Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #361
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

A kind gesture, but why did you do it? Frankly, I'd be a little insulted if a man paid for my car repair. I'm not a damsel in distress!
At the time she was still dealing with the financial fallout of her husbands passing. We were starting to be serious, and she really appreciated it.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I had no idea what Mr. A was "worth" when we got married. We didn't discuss net worth. I knew he paid child support, had a house, claimed to pay his bills every month and not carry a balance (which turned out to be true), and drove a very beat-up car he'd bought from a friend. I also knew I loved him. Edit to add: In this whole thread, sex and money are mentioned a lot, but love comes up very seldom. I wonder why that is?
I'm guessing you are not a fan of Tina Turner?
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #363
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
Sex and money *generally* come up a lot faster than one will "fall in love". If you can't get past the 'hurdles' on the way to falling in love, it's pretty well impossible to get to that point. While I may not jump in bed with a woman the first night I meet her, the odds are very high that we'll be sleeping together before I get to the point of "being in love" if history is any indication. Based on history, I'll also have a strong indication of how our values regarding money compare long before that point is reached.

This.

I shared a bed with a chemo pump at end of the last marriage, and I'm willing to do so again. Will have to be another special lady and sorting out the things that have been discussed in this thread is part getting to that level of commitment.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:05 AM   #364
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe it is that the thread really started out with a focus on online dating, and meeting people just for dates.

By contrast, Mr. A. and I worked together. I mean really worked, as in coming in on weekends to deal with work crises, grumbling about the same co-workers, discussing the news, etc. It was obvious we shared the same values. And he had great taste, as I've mentioned earlier. I had given up on finding that in an attractive package.

Intellectual and moral compatibility was the linchpin; I didn't worry about sex. If you are strongly attracted, sex takes care of itself, except of course where medical problems are present. At least, that has been my (admittedly limited) experience. I've only been married twice.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
A wise former boss used to say there are 3 issues that break up a marriage: sex, money and squeezing the toothpaste tube in the middle.
This reminded me - about a year after DW and I got married my younger sister hesitantly asked "So how are things going with you and DW?"

I replied "Well, the worst thing I can say about her is that she squeezes the toothpaste tube in the middle, but I guess I can live with that". Sister thought that was cute.

DW still squeezes the tube in the middle and I still don't care.

Next month will complete the 29th year so I think it's gonna work.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #366
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
This reminded me - about a year after DW and I got married my younger sister hesitantly asked "So how are things going with you and DW?"

I replied "Well, the worst thing I can say about her is that she squeezes the toothpaste tube in the middle, but I guess I can live with that". Sister thought that was cute.

Funny, ever since DW and I have been married, we have separate toothpaste tubes. I wonder if that's an omen of some kind?
Old 06-14-2017, 04:25 PM   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Funny, ever since DW and I have been married, we have separate toothpaste tubes. I wonder if that's an omen of some kind?
I doubt it, we've usually had different brands of toothpaste too. That's one reason why I don't care where she squeezes it.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:48 PM   #368

Quote:
We do too, we have separate sink so that's why. Plus my husband just switched over to a different brand because his teeth is more sensitive.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:23 PM   #369
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:

Had to chuckle. We use different types of toothpaste. I have never thought about changing.
Capwest28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #370
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure which is worse, that a relationship depends on something as minor as squeezing the toothpaste from the middle, or that people who squeeze the toothpaste in the middle annoy me...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:56 PM   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I'm not sure which is worse, that a relationship depends on something as minor as squeezing the toothpaste from the middle, or that people who squeeze the toothpaste in the middle annoy me...
I use toothpaste in an upside-down plastic bottle. Problem solved.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:02 PM   #372
Give me a forum ...

I have one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Simon-Stelz-T...+tube+squeezer

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:01 AM   #373
Give me a forum ...

Toothpaste is cheap. If the toothpaste is messed up, throw it away and get a new tube.

I also read about people fighting over which way the toilet paper is hung. I couldn't care less which way the toilet paper is hung - it still comes off the roll. It only bothers me if people don't replace an empty roll. And even then, I know where the spare rolls are in the bathroom cupboard.

I really think some people look for reasons to disagree. Like the ones who worry about "sex incompatibility" - they probably make a big deal out of who touched what first, or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote