeerDog.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 3
Dawg54: That looks like a Golden Retriever. If it is, then you got yourself a companion that wants to please her master SO much that the Firemen during the 9/11 cleanup used to hide and let the Golden Retriever find them...or the dog would actually grieve, because she felt she wasn't doing her duty and making her masters happy.
So, if it is a Golden Retriever, you have blonde willing to do anything to please you. Isn't that the single man's dream girl?

I step away for a while, and look what happens: You guys are taking the Malarkey (aka in Ireland: taking the piss!). This thread is off to Comedy Central!
BTW: Anyone see the Colbert Report when it had Jim Cramer (of Mad money) screaming on about the economy? As he raged on they kept superimposing clips of cute puppies running in the background, (think it was on back in March maybe).
We don't need much to get us going...;)

I hadn't seen the Colbert Report, but I found it today at his website. The white kitten was the best.
Oh, my face hurts from laughing. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I'm single and will ER (again, for about the 3rd time) in about 2 weeks. I actually think being single and financially secure/LBYM has given me the power to choose to be who I want to be regardless of what other people think. I used to compare myself to other people always wondering if my "stuff" was good enough in comparison. Now, I don't care. I've decided that in order to ER I have to live a certain lifestyle and live within my budget. If I meet someone who's lifestyle/budget is more extravagent than my own we can only be friends if they decide to accept me for me and not pressure me to live up to their expectations. If not, it's "see ya later, have a nice life!" to them. Anyway, my recommendation is to find the contentment from within to live your own life and the let others fit into that....and don't force yourself to fit into theirs (within reason). In the long run I believe that's the only way you can be happy.

Yes, indeed, except... everywhere they went, people would point and snicker.
"Isn't she the one who _________ ?"
Fill in the blank - the list of possibilities is very long.
<

Isn't that Paris Hilton who gave up her fortune to eat of the McD's dollar menu in Ireland and share a pint at the local pub ?

Yes, indeed, except... everywhere they went, people would point and snicker.
"Isn't she the one who _________ ?"
Fill in the blank - the list of possibilities is very long.
<

Isn't that Paris Hilton who gave up her fortune to eat of the McD's dollar menu in Ireland and share a pint at the local pub ?

Now, the pint at the pub sounds like fun! :D But hold the fries. ;)

Trib1, just busting yer chops here. Feel free to fire back, gently though. :whistle:

Love happens when you are not looking for it....just enjoy your achievements and find something to be passionate about.....it will all work out in the end.
I partied a lot when I was younger, never serious about anything much less meeting anyone to settle down with. I didn't even know who I was much less what I wanted in a man.
Things are different today.....I definitely believe in the package thing and if it requires too much effort....not worth it.
If the worst that can happen is that I die a bachlerotte with a couple of cats and having lived my life with passion....then it's not that bad at all :)

Dawg54: That looks like a Golden Retriever. If it is, then you got yourself a companion that wants to please her master SO much that the Firemen during the 9/11 cleanup used to hide and let the Golden Retriever find them...or the dog would actually grieve, because she felt she wasn't doing her duty and making her masters happy.
So, if it is a Golden Retriever, you have blonde willing to do anything to please you. Isn't that the single man's dream girl?

You are correct, she is a golden retriever. But there are some things I won't let her do for me.:blink:

Things are different today.....I definitely believe in the package thing and if it requires too much effort....not worth it.
If the worst that can happen is that I die a bachlerotte with a couple of cats and having lived my life with passion....then it's not that bad at all :)

That's what I have learned, that getting the package all wrapped up and put on the market takes a whole lot of energy. That is energy that I could be using to achieve other goals that are IMHO more fulfilling. At age 60, I do not have what men my age are looking for; that particular package is only found among women in their mid-forties to early fifties who are very "motivated," i.e. they need a provider. There are a few women in their 60s who still have the whole package but few and far between.

And even my women friends of modest means who are 50+ talk about not having the will to go through it all again ("through it all" meaning the dating, the courtship, the relationship, and the marriage).

You are correct, she is a golden retriever. But there are some things I won't let her do for me.:blink:

Mine has red hair - when I hooked him on this chain in back of the pickup - the women would be petting him and ignoring me.

heh heh heh - even with my W.E. Schmidt Overalls on. :(.

There are a few women in their 60s who still have the whole package but few and far between.

And even my women friends of modest means who are 50+ talk about not having the will to go through it all again ("through it all" meaning the dating, the courtship, the relationship, and the marriage).

Oldbabe, I have a question, and a comment. What is "the package"?

And the comment relates to the thing about "the will to go through it all again". I have known a pretty large # of married and single people over 15 years or so from participating in dance communities. I seems that the marriages are hard pressed to keep up with the divorces. What I mean is though there have been a few marriages, maybe half of these have broken up, and the ones that haven't are pretty well balanced by others who were formerly married but are now divorced. Same holds for near marriages like SO-dom. Seems like a lot of older men and women don't really want to be yoked to one person.

A man or woman who has been with a spouse or lover for 20 or more years in reasonable happiness doesn't really look only at today's mate. He or she also sees the young, energetic, physically appealing ánd perhaps idealistic person of years before. OTOH when we go out with someone new in our own age category we see what is really there. We don't even see ourselves clearly when we look in the mirror, so we may think "Why I am having dinner with this old person?" Conveniently forgetting that we are one too.

I think a single 55+ man or woman in the USA should give á contemplated marriage some careful thought, as many of the active candidates either need marriage financially or to give them a reason to live. Either one of these things can be a heavy load to carry.

Ha

I think a single 55+ man or woman in the USA should give á contemplated marriage some careful thought, as many of the active candidates either need marriage financially or to give them a reason to live. Either one of these things can be a heavy load to carry.

MIL has been dating on and off for 2 years and all she finds are freshly divorced or widowed guys in their 50's, 60's and 70's who have only one thing on their mind: finding another wife ASAP. According to her, the "rush" seems to be motivated by the fact that they need someone to take care of them at one level or another. For some, it's for health reasons, for some financial reasons, for some emotional reasons and and for some practical reasons. But, at this point, she has no interest in becoming someone else's nurse, sugar mama, counselor or maid...

I guess I'm one of those in SO dom . If this ended I would have zero interest in dating . I like the companionship and ease of a long time relationship but it takes a few years to break them in and then there is the get naked part . I can only hold in my stomach for so long and lets face it at our ages getting naked is usually not pretty ,anyone who has mirrors on their ceiling is a Masochist . Plus their is the baggage, when I was dating in my 30's after being divorced the baggage was a carry on . Dating in my 50's after being widowed the baggage was steamer trunks and u hauls . So hopefully my SO will stay around for awhile because he is my last boyfriend . I 've used my quota and a few other peoples quota .

I guess I'm one of those in SO dom . If this ended I would have zero interest in dating . I like the companionship and ease of a long time relationship but it takes a few years to break them in and then their is the get naked part . I can only hold in my stomach for so long and lets face it at our ages getting naked is usually not pretty .Anyone who has mirrors on their ceiling is a Masochist . Plus their is the baggage, when I was dating in my 30's after being divorced the baggage was a carry on . Dating in my 50's after being widowed the baggage was steamer trunks and u hauls . So hopefully my SO will stay around for awhile because he is my last boyfriend . I 've used my quota and a few other peoples quota .

Moemg that is a very sweet post. I hope you both have the best of times and continuing good fortune.

Ha

MIL has been dating on and off for 2 years and all she finds are freshly divorced or widowed guys in their 50's, 60's and 70's who have only one thing on their mind: finding another wife ASAP. According to her, the "rush" seems to be motivated by the fact that they need someone to take care of them at one level or another. For some, it's for health reasons, for some financial reasons, for some emotional reasons and and for some practical reasons. But, at this point, she has no interest in becoming someone else's nurse, sugar mama, counselor or maid...

That does seem to be the case.

Mine has red hair - when I hooked him on this chain in back of the pickup - the women would be petting him and ignoring me.

heh heh heh - even with my W.E. Schmidt Overalls on. :(.

That could be part of the problem.:-\ I love the red haired retrievers. Might have to get one when this one passes on to doggie heaven.:'(

At this point in my life, if I became single, I believe I would want a SO. I am unsure if I would get married again.

I was 18 when I started dating my DH. We dated for a year, then we got married when I was 19. Next month we'll be married for 32 years. I went from my parent's home to my own home.

I feel like I've been married all of my life.

A man or woman who has been with a spouse or lover for 20 or more years in reasonable happiness doesn't really look at todays mate. He or she also sees the young, energetic, physically appealing ánd perhaps idealistic person of years before.

Ha--that is so true!

I guess I'm one of those in SO dom . If this ended I would have zero interest in dating . I like the companionship and ease of a long time relationship but it takes a few years to break them in and then their is the get naked part . I can only hold in my stomach for so long and lets face it at our ages getting naked is usually not pretty .Anyone who has mirrors on their ceiling is a Masochist . Plus their is the baggage, when I was dating in my 30's after being divorced the baggage was a carry on . Dating in my 50's after being widowed the baggage was steamer trunks and u hauls . So hopefully my SO will stay around for awhile because he is my last boyfriend . I 've used my quota and a few other peoples quota .

Moemg--I love this post and I am totally in sync with what you say. If anything were to happen to my hubby, there will never be another for me. I'd rather have a dog and a good book than to start over with a new relationship in my 50's. :LOL:

Haven't yet solved the problem of how to find that someone with whom I would like to have a relationship. I think my ideas of LBYM is a definite turn-off to most women, and the desire for expensive travel and high class living is a definite turn-off for me. What I need to find is a board like this one with a dating forum. (Hmmm note to moderators....) My experience with online matching sites seems like all the women list exotic first class foreign travel - even when they list their income as under 20K. Don't know how much they might have done to develop such a taste for it.

Haven't yet solved the problem of how to find that someone with whom I would like to have a relationship. I think my ideas of LBYM is a definite turn-off to most women, and the desire for expensive travel and high class living is a definite turn-off for me. What I need to find is a board like this one with a dating forum. (Hmmm note to moderators....) My experience with online matching sites seems like all the women list exotic first class foreign travel - even when they list their income as under 20K. Don't know how much they might have done to develop such a taste for it.

The analogy would be a single woman trying to find a match on a dating website who is unmarried and sincerely interested in a relationship that goes beyond sex. Finding the right match on a dating website takes some time and patience.

In my opinion dating websites are fairly slimy places, and you see the lowest motivations sometimes and "the underbelly of humanity", so to speak. But then, a great variety of people frequent these websites, and you can meet surprisingly reasonable people there too. If you are monogamous you only need to find one person, the right person for you. Frank and I met that way back in 2000.

Moemg: Your post had me laughing my head off. I remember on "The Golden Girls" when Dorothy (the gray headed one) had Blanche (the slutty one) look in a mirror with the mirror held down at her waist. Then her facial skin fell forward and Blanche freaked out...hysterical. Blanche swore to always have sex on her back after that. Only an older woman would see the humor in that, because it's so true...sad...but true. Funny stuff!
You know, I was really paranoid when I first got in a swimsuit for the pool, because I wasn't "perfect." Then I remembered what some old woman told me once: "They (meaning men) don't look so hot either." She was right I concluded and lost my anxiety about it totally figuring I look okay for an old broad.
The great thing about being an older woman is that older men actually focus alot on our personality more now (I think?). Maybe they don't want us focusing on their Dunlaps (as in their belly Dun-lapped over their belt) and their lack of hair. They have their hang-ups, too...thank God it isn't just us old babes who get insecure over our looks.

Back
Top Bottom