Join Early Retirement Today

Single length golf clubs
Old 09-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Single length golf clubs

Any golfers using single length? Please share your experience with them. I'm a relatively new golfer and am looking for information. thanks...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Bryson Dechambeau is a professional golfer who has gone that way. Wish he was not so analytical though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #3

Very cool of you to be thinking of same length golf clubs. As a more traditional golfer, I'll tell you, you're thinking outside the box. And that's a good thing. If I was to start over again, I'd want all my clubs to be the same length.

BTW, the reason for the same length golf clubs is what's known as the single plane swing. Youtube "Moe Norman", prepare to wonder, smile and enjoy. Moe was truly a golf savant.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
Bryson Dechambeau is a professional golfer who has gone that way. Wish he was not so analytical though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Analytical=SLOW

Tried single length clubs on the range one day. Didn't care for them. When I had a 9 iron in my hand I instinctively layed off the swing because the club seemed so long. Maybe if I truly gave it a try it might work. But then I would have to go buy new clubs!
Old 09-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #5

The Moe Norman videos on youtube are incredible. I've watched a bunch of them. Oddball guy but he could hit golf balls. Single plane swing and same length clubs both make sense to me, especially for a newer golfer who hasn't formed strong habits yet.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #6

One forum member purchased a same length iron set not too long ago, he mentioned it in the 'Golf Talk Tuesdays' thread. It wasn't from one of the well known manufacturers, I hadn't heard of them before and don't recall the name. Not sure if Bryson is on to something or not, it certainly hasn't caught on with other pros. Agree with the above, he thinks way too much. Reminds me a little of Bobby Clampett, at one time a promising young golfer who over analyzed everything and eventually couldn't get out of his own way, probably ending his golf career.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
One forum member purchased a same length iron set not too long ago, he mentioned it in the 'Golf Talk Tuesdays' thread. It wasn't from one of the well known manufacturers, I hadn't heard of them before and don't recall the name. Not sure if Bryson is on to something or not, it certainly hasn't caught on with other pros. Agree with the above, he thinks way too much. Reminds me a little of Bobby Clampett, at one time a promising young golfer who over analyzed everything and eventually couldn't get out of his own way, probably ending his golf career.
That might have been me. I bought a set of Tom Wishon single length clubs.
Here is my experience:

I'm a decent golfer, not great. Handicap index is 9. I found that I lost accuracy with the higher lofted clubs due to the extra length of the shafts (compared to a traditional variable length set) and lost clubhead speed needed to elevate the less lofted clubs due to the relatively shorter shaft.
Also, the clubs I bought had large game improvement heads compared to my cavity back variable length set (also Tom Wishon designed)...so I bagged the experiment and am back to my variable length Tom Wishon cavity backs.

Just my experience. It was fun to try, didn't work for me. That doesn't mean it won't work for you.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:34 PM   #8

Why not just use a single club?
A 5 iron.
Do you really need more?
I mean, you are never going to shoot a 60, so why carry a whole bag of clubs?
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:18 AM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

A friend of mine uses the Cobra single length irons and loves them. It took him a while to get used to them but he is hitting them better than ever now. He shot a 76 yesterday.
mckittri2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:12 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
Very cool of you to be thinking of same length golf clubs. As a more traditional golfer, I'll tell you, you're thinking outside the box. And that's a good thing. If I was to start over again, I'd want all my clubs to be the same length.

BTW, the reason for the same length golf clubs is what's known as the single plane swing. Youtube "Moe Norman", prepare to wonder, smile and enjoy. Moe was truly a golf savant.
Not really. There's no reason to use a one plane swing with SL clubs and Moe Norman did not use SL clubs,

Single Length Clubs / Irons – Moe Norman Golf

The whole idea behind SL is that it's easier to swing one club that is the same length and weight, thus giving you consistency. Many average golfers struggle with the 4-5 irons because they don't have the swing speed to get those irons airborne with the shorter shafts. They tend to hit them low and often hit the 4-5-6 the same distance or thereabouts.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:14 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Probably Pinhawks or Wishon Sterlings?
Old 09-14-2019, 07:39 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
Here is my experience:

I'm a decent golfer, not great. Handicap index is 9. I found that I lost accuracy with the higher lofted clubs due to the extra length of the shafts (compared to a traditional variable length set) and lost clubhead speed needed to elevate the less lofted clubs due to the relatively shorter shaft.
Also, the clubs I bought had large game improvement heads compared to my cavity back variable length set (also Tom Wishon designed)...so I bagged the experiment and am back to my variable length Tom Wishon cavity backs.

Just my experience. It was fun to try, didn't work for me. That doesn't mean it won't work for you.
That's what I was guessing might happen. There is a reason that the clubs have different lengths. Are the swings with the different clubs really that different? All that I really see changing is that you can stand the same distance from the ball with any iron.

Less importantly, it's probably tougher to find the right club in the bag. If you're looking for the 5 iron, you're looking for a longer club. 9 iron, shorter.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
Here is my experience:

That tends to be how it goes with SL.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:44 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
A 5 iron.
Do you really need more?
You obviously don't play golf.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
A 5 iron.
Do you really need more?

Lol! I gotta stop reading these while drinking something. Just about blew it through my nose...
Old 09-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Are the swings with the different clubs really that different? All that I really see changing is that you can stand the same distance from the ball with any iron.
In addition to standing closer or further from the ball, your swing plane also changes.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Just make all your swings like Happy Gilmore and you'll be fine
Old 09-14-2019, 09:49 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

We have guys on my softball team that swing like this:
Old 10-12-2019, 05:22 PM   #19

Sterling single length clubs get here Monday. Iíll post some thoughts. Iíve been hitting the range with my 7 iron to prepare for the SL clubs.. hope itís fun...
Old 10-12-2019, 08:44 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Haha, I just bought some Cobra 7 SL heads for $70. Throw in some Miyazaka shafts I got on clearance from Rock Bottom Golf for $1.20 each and it's a cheap experiment. The grips may be the most expensive part of the club.